Options

Camera for Kenya Tanzania Classic Safari

I currently have a Nikon Coolpix P-7000 that has the equivalent of a 200mm lens; I'm wondering if this will allow me to get good quality close-up pictures of most of the animals we will see on this trip. Does anyone have recommendations?

fresnonorm

Comments

• Options
    Generally, 200 mm is about the minimum focal length people think of when they talk about "close up" on "safari." Whether this makes you happy depends on what you mean by close up - the frame filled by a single wildebeast or just its face. I suggest that you take your camera to the nearest zoo and practice on large animals at distances of up to 100 yards. If that doesn't make you happy, there are relatively inexpensive (a few hundred dollars) point-and-shoot cameras on the market with an effective focal length of 600 mm or more. However, at that length the quality of your photo depends on how steady you can hold the camera. Long lens are intended for use with tripods, which you can't use most of the time on safari.
  • Options
    Good advice, thank you.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    We went on this great trip in early Sept and the camera I took was a Sony 50X. It was the perfect camera for getting those long shots. This camera has a built in stablizer..no tripod necessary.
  • Options
    Hi Fresnonorm...I'm guessing there is no limit to the number of answers you might get to your question. The feedback from Nick and Candace is excellent. I really liked Nick's suggestion of going to the zoo and doing a test run.

We will leave on our 4th safari in January and I will carry the same camera I purchased for the first safari. It has also accompanied me to Russia, Egypt and Israel. The camera is the Canon Power Shot SX30IS. In addition to a built in stabilizer and other positive features, this Canon has a 35X Optical Zoom. In other words, it offers great flexibility for me when either close up or long range wildlife opportunities present themselves. The camera also takes excellent video which we are now routinely embedding in our safari blogs.

My wife has the Power Shot SX50IS. There is also at least one newer version than hers. Still, I stick with my SX30IS as it has proven reliable in all manner of situations. The price is also quite reasonable. I just went on-line and found new SX30IS cameras selling from $149.99 to $235.00. The $149.99 is about half what I paid for mine new which...to me...makes it a heck of a deal.

I know you will find something that works for you but, remember, take extra batteries and memory cards with you. You will not want to copy my poor example of running out of battery power in the middle of a lion stalking a zebra in the Ngorongoro Crater. Good Luck...

Leo M
  • Options
    Leo M wrote:

I know you will find something that works for you but, remember, take extra batteries and memory cards with you. You will not want to copy my poor example of running out of battery power in the middle of a lion stalking a zebra in the Ngorongoro Crater. Good Luck...

Leo M

Oh no, Leo! Only one thing to say about that … b****r … :(
    It's always a race when I get into a hotel room. Charge all the camera batteries, the laptop, etc., etc., or um …..well, you know….. ;)

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Hi There Jan...Really good to hear from you again. Hope all is well. I am a devoted reader of everything you submit to the Forum. I have learned so much from you. I will always be grateful.

Question...Were you sitting behind me in the safari vehicle in Ngorongoro that day when I discovered my battery had died? Your "one thing to say about that" sounded very much like what I said that day! Fortunately, we were both too polite to subject Forum readers to the unabridged version.

All the best for a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year from the U.S. Gulf Coast...

Leo M
  • Options
    Oh, Leo, you are too sweet!

The thing about Ngorongoro is that the word always makes me laugh. I know, a natural zoo and all that, but the thing I remember is more along the plumbing line.

Picture this. 1975. Game run vehicles were a little less padded then and I had less natural padding. Quite a bit less, but that's another story. Early morning. Bouncing up the crater sides and down into the "zoo". Bouncing around for a couple of hours game viewing. A 'comfort' stop in the middle of nowhere. I really needed that comfort stop but I was reluctant to face the horrors of primitive plumbing in the middle of nowhere. So I "persuaded" a nice bloke from the mid-west to test run the facilities for me. Back he came with the report that there was a nice flushing toilet. What! In the middle of the Ngorongoro Crater! Well, I got a bit huffy. There was no need to make fun of a lady in distress. So I summoned up all my courage and entered the little building in the middle of nowhere. And what did I behold? Well may you ask. A fully functional, porcelain, flushing toilet and a matching pedestal handbasin with fresh running water. All perfectly clean and fresh. Can't remember if there was soap and an embroidered hand towel. I was in shock by that stage. But much relieved. I returned sheepishly to apologise to the nice bloke from the mid-west. All he said, in the fashion of blokes from anywhere, regardless of his mid-western origins, was …"I told you so." He didn't understand at all why I hadn't believed him.

Have a wonderful Christmas and New Year, too, Leo. And enjoy your New Year trip back to Africa.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    I used a Nikon coolpix P520 super zoom (42 zoom), and it was perfect for this trip! I met at least 4 others on safari who were using the same camera (2 in our group and 2 in another Tauck group). My pictures were outstanding, and sometimes I caught shots of animals that I couldn't see with my naked eye. The built-in stabilizer helped negate my shaky hands when using the full zoom. Leo is correct about the extra battery. I brought two batteries and kept both charged and always used both on a busy day.
This discussion has been closed.