Options

Grand Australia/New Zealand Tour -- October 28th

We're looking for others who will be on this tour. Looking forward to new adventures, great sights, and meeting interesting people.

Comments

• Options
    When you return, will you share with me the weather conditions on your trip? Would especially like to know about NZ-- whether it is cold and/or rainy? Also, want to know if you experienced much rain in AU? I am looking forward to this "bucket list" trip in 2014.
  • Options
    Hi HuntNFun,

Here's the weather information from Tauck's "Need to Know" section on the Grand Australia and New Zealand itinerary page, current as of today, October 16, 2013:

The seasons in Australia and New Zealand are opposite of those in the northern hemisphere. During the months of October through May, temperatures typically average 70-90 ºF (21-32 ºC) in Australia and 60-75 ºF (16-24 ºC) in New Zealand. During the months of June through September, temperatures average 40-60 ºF (4-16 ºC) in Australia and 50 ºF (10 ºC) in New Zealand. In Northern Australia, you will find tropical weather all year round.
    To determine current weather conditions, we suggest you go to noaa.gov, by clicking here.

I hope this helps!

Sincerely,
    Tim
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    We are going on the Oct. 28th Grand trip. This is our first Tauck adventure and I am sooooo excited. Also looking forward to meet and greet. I am alittle concerned about the long flight over. any suggestions out there for how to best handle it. I have never been on such a long plane experience. -paula
  • Options
    Hi Paula,

Don't be concerned about the flight. We do it all the time!

Seriously, don't predicate your trans-Pacific flight on your US domestic experiences. I imagine you are flying on a normal airline ...Air New Zealand, United ... even Qantas, rather than a cut-price nightmare. Think of the experience as a ... day in the life. Working on a flight time of approximately 15:30 hours between LAX and MEL, you will have time to read, eat at least 2 meals, have a couple of glasses of wine and 4 bottles of water, watch a couple of movies and catch up on the TV series episodes you missed and have a snooze and a sleep. Oh, and keep wiggling you feet. Very important!

If you face the experience with an open mind and treat it as the overture to your short Australian adventure, we will be welcoming you back to the land down under for your next visit in no time! As we say, no worries, mate!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    HuntNfun wrote:
    When you return, will you share with me the weather conditions on your trip? Would especially like to know about NZ-- whether it is cold and/or rainy? Also, want to know if you experienced much rain in AU? I am looking forward to this "bucket list" trip in 2014.

Hi HuntNfun,

You don't say when you are visiting us. I won't go into the statistics ... you can check them for yourself ... I'll keep my remarks to practical, travel survival tips!

Pack for layers ... layers you can add and subtract as required. My personal solution is fine micron pure wool. It works wonderfully in extreme heat ... yes, it does ... and you can layer on 2 or more extra pieces as required. I am not suggesting you wear a polar strength wooly in the tropics, rather a singlet or short sleeved top. The same works for silk. I wear natural fibres that I can wash myself in the bathroom and can (mostly ... I know it just depends!) have dry in the morning, or at least dry enough to pack between layers of plastic in your case. I keep the synthetics and cottons for evening/dinner time on the premise that I will only have them on for a few hours, probably in air-conditioned comfort, and can maybe get a few wears out of them before having to wash and dry.

I always pack a folding umbrella and a light-weight rain slicker type of thing ... regardless of where in the world I'm travelling. Since you will be covering enormous distances, and thus climates, during your trip, I can't say that there is one answer. It's more like how long is a piece of string. Chances are, however, that you will not experience the extremes of cold you may be familiar with in the States. You can always pick up a sun hat or warm scarf along the way.

Cheers,

Jan

This discussion has been closed.