Options

tsetse fly

We are traveling to Tanzania in December. What can we expect in terms of dealing with tsetse flies and possible infection from their bites while om safari?

Comments

• Options
    I just saw your posting about the dreaded tsetse. We have been on three safaris thus far and are preparing for a fourth in January 2014. We were in Tanzania & Kenya with Tauck in January / February 2012. Our only tsetse encounter took place between Ngorongoro and the Serengeti when we passed through part of the Great Migration....literally tens of thousands of wildebeest and zebras. The tsetse flies were thick but seemed more interested in the animals. Our guide was bitten on the arm. We let him daub the bite area with the disinfectant pen we brought with us and he was fine. We did not met up with any other tsetses on this trip.

We went to the remotely located Tanzanian National Parks of Ruaha and Kitavi in October / November 2012. Both Parks have areas of intense tsetse infestation. We were told the tsetses are at their worst during the end of the dry season. That is when we were there and they were bad. The bites are painful but we used our disinfectant pen and had no problem with infection.

This year we were in Botswana, Zambia and Zimbabwe in the coldest months (June & July). For the most part, the tsetse were absent. However, we did encounter pockets of them in densely vegetated areas, especially in the Okavango Delta (Botswana) and Kafue (Zambia). There were no major problems though.

I would encourage you not to wear any black or dark blue items of apparel. They seem to be drawn to these colors. In fact, in many areas near human habitation you will see black / blue cloth stretched on poles along the road side. These are intended to lure the tsetses away from people and livestock. I am told they are soaked in insecticide but I doubt that. Moreover, we have not found any repellant that is 100% effective.

Tsetses will bite right through your clothes. Even so, long sleeves and long pants do help. We also take a "buff" with us. Depending on how it is worn, the buff will cover your head, neck, ears and most of your face. That really helps. When in a safari vehicle, tsetses head for the floor where there is less air circulation. If you are not wearing socks, be prepared for a very uncomfortable time.

The good news is that tsetses are not everywhere. Your Guides will know where they are and how to avoid them (except in the middle of the Great Migration). They will also keep moving in tsetse areas. Remember, if tsetses were not where they are every bit of excellent wild animal habitat would already be gone and you would have no reason to go on safari.

Prepare as best you can but don't let concern over tsetses ruin your trip. Good luck...Leo M.

This discussion has been closed.