Currency requirements? Rand vs U.S. dollar?

We'll be on the early December 2013 South Africa tour. It'll be our 5th Tauck tour. Would anyone know whether we can easily use U.S. dollars in the markets and with local vendors, or do they prefer/require the South African Rand as currency?

Comments

• I did this trip last September and remember most merchants, restaurants, etc. in South Africa wanted Rands. I don't remember being able to use US dollars much until we got to Zimbabwe.
  • Thanks smarks50! Will the South African hotels we're staying at exchange travelers checks for rands for us?
  • Can't say for sure but I know traveler's checks don't enjoy the popularity they once did. You could email the hotels (I assume the Cape Grace in Capetown and the DaVinci in Johannesburg - I doubt the game lodges would) and confirm their policies. I carried cash and traveled alone (split that between my purse and carry on and all rooms had safes or other safe-keeping); if you are a couple you could split that between yourselves.
  • Dear m3
    we are also on the early December trip. Where are you from and when will you be getting there? We are from New York and will arrive on Dec 5.
  • I just did this trip in September and you will need rands for South Africa. In Zimbabwe, credit cards or US money was not a problem. I exchanged cash for rands at the Cape Grace Hotel, although you can probably get a little better exchange rate at one of the banks in CapeTown. This is a great trip - Enjoy!
  • I wonder where most travelers exchanged their dollar for Rands...atm..hotels...banks?? Did anybody do it in US?
  • I ordered the Rands from my bank before leaving the US. Some of my traveling companions exchanged money at the hotels or local banks. Have no idea how exchange rates differed but for a few hundred dollars I don't think it makes a huge difference.
  • When we did this trip, we exchanged at the airport. We felt that this rate was better than the bank-assisted in the US. Otherwise, we felt that the banks in the country being visited had the very best rates. We tried exchanging in the US and the rate we got was the worst rate we experienced on that trip. We got a lot better rate at the arrival airport after we landed.
  • Teachercz wrote:
    Dear m3
    we are also on the early December trip. Where are you from and when will you be getting there? We are from New York and will arrive on Dec 5.

Hi Teachercz! We're from New Jersey, so we're practically neighbors. We'll be arriving on Dec 5th also, but it'll be late. We wanted a bit of time to decompress because we'll be arriving after having visited Madagascar earlier. My husband and I are eager to meet you! Have a safe trip.
  • m3 wrote:
    Hi Teachercz! We're from New Jersey, so we're practically neighbors. We'll be arriving on Dec 5th also, but it'll be late. We wanted a bit of time to decompress because we'll be arriving after having visited Madagascar earlier. My husband and I are eager to meet you! Have a safe trip.

Hi m3
    We also arrive late that night on KLM out of Amsterdam. (10:30pm) Have fun in Madagascar. Really sounds interesting.
    Safe travels
This discussion has been closed.