Options

Gifts for School Children

Hi,

We are going on the Tanzania and Kenya Tour departing on Sept. 7th. In the guest documents booklet there is a section about a local school visit. The booklet mentions that we should feel free to bring "supplies" for donation. My wife and I are former teachers (actually Speech and Language Pathologists but we both worked in schools) and we are looking forward to the school visit and would love to bring anything that we could that would enrich the children's school experience or their lives in general. Is there anything more specific that anyone could suggest. Could you tell us how old the children are and what would be most beneficial and needed for them that is feasible for us to carry with us.

Thanks. Arnie & Ellen

Comments

• Options
    Arnie and Ellen: my husband and I are on that same tour. I am a retired elem school principal and I can't wait to go to the school. From what I understand, it's an elem school that Tauck helps to support. I am bringing pencils and crayons. I would love to bring more but the weight constrictions are hampering this. If I understand correctly, we can donate money to them too which we plan to do. Would also like to hear from anyone who has recently returned from this tour about what they brought.

Angie
  • Options
    The children we saw last year were in the 5 to 10 year old range. WE took pencils, crayon pencils which they really liked, some writing books etc. They really liked this kind of thing. Knowing kids have to be kids I took the ultimate item they could all use, a soccer ball. They went nuts over it. I had it deflated and it fit easily in my luggage, they have bicycle pumps so it was no problem for them to fill it up (just make sure you take the needle that comes with for this purpose) and they were playing with it almost immediately including the teacher. They were using it as a volley ball because I would last longer. They don't have much so anything you take will be appreciated.
    Gary
  • Options
    Angie, are you on the Sept. 7th or the Sept. 4th tour? For some reason I got the impression you were on the Sept. 4th. We were also thinking pens and crayons, maybe protractors and rulers. I really couldn't think of anything else. I thought of some notebooks (Staples has 1cent sales on a lot of this stuff this time of year), but I thought the notebooks would be too heavy and bulky to pack.

Gary, the soccer ball is a great idea. I just got 2 (different sizes) and needles and I'm really excited about seeing the kids with them.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Options
    Angie, I just looked back at the Sept. 4th forum and see that you are on the Sept. 7th tour. Looking forward to meeting you guys. Where were you a Principal?
  • Options
    We went on the June 15 tour. We asked the same question of our tour director who told us that everyone brings school supplies but what really makes it Christmas would be soccer balls. We took up a collection of (slightly) used and a few new soccer balls at our kids' school and labeled them with personal messages, and ended up with something like 9 balls. We also brought small frisbees. We brought them deflated and used the space for souvenirs on the way back. We brought small pumps in the suitcase and used them to inflate the balls prior to the visit so they could use them right away. The end result is visible on the kids' faces in the video!

• Options
    Andy, the pump and the Frisbees are excellent ideas. Also, I was just at my Doc's and he had a young med student with him. She spent a lot of time growing up in Uganda, her mom is an HIV doc and researcher. She said to bring a polaroid camera, that the kids love having the instant pictures (Fuji also has instant cameras now). I checked them out on Amazon and I think they're a little too pricey, so I'm gonna stick with some school supplies and I bought two soccer balls and I'll get a few Frisbees I think.
  • Options
    Armies and Ellen: yes, we are pn the Sept 7 tour arriving the evening of the 6th. I was an Asst Principal-Business Dept at an elem school in the Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake school district in Ballston Lake, NY (nearest big city is Schenectady). We are bringing pencils and crayons. If I can find some small frisbee a, I'll get a couple of those too. Looking forward to meeting both of you soon!

Angie
  • Options
    Yes the kids like to see their picture but showing them their picture on your digital camera works just as well. I am sure you will find this an rewarding experience.
    Gary
  • Options
    We were on this trip last July. School supplies are very much appreciated. I also bought arithmetic flash cards from the dollar store. They also liked stickers - I had a broad assortment. The glo-lights were also a hit - the girls made bracelets and necklaces out of them and also jump ropes. A dentist brought toothbrushes and a doctor brought Band-Aids. We stopped at a general store before our school visit and several people bought party noisemakers - they were a huge hit with the kids.
  • Options
    Hi All!

I was on the June 20th tour and we went to the school and the children were just adorable and so very appreciative of everything. Some of our companions, because of the airline that they flew were able to pack their Tauck duffel bags with goodies! Yes, they love to see their pictures on the digital screen and love to take pictures too! Anything you bring with you is greatly appreciated. It makes you realize how much we have here! Enjoy all your adventures, the tour is absolutely amazing and breathtaking!! There isn't a single thing that I can say was the best - it was just spectacular!!!!
This discussion has been closed.