Nairobi airport to hotel later in evening

So the international terminal in Nairobi burned down. We arrive early September, later in the evening, before connecting with the tour. Any advice about the best way to get to our hotel, a Serena, half way into Nairobi?

Comments

• As long as you advise Tauck of your arrival date and time they pick you up and take you to your hotel. This all part of the travel experience with them.
    Gary
  • We are taking this tour in October, and it begins in Arusha, Tanzania. If yours is the same and you have airline flights like ours (British Air, esp.), you have to fly into Nairobi and then on to Arusha on Precisionaire. Of course, the times are all sort of wacky, and our reservations are forcing us to spend a night in Nairobi on the way TO the tour since our flight from London gets in at 9:20 pm, and the flight for Arusha already departed at 6:00 pm. Our travel agent secured a room at Tribe Hotel and has arranged for a driver to pick us up at the airport at that late hour. As far as my experience with Tauck has been, they will pick you up at the origin point of the tour (it wasn't always this way, and the pickup and dropoff at whatever time you arrive or depart, within reason, is a fabulous perk), but does not arrange transportation for a layover, if, indeed, that is your predicament as well. Gary seems to note that it is different on this tour. If so, please post again, and we will take advantage of that as well. If this is the same as the other Tauck tours we have taken, my suggestion would be to arrange a pickup with the Serena Hotel, and, of course, mention that you are with a Tauck tour and will be passing through again in 13 days! Good luck, and be sure to post how this works out!!
  • Joycew, I am on this same tour for Feb 2014 and I am flying BA into Nairobi. I have been looking into flights, but there is no direct flight into Arusha. I would greatle appreciate if you can sgare with me your tavel arragments yo Arusha from Nairobi.
  • Hi Fernando,
    We arrive at 9:20 pm on BA and are departing at 6 pm (arriving at 7:10 pm)the following evening for Arusha on Precisionaire. We had to pay extra for that. It wasn't part of the BA charge. As I mentioned, it necessitates an overnight (also a late check-out) in Nairobi. My biggest worry has been the visa situation. We have single entry visas, but, really, we are entering Kenya twice (once you leave the airport, I understand, that is considered an entry). HOWEVER, there is a small caveat on the embassy website that mentions a "single entry visa allows re-entry from Tanzania." Very confusing. Spoke with Tauck rep who wasn't positive and referred me to the travel document expert who was also not positive. Of course, then there's the transit visa, but since I got the single entry first, I cannot get the transit after the fact. Hate to spend the extra $50 for the multiple entry if I won't need it. A Kenyan expert on the Trip Advisor forum tells me that what I have is fine, and I read the instructions correctly! So-o-o, we shall see what happens when we roll into Nairobi the first time. If it is wrong, I figure we will have plenty of time then to get it corrected. I hope I'm not still there when you arrive in February!!
  • Thank you Joycesw. I am arriving at 9:50p.m. in BA flight#65 and have been looking at a Precission Air flight that leaves at 9:00 a.m. and arrives in Arusha at 12:10 p.m. The problem is that is not a direct flight, it makes a lengthy lay over in Dar Salem before continuing to Arusha. We are looking at the Intercontinental and The Fairmont Norfolk for our layover in Nairobi. Also thinking of anticipating a day in order to be able to spend a full day and night in Nairobi and have the opportunity to check it out. As for VISAS, I understood that you coulkd purchase the VISA upon arrival at Kenya and Tanzania.
    If you would not mind, I would greately appreciate it if you could share with me your trip experience and provide tips. BTW, this is our 13th Tauck trip and the third one to Africa. We did Morroco and South Africa an Elegant adventure. my email is fbalzaretti@idc.com.gt
This discussion has been closed.