Options

Camera

I was on this tour last September and used a Nikon D7000 with a 18-300 zoom lens. I was able to purchase a small bean bag with a screw that is the same size that is on a tripod. I used it to rest the camera on the edge of the top of the land rover. Worked pretty well. I took a great photo of Mt Kilamanjaro late in the evening with the drivers help
Also the drivers are very knowledgeable and will move the vehicle if you need a better view for a better shot.
Also you will need $600-$1000 in low denomination bills, no marks,tears,etc and the year 2005 or later.
The best deal on wood carvings was at the Mt Kenya Safari Lodge. An individual sold them outside the lodge.
Have a great trip. All of the accommodations are first class

Comments

• Options
    What are the largest bills you'd recomment carrying.

Terri
  • Options
    Theresa,
    I just got back from this trip on July 26th. Nobody that I paid cash to (mostly the Maasi) even looked at the bills to see year, marks, etc., etc. They are just interested in the cash. I probably would not take anything larger than 20"s, except for the gratuity for your Tour Guide. Have fun. This is an awesome trip!
  • Options
    Another great extra is a large Ziploc bag - the dust you can encounter can be bad for the camera. For a super cheap beanbag, take an old trouser leg, sew it closed at one end, put Velcro or a zipper at the other, put a Ziploc bag in it - fill it with rice, millet or another grain when you arrive at your destination. Great support, especially out of a vehicle hatch, and when you're done, feed the birds or give it to someone - no weight, no room in your luggage. I;ve got a couple I've used in Kenya, Tanzania, Malawi, etc. And - take twice as many cards for images as you think you may need, and at least one (if not two) extra battery.
This discussion has been closed.