Options

October 12 Trip

Is anyone else on the October 12 trip? We are arriving on Arusha on the 11th (after an overnight in Nairobi) and looking forward to a great trip!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Joyce- my husband, Stephen, and I are booked on the October 12th Kenya/Tanzania adventure! Getting very excited. And trying to get myself organized! We are coming from Tucson. How about you?
    Looking forward to meeting you on the 12th! Aimee Doctoroff
  • Options
    Hi Aimee,
    How great to hear from someone else on this tour! We were actually supposed to take the Egypt/Jordan tour beginning next Monday, but it was cancelled in August. We were thrilled to find room on this tour (which I have wanted to take for some time...hubby wasn't so sure but is now very excited about it)! We have been rushing around getting shots, visas, better camera equipment, etc. , but it has been fun! We had to use the same carrier we were using for the other trip, British Air, so getting to Arusha will be a bit of a trek! We are from the San Francisco Bay Area, and will leave next Tuesday , the 8th. We spend a night in London, a night in Nairobi, and then arrive in Arusha on the 11th. This will be our 12th Tauck trip, and we are sure it will be fantastic!
    Looking forward to meeting you...
    Joyce Welch
  • Options
    Hi Joyce- looking forward to meeting you! We leave Tucson next Monday. Will spend 2 nights in Amsterdam and then fly to Arusha to meet the group. Trying to get stuff organized to leave. We've travelled with Tauck several times and are always impressed by their organization and expertise. Our first trip to Africa! Very exciting! See you next week!
    Safe travels- Aimee
  • Options
    We just got back from this trip a week ago. You are going to love it! I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. You are in for the trip of a lifetime!
  • Options
    How great to get first-hand info!! We are really looking forward to this trip! I guess my biggest question is about the weather you experienced. Hot, cold, overcast, sunny, rainy, dusty??? Insects?? What were some of the highlights, and what do you wish you had brought?? What are you really glad that you did bring?? There has been a lot of conflicting info about changing for dinner...some say not to bother, others say it is nice to shower and put on fresh clothing...what was your experience? Did this trip meet your expectations about the animals you saw?? Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated!!!
    Joyce
  • Options
    The weather was perfect. In the mornings and evenings, we wore sweaters or light jackets. The hottest day was 82 degrees with no humidity. By the time you go, it may be a little cooler. When we got back to our hotels in time to shower before dinner, we did. It was nice to freshen up. No one brought dressy clothes at all. Some put on the clothes they'd wear the next day. I brought a pair of black slacks and three tops and I rotated them. (Not fancy tops) . We were never bothered by bugs at all except at the Massai village where there were lots of flies. Do put on bug spray every day though. It only rained one afternoon but it was good to see how the animals reacted. We saw animals every single day! We saw lions, zebras, elephants, buffalo, giraffes, rhinos, hippos, leopard (only one) , cheetahs, gazelles and birds. Met our wildest expectations! We got to see a kill which was very interesting. Our guide has been doing this for six years though and this was only the second kill she had seen. Our Tauck guide was Stacie and she was great. The driver guides are full of information so ask them questions. I really can't think of anything I wished I had brought. At the Massai village, the Massai men asked some of the men to trade their wristwatches for something the Massai had. Maybe you might want to bring an inexpensive man's watch and offer it to one of the Massai. At the school, we brought pencils, crayons, notebooks. Anything you bring is greatly appreciated. They have next to nothing.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    Thank you SO MUCH for the great info!! What you have written is so helpful! I am on the same page about the black pants!! Good to have my supposition confirmed. I can only hope we get to see as many animals as you have! It seems as though Tauck never fails to deliver on a wonderful trip!
    Joyce
  • Options
    Our trip was the beginning of Sep and your weather might be a little warmer. We only needed a jacket at night and the early am balloon ride. Short sleeve shirts w/long sleeve shirt to start the day were sufficient. Laundry with overnight service was available at all hotels including the tent camp. Internet access was good everywhere except the Mt. Kenya Safari Club where it was intermittent. There are several schools that Tauck visits, but the one we visited was in Amboseli. It was an elementary school with students up to about 12 years old. A blackboard was the only thing on the walls inside. There were large, permanent boards outside the classrooms with info such as a cut away of the human body with the parts identified. All donated materials were collected to go to a central location to be divided among several schools in the area. The only printed material I saw were notebooks that were printed by hand and used by several students. If you take teaching materials, consider getting it laminated on both sides. I did not see any books, educational or fun. We took too many mosquito repellents, lens cleaners, hand cleaners, tissues. It was dusty, bumpy, and the best trip of our lifetime.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for posting the great information!! We leave tomorrow and will arrive in Tanzania on Friday. We are prepared for all sorts of weather conditions. Thanks for the heads up on the tissues, cleaners, etc...of course, we have all kinds, tucked into corners and pockets of our suitcases!! We fear we will never find them again until we arrive home, so it's good to know they might not be needed in the quantity we expected!! Sounds as if you had a wonderful trip, and we are hoping for the same!!
  • Options
    I really dislike asking negatives on the Forum, but am trying to make a decision regarding this tour.

The recent terror incident in Nairobi got my attention. What was the reaction by those of you that have taken this tour?
  • Options
    We were in Nairobi after the airport fire and just before the mall incident. We considered that we were there for a very short period of time based on the length of the outstanding trip. I would consider it a trip of the lifetime and we have traveled extensively. Consider if you would completely avoid coming to the United States or not go to New York, Washington, Boston, or LA based on recent events in those cities. My vote would be to go and enjoy a wonderful experience.
  • Options
    My wife and I were scheduled for this tour last month, but unfortunately she twisted her ankle and we had to cancel. So we've rebooked for next Sept. I'm in the process of booking our flights and I was wondering what you guys did on the last day in Nairobi. I'm interested in visiting a couple of of places, like the Sheldrick Elephant sanctuary where they raise the orphaned baby elephants, and perhaps the Karen Blixen (Out Of Africa) Plantation and Museum. I was wondering if there was any time or opportunity to do this on the last day, or if perhaps I should book our flight a day later so we would have an extra day after the tour. What time did your flight arrive in Nairobi and what did you do? The Tauck itinerary really doesn't give any specifics about the last day. Thanks.
  • Options
    We just finished this tour a few hours ago and are killing time in the lounge at Heathrow, so I can probably respond to both previous questions.
    1. Nairobi...we stayed in Nairobi for a night and day on the way to Arusha. Nairobi, in my mind, is a very safe place to be right now. There is heightened security everywhere you might go. Hotels (stayed in a different one on the way there) scan all incoming vehicles and lobbies have metal detectors. We even went to the Village Market (a local mall-type shopping center) next to The Tribe Hotel, where we stayed, and the security guards and armed militia were a very visible presence. I agree with LLVicky's analogy...
    2. About the last day in Nairobi...you are flying in from the Masai Mara. We didn't arrive until about 12:30 due to some technical difficulties with the airplane. The Serena is a lovely, bustling business hotel. We did not feel that we would have had any time for touring other than walking around the hotel gardens, which are lovely. You are arriving with the duffles that you packed for two nights at the Masai Mara. Your other luggage, from the Mt. Kenya Safari Club will be waiting for you in your room. I think all of us spent the time organizing and repacking for our trip home...finding room for new purchases, sorting clothing (dusty, dustier, dustiest???), changing our hand luggage around, and delighting in the steady showers! You have lunch and dinner there and then leave for the airport at 6:15 or so. The international flights leave very late. The temporary international airport waiting area is not too pleasant...hopefully, the terminal will be rebuilt soon. My suggestion would be to book an extra day if you have your heart set on visiting these places. We did visit the animal orphanage at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club, but there were no baby elephants there at the time.
    This is a phenomenal trip!!
  • Options
    Joyce,

I guess you should be home by now and hope you had a pleasant flight. Thanks for the info. We're flying with miles and as it turns out there was an itinerary that had a connection in Dublin. My son and his family are moving to Ireland in March, and when my wife saw the opportunity to stop in Dublin for a few days and see the grandkids, that trumped the baby elephants and spending an extra day in Nairobi. So we booked that itinerary which actually leaves in the wee hours the next morning (3:45 AM). I'm hoping that we may arrive in Nairobi early enough to go straight to the Sheldrick elephant sanctuary for the afternoon and then we should have enough time to get back to the hotel, repack, say our goodbyes, etc. I think we will probably book a room at the hotel for the night so we can leave for the airport maybe around 1 AM and not have to spend too much time at the airport. We are flying business class so I'm wondering if the lounges will be available. I guess I'll check as the time gets closer. Anyway, thanks for the response and I'm glad you had a great trip. I'm really looking forward to it (again!).
  • Options
    Hi Merlin,
    Yes, we are safely home and our one missing bag that another passenger mistakenly took off the carousel has been returned to us, although, it was delivered to us at 1:30 am!! My suggestion would be to call Tauck and run your plan by them. We took two buses from the airport to the hotel, where Tauck has a room reserved for you. I guess you could take a cab but would probably have to tote your hand luggage along, or you could take a cab from the hotel. It probably would depend on the location of the sanctuary. However, keep in mind, as we learned, all times in Africa are subject to change and are referred to as "-ish"...12ish, 2ish, etc. , so arrival time in Nairobi is iffy!
    Most people in our group were booked on KLM which left at 10:30 or so. We were the only ones on British Air, which left at 11:45 pm. We were all bused to the airport at the same time. I don't know what they would do about your 3:45 am departure. Just remember that Nairobi traffic is notoriously horrible!! Again, you might get some info from the Tauck home office about departure.
    Pray that the airport is repaired by the time you go. We, too, flew business, and, when it finally opened about 45 minutes after we got there, the " business lounge" consisted on a separate section of the regular lounge with straight back chairs, bolted together, and a "boxed snack." Water, in a yogurt cup sized container, was part of the box...no separate water bottles...no outlets to charge electronics, etc. we wandered down to the only restaurant that was open and bought water and a glass of wine...no vouchers from the airline. We shared a table with two gentlemen who were on the KLM flight, and they, too, were miffed about the situation, so I guess things weren't much better there.
    This is a phenomenal trip, and if your visit to the sanctuary doesn't work out, don't worry...you will see plenty of elephants, of all sizes on the rest of the trip! They will be at the watering hole at the Four Seasons (29 the day we were there), or you might get close up and personal as they cross the road in between the Tauck trucks,,as we had happen in our group!
    Joyce
This discussion has been closed.