Borghese Gallery booking

Just returned from enjoyable trip, but thought I would write regarding Borghese booking. One of the posts in this forum suggested booking the final 5PM time for touring the gallery on the day of arrival in Rome so we followed the suggestion. Unfortunately, the bus arrived at our Rome hotel at 4:45 PM and the Borghese gives tickets away that are not picked up by 4:30 so we lost our paid reservations.
Our guide was perplexed by why several of her previous trips had guests prebooking the same time with similar results, so I told her I would post in the forum to contradict the posted recommendation. DO NOT book the Borghese Gallery for the day you arrive in Rome. Save it for subsequent days.

Comments

• I did the tickets on the day of arrival knowing I took my chances. I did get there on time to get the tickets shortly after 4:30. I did not want to do them any other day not knowing what part of the city I might be in. The other thing is the after hours tour might be on any of the 2 nights you are in town. That is up to the Vatican on what night they will allow Tauck to do it if they even allow it.
  • More certain to do it late afternoon on a subsequent day, say 3PM, with no conflict with afterhours Vatican visit. You could still fit in optional site visits during early afternoon with no problem.
  • Yes I agree with a 3pm. It is easy to grab a cab from we're ever you are after lunch.
This discussion has been closed.