Options

Yellow Fever Shot

Have most of you had the Yellow Fever shot? A pharmacist said their pharmacy couldn't get the serum. She also said it was a difficult shot to take and she herself wouldn't take it. I have heard that it is difficult for older people. Any comments.

Terri

Comments

• Options
    I had the shot at a travel medicine clinic. I am in my late 60's and had no adverse reactions at all. I did hear that you can get the shot at Walgreen's for much less than I paid. My primary care physician did not have the serum. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    The concern about this vaccine is it is egg media based, so if you have egg allergies, get a letter exempting you. The other thing is you must generally have this vaccination administered at an approved location - it is documented in your World Health Org. International Certificate Vaccination yellow form with an approved provider stamp. Without that or the vaccination, you could be subjected to a "local" vaccination - which may not have been properly stored and may or may not be administered with sterile syringe and needle - and that's a cause for worry. Once you get it, the vaccination is good for ten years. (I'm late 60s and got mine last week for an Amazon trip - no problems at all.)
  • Options
    Thanks for your input. Walgreen's is where I spoke to the pharmacist and where she said they couldn't get the serum. I don't use travel medicine clinics as I know they charge high prices. Will need to see what the doctor says as she is affiliated with a teaching hospital and I think they have a travel clinic where SHE would be able to get the necessary info and probably obtain the serum.

Also, the Tanzania Embassy info site says the yellow fever shot is not necessary.
  • Options
    Theresa...I am 71 and took the yellow fever shot with no adverse effects. Our doctor recommended we get this injection whether it was required or not. We did. We got this and other vaccines from our county health department. I don't remember the exact cost but it wasn't that bad. Good luck...Leo M
  • Options
    Leo M wrote:
    Theresa...I am 71 and took the yellow fever shot with no adverse effects. Our doctor recommended we get this injection whether it was required or not. We did. We got this and other vaccines from our county health department. I don't remember the exact cost but it wasn't that bad. Good luck...Leo M

I am in my early 60's and I got the shot from my local health department too. I think it was about $85 and I got it a year ago. You need to get it a few weeks before your trip for it to be effective. You don't need it for the Tanzania/Kenya trip but given that I'd like to do more travel in Africa including the South Africa/Botswana one, I thought it'd be a good idea to get it while I was "younger" rather than older. I had no problems with the shot at all.
This discussion has been closed.