Options

Black Sea to Budapest 2012

Hi,

Anyone going on this river cruise in 2012? We're thinking of doing it since my DH's family is from Romania.

Sheila

Comments

• Options
    Hello, My husband and I are going on the trip from May 27th. is that the one you are on. We plan on going the whole way to Amsterdam. How about you?
  • Options
    Hi globetrotter,

We're on the August 19th sailing and only going as far as Budapest. I would love to hear all about your river cruise when you return. Just post something here. We took Tauck's Rhine/Moselle Rivers cruise in 2010 and loved it.

Sheila
  • Options
    I am also planning to go to Cyprus with my family...I already booked Cyprus Villas(villasrentcyprus) for 15 days...I am very excited my trip to Cyprus...
  • Options
    Hi Sheila,Will keep you informed, We live in Florida and Wisconsin and have made many trips with Tauck, so looking forward to it. Joyce
  • Options
    Hi Globetrotter,

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise/tour. We've also been on many tours with Tauck and used a different company in September and was so sorry. We leave for their India tour in February. They do such a good job.

Sheila
  • Options
    ScorpioS wrote:
    Hi Globetrotter,

Looking forward to hearing about your cruise/tour. We've also been on many tours with Tauck and used a different company in September and was so sorry. We leave for their India tour in February. They do such a good job.

Sheila
    I am sure you will love being with Tauck in India, we were on the Palace on Wheels with Great Rail Journeys and were truly enthralled. Went up to Shimla and then traveled on train through India had been to the Taj Mahal before but still exciting the second time. Hotels are outstanding, food is so so. Have a wonderful time. Joyce
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    ScorpioS wrote:
    We're on the August 19th sailing and only going as far as Budapest.

Sheila

We are planning on this trip as well (our fourth Tauck tour). See you in August! Jerry.
  • Options
    Hi Jerry,

So you are on our sailing -- Bucharest to Budapest or are you going all the way to Amsterdam? When are you flying into Bucharest?

Sheila
  • Options
    ScorpioS wrote:
    Hi Jerry,

So you are on our sailing -- Bucharest to Budapest or are you going all the way to Amsterdam? When are you flying into Bucharest?

Sheila

We are arriving in Bucharest a day early (Aug 18), for time to unwind and explore a bit on our own. We have some Romanian friends who will give us some advice on what to do.
  • Options
    Hi,

We are flying in on the 17th and will spend two nights at the hotel until we start the tour on the 19th. Our friends are arriving on the 18th. We will be two couples from California. Where are you from?

Sheila
  • Options
    ScorpioS wrote:
    Hi,

We are flying in on the 17th and will spend two nights at the hotel until we start the tour on the 19th. Our friends are arriving on the 18th. We will be two couples from California. Where are you from?

Sheila

We live in the Detroit, Michigan suburbs. The Tauck site says that this trip is sold out. We were on the waiting list for a room upgrade from steerage to a real room (i.e., from lower floor with no big window to the main floor with a floor-to-ceiling window) and it came through a few weeks ago. We're inviting local friends from Romania, Serbia, and Hungary to dinner in a few weeks to pick their brains. Looking forward to this!

Jerry and Suzanne
  • Options
    Hi Jerry and Suzanne,

Looking forward to meeting you both. Glad you were able to get a upgrade. If we don't meet you both at the Welcome Party, we're in Cabin 206 and our friends are in 204. We took the Jewel two years ago on the Rhine/Moselle Rivers and loved it. I understand from some comments that we have several long rides on this cruise/tour. Would you ask your friends about some of the choices in tours? My friend spoke to someone from Romania who suggested we go to the island where the Monastery sis located since the ride to Bran is very very long and the Castle doesn't look like what is in the colorful brochure. I guess we can also check with our Tour Director after we meet him or her.

Have a safe flight.

Sheila Monroe

• Options
    KRKR
    edited July 2012
    Hi -

We are also arriving on 8/17. We're from Denver and will be in cabin 202. Our first trip with Tauck! After Budapest, we change hotels and join another Tauck river cruise from Budapest to Prague.

Kathy and Bernie

ScorpioS wrote:
    Hi,

Sheila
  • Options
    Hi Kathy and Bernie,

Looking forward to meeting you on this very interesting river cruise. We will be cabin no. 206. I know you will love your Tauck experience. We are going on number 18 with Tauck and they really know how to do it right!!

Sheila and Irwin
  • Options
    Looking forward to meeting Sheila and Kathy and Bernie. I think we're in cabin 228. One friend suggested a restaurant called Caru cu bere, so we made reservations to eat there the day we arrive jet-lagged (Saturday, August 18). Another friend said it might be noisy (it's rather touristy, I understand, with music). The first friend also recommended the restaurant in the hotel Casa Capsa (and the other friend said it was good). We have not heard from our best source yet (a local person with sisters who live in Bucharest). We are doing the castle and the Black Sea day trips (the third-mentioned friend agreed with that choice) before the cruise starts. We thought we'd explore Bucharest on our own Sunday before dinner -- the National Village, the Palace of Parliament, the Jewish History Museum, and just walking around. Our experience is that it's hard to go wrong with Tauck (our previous trips were Greece-Island cruise-Istanbul, eastern European cities, and heli-hiking in Canadian Rockies). This month's issue of Conde Nast Traveler has several articles on river cruising; they give an interesting characterization of Tauck clientele (check it out!).

Jerry and Suzanne
  • Options
    Hi Jerry and Suzanne and Kathy and Bernie,

We are arriving in Bucharest late (11:30 p.m.) the night of August 17th on British Air flight 6374 from Heathrow. Since you are new to Tauck, make sure your TA has given Tauck your arrival info so you can be picked up at the airport.

Our last name is Monroe if you are interesting in meeting us before our welcome party on the 19th.

Jerry, our friends will be in the night of August 18th. We were considering doing the National Village and the Jewish History museum also on the 19th. I downloaded some info about an on-off bus. I will ask the Concierge on August 18th about it. We have decided to take the tour to Bran Castle in Transylvania after reading some comments on Cruise Critic. We've been in Constanta before on a Black Sea Cruise and were not interested in going back there. We will take the alternate trip to get to the ship on Day 3 and see the People's Palace (Romanian Parliament) that day.

Safe travels to all of you.

Sheila and Irwin

• Options
    Hi, Sheila and Irwin, Jerry and Suzanne -

We are really looking forward to meeting all of you! Yes - Tuack has our arrival information and will pick us up late afternoon on the 17th. Thanks for the restaurant information - I hadn't gotten that far yet in my research! Looks like we will also choose the excursion to Bran Castle and then the next day to the Black Sea. Since we have the better part of 2 days before the welcome dinner on the 19th, we should be able to see the Palace of Parliament, the Jewish Synagogue/Museum and the National Village (didn't know about this last one, but I looked it up just now and it does look interesting). I am going to look up the information about the on-off buses. Sheila and Irwin - Maybe we will see you at breakfast on the 18th - Look for a very short person (that would be me!) with glasses and an average height man with white hair and glasses, perhaps wearing a photography vest. We won't call your room in the morning, on the chance that you may actually be able to sleep a bit later after getting in so late the night before!

Kathy and Bernie Steinberg
  • Options
    Hi Kathy and Bernie,

See you at the hotel. Hope your travelling goes well and you arrive safely. I heard that the Marriott has some good restaurants as well.

Sheila
  • Options
    Hi, Sheila,

Yes - I saw that. Not much time for research this weekend - Our grandson becomes a Bar Mitzvah on Saturday. Once all the relatives leave next week, we will be in full "trip prep" mode! Feel free to write to my email address:

krsteinb2012@hotmail.com

I am more likely to check that than this forum, at least in the next week.

Kathy
    ScorpioS wrote:
    Hi Kathy and Bernie,

See you at the hotel. Hope your travelling goes well and you arrive safely. I heard that the Marriott has some good restaurants as well.

Sheila
  • Options
    Hi, all -

We are here after 3 flights, all deayed, from Denver. Ate at Caru Cu Bere - good Romanian food. Try to sit outside - very nice and you avoid the noise, but be sure to look inside at the decor! Sheila and Irwin - maybe we will see you at breakfast - may do the hop-on hop-off bus.
This discussion has been closed.