Options

How much cash?

I'm used to traveling with very little cash and using credit cards for nearly everything. But the Tauck documents say that there is generally a 10% surcharge in Kenya and Tanzania for using credit cards. I understand buying souvenirs and small items requires cash, but does this include, for instance, meals at the hotels (we are arriving 2 days early) or tours from the hotels on our early arrival days? Also, the recommended tour director gratuity (I figure $208 for 2 people), I assume should be in cash. Anyone have any experience with this?

Comments

• Options
    A couple of suggestions ...

If you buy your extra meals in your hotel and book your local tours through your hotel, you may be able to negotiate away the 10% surcharge. Also, you might consider using your ATM card to get local currency overseas. Check with your bank to identify fees involved. Finally, if you do carry cash to convert to local currency, take bills as close to fresh off the printing press as you can find (no stray marks or tears); many money changers either won't take well worn bills or offer a poorer exchange rate for them.
  • Options
    Hi Merlin,

The surcharges on the credit card are only in shops or other services outside the hotels. The hotels we stay in do not charge any extra when the guests are paying by credit card.

We have the following paragraph in our tour documents regarding the tour director gratuity:

Your Tauck Director is looking forward to meeting you!

One of the highlights of your Tauck journey will be your professional Tauck
    Director. Our Tauck Directors are passionate about sharing their knowledge of
    local customs, cultural traditions and contemporary topics with our guests, and
    they choreograph each day's activities and work tirelessly to ensure that you
    get the utmost enjoyment from your journey.

Gratuities for your Tauck Director are an important way for you to express your
    appreciation and to acknowledge their genuine, personal interaction and superior
    customer service.

What's more - and unlike most other tour guides - Tauck Directors receive no
    commissions on your shopping purchases, nor do they earn additional income by
    selling you options on tour. Instead their sole focus is on serving you, and
    making sure you have the best possible experience during your travels.

We ask that you extend gratuities on an individual basis rather than as a group,
    and we offer the following guidelines to assist you in determining an
    appropriate amount:

• USD $8 per traveler, per day for the Tauck Director, or the equivalent
    amount in local currency.

Please note: Although gratuities represent the majority of your Tauck
    Director's compensation, our policy prohibits Tauck Directors from directly
    soliciting gratuities.

All other service gratuities, including those for local guides, motorcoach
    driver(s), hotel bellmen, restaurant staff and others, have been included in the
    price of your journey.

Hope this helps,
    Aaron
  • Options
    Thanks Aaron. I read that section but I guess I overlooked the statement "USD $8 per traveler, per day for the Tauck Director, or the equivalent amount in local currency."

I also spoke to my bank, Chase. I advised them about traveling to Tanzania and Kenya, since for security they request that you tell them about travel plans prior to using credit cards. They told me that my credit cards should be OK, but since both countries are considered "High Risk" by them, my ATM card may not work - that their policy is that they don't pre-approve ATM card use for high risk countries. They said it may work, or I may have to call them on the day I choose to use the card. I told them that's a huge inconvenience. The manager of my local branch said I should email him at the time and he would take care of it. I think I'll just bring a larger than usual amount of cash in crisp, new US bills mainly in $10 and $20 denominations and try and avoid the whole issue.
  • Options
    Hi Merlin,

I just did this trip in July 2013. At the hotels you can charge everything to your room and then pay the bill with your credit card. There is no surcharge. Also, I found the prices at most of the hotel gift shops very reasonable, and it's nice to support them. You will need cash for the Maasi. That being said, I never had a problem because I didn't have new or crisp bills. Money is money, and that's what they are interested in. Take lots of singles! some locals will let you take their picture if you give them money. A dollar or two will suffice. I also never used an ATM because there was no need for local currency. The only currency I brought back was a few dollars for the grandchildren. I gave the guide his gratuity in cash - USD. Have fun. It's an awesome trip!
  • Options
    Merlin: just got home last night. Everything ok with you? We expected to meet you but our guide told us you had to cancel at the last minute.

• Options
    Hi Nanaangie,

We had a mishap. We were at Newark Airport on our way to Istanbul on the 4th, all checked in, relaxing in the lounge, and Ellen got up to get a snack, tripped on a step and twisted her ankle. Unbelievable - 45 mins before boarding. She couldn't walk on it or put weight on it. EMS came and took her to the hospital. They X-rayed it and said it was broken. So we had to cancel. We were both heartbroken. The next day we went the orthopaedist, who said it wasn't broken, but severely sprained. Sprains often are worse and take longer to heal, but Ellen was relieved because it meant that she could wear an "air cast." So she could remove it to shower, etc. unlike a permanent cast if it were broken. But in any event, she still couldn't walk on it or put weight on it so the trip was out. Since then it's been improving slowly. It's still achy and painful in the mornings or when she overdoes it, but it's healing slowly.

I read your post where you took 4500 pictures so it sounds like the trip was spectacular. We're gonna rebook, but it looks like we can't fit it in again until next September. Oh well, as one of my friends always says, no one died and it isn't cancer. I feel like an ingrate because now I'm complaining that we have to cancel a trip to China that we were planning for next year, to get the Africa trip in. We're very lucky if this is our biggest problem.

BTW, I have to say Tauck was great. They immediately refunded the entire cost of the trip (less an $1100 credit, the cost of the insurance, which we can use towards a trip within a year). The refund posted to our credit card within days.

Thanks for your concern and asking about us. I'm glad you guys had a great time.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your wife's ankle! What a shame. It was an absolutely fantastic trip. Make sure you go and September is a great time to go. We had perfect weather --- cool in the mornings and evenings and warm during the day but not humid. Wait until you see the hotels! They are fantastic! We saw over 30 different animals and saw many animals every day. We even got to see a kill which our guide had only seen one other time in six years of guiding! Happy to answer any other questions you might have.
This discussion has been closed.