Options

How bumpy are the roads

Hi. I'm scheduled to go on this trip the end of september. I'm reading that the roads can be pretty bumpy and one review made it sound like it is pretty bad. I have severe arthritis on my lower spine which is painful as it is along with osteoporosis and other spine issues. I'm beginning to think even if I bring a seat cushion I may find myself spending days in bed because of my back.

Is is really rough? I hate to cancel but having said that, if I find myself in severe pain every day, I'll end up spending my time in the room and I don't want to to that. Advice/comments is appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Kathy: I am so sorry for the obvious pain you are suffering. I don't think any traveler who is not a trained medical doctor should advise you on whether or not to take this (or any) safari in Africa. The safari vehicles Tauck uses are as good as you will find anywhere. The problem is not the vehicles but the roads. Except in a few urban areas, there are no paved roads at all. By definition, these "roads" (and I use the term loosely) are rough, pot-holed, rock strewn and dusty. There is also a good deal of climbing into and out of the vehicle that could present a problem for you.

Why not check with your doctor? He / she will know whether you can tolerate the rough ride without putting yourself in a precarious health situation. You also need to remember that medical treatment is not readily available in the Serengeti or Maasai Mara.

What I can tell you is that I was 69 when I took this safari. I have the usual age related aches and pains but nothing to compare with the difficulties you are forced to endure. At the end of a usual safari day, I was tired and sore. Until you do it, you don't realize how difficult it is to hold yourself in place as the vehicle bumps across the savannah. Most of us unintentionally and involuntarily tensed ourselves in preparation for the next bump. That tensing may exacerbate your condition.

As much as I love Africa, I sincerely believe you should make your travel decision in concert with your doctor. Whether you go on safari or not, I wish you well...Leo M
  • Options
    Leo, thank you very much for responding. I did ask my doctors who did not want to stop me from going on the trip. However I was thinking this was going to be like the safari's I went on in South Africa which were not bad at all. Part of me wants to risk it but the other is telling me to be mindful of my condition. I would be more disappointed if I went and on the first ride found my back was hurting would have trouble continuing or not going on some excursions than to cancel right now. Again, appreciate the insight.
  • Options
    I am not sure how accurately anyone can answer your question since the condition of the roads greatly depend upon the time of year you are there. I was there in october and do not remember any great discomfort. However you are rarely on paved roads and this will be a tough decision. How about a back brace? Do you ever wear one?
    The trip is fabulous and you will never forget the sites you see, but your back may be an issue.
  • Options
    Kathy - I can really relate to how you are feeling. I took this trip last August and I went in a very compromised state. I had badly hurt my back several months before the trip and as the trip neared, my back was still pretty bad and I considered not going. Once I made up my mind to go, I just concentrated on making the best of it so I could enjoy the trip. I will say that it wasn't always easy but the trip was so exciting that I almost forgot about the pain, even with the bumpy roads. I brought an inflatable cushion, which has very helpful, used a cane, and stayed back a couple of times to rest up and relax. I totally loved this trip, but Tauck is the reason I was able to enjoy it despite my painful back. Our tour director, Greg, went so out of his way to insure my confort and make things easier for me. At one point, he even got me some wheelchair assistance and my fellow travelers were beyond wonderful and understanding. For me, I do not regret going - in fact, the trip, for me, was life changing. I can't wait to go back to Africa and I will be doing just that on Sept 20, this time to South Africa. I'm going with Tauck again, because after my experience with them on my last trip, I wouldn't even consider using anyone else. They really did make the difference, and, by the way, I don't work for Tauck.
    Kathy, if you have any other questions or if I can help you in any way, feel free to e-mail me personally at cldenovio@frontiernet.net. Good luck in whatever you decide.
    Carolyn
  • Options
    Caroline, you are the perfect person to answer this question. As I recall you sat up front with the driver which was probably better than sitting in the seats at the back. Hope South Africa is as good. Say hi to your daughters.
    Gary
  • Options
    I just returned from the Tanzania trip. It was truly amazing. I had two back surgeries this year and a knee surgery... The roads were crazy bumpy but if you were paying attention, the bumps were predictable not surprising so I could prepare myself for anything. Our Tauck drivers, Pascal, Bosco & Comfort were very cautious and really went slow on the big potholes. My parents were with us (70's) and my sister in law who is 12 weeks pregnant....we are so happy we went. There were days when we could have hung back from a game drive but we didn't miss one! It was the trip of a lifetime and our Tauck guide Seth was so accommodating and helpful, everyone had a wonderful, safe safari. I brought meds with me just in case but aside from otc medication, i didn't need anything else. My sister in law sat in the front seat with the driver which made a big difference for her & I stood up on the seat as much as possible which worked great for me. It has to be your sole decision to go but understand that even if you sit a game drive or two out...the places you stay, the things you experience...any day, anywhere on safari in Africa, is a good day! My mother used to tell me, "You can be sick at home and experience nothing or you can be sick on vacation and experience everything you are capable of." Everyone's situation is different but I'm so very happy to have chosen to go...I didn't want to leave. LoriAnn
  • Options
    Just returned (left August 12) and the roads are rough. Let me put this in perspective; the safari vehicles have heavy duty suspensions and yet the drivers said they must replace the shock absorbers every 3000 km (about 1800 miles) so compare that to the 50,000 to 60,000 miles, or more, for your average car. Several travelers in our group complained about hip and back pains, so be prepared. The game viewing is beyond belief and you will enjoy it. See your doctor and get some prescription pain killer (e.g., codine-acetometaphin blend) and take ibuprofen along.
This discussion has been closed.