South Africa: An Elegant Adventure

Our tour begins Friday Aug. 16, 2013 in Capetown.
Anyone else going???

Comments

• We are on the trip with you...from TX. Our 6th TAUCK trip...they have all been outstanding. We are still debating as to the need for Yellow Fever shot. Keep getting mixed opinions so may go ahead and get the vaccination again since it's been 15 years since we were last in Africa. We are arriving on the 14th...anyone else coming early?
  • My husband and I and our two good friends - all from Virgina - will be on the August 16th tour (coming soon!) We are very excited and hope we will be able to pack all the medicines & toiletries they recommend you take into our small carry-on bags. Would still love to know if it will be safe to eat salads & fruit and have drinks with ice cubes at the hotels we're staying at (are you out there Emily??). Especially want to know whether it will be safe to drink coffee, as I assume they don't boil their water for it. Has anyone done the above without any ill effects? Look forward to meeting you Woogie & Nancy.
  • Hi everyone,

It's coming fast!!!
    There are 6 of us going. Dot and Joe from New Jersey, Sheila and Larry from Ohio and us...Carol and Rich from Florida.
    We arrive on Wednesday.

I looked up yellow fever on the CDC website and it said it was not necessary if coming from the US, so we opted not to get it.

I would like to know about the food issues in the hotels also. If anyone finds out, please post.

See you all soon!!!

Carol
    aka: woogie
  • My husband and I and our two good friends - all from Virgina - will be on the August 16th tour (coming soon!) We are very excited and hope we will be able to pack all the medicines & toiletries they recommend you take into our small carry-on bags. Would still love to know if it will be safe to eat salads & fruit and have drinks with ice cubes at the hotels we're staying at (are you out there Emily??). Especially want to know whether it will be safe to drink coffee, as I assume they don't boil their water for it. Has anyone done the above without any ill effects? Look forward to meeting you Woogie & Nancy.
  • Hi Travelgirl,

Any chance the Virginia folks are on the SAA flight from Dullas on the 13th???

We are.
  • I did this trip last October - only one hotel appears different now (Lion Sands). I ate anything I wanted from the buffets (salads, vegetables, etc.) and had ice and had NO problems. Proper water filtration is something Tauck is very picky about.
  • edited August 2013
    Hi Woogie,

We're all flying out of Dulles, but at different times (our friends are using miles) and different airlines. We're doing KLM on Tuesday into Amsterdam and they're doing United into London. We'll arrive on Wed. night - late. Really getting excited now, even have the bag packed (and couldn't fit 50 lbs. into the suitcase if I tried)!

And thanks, smarks 50 for the low down on the water at the hotels. I think I did read on one other post that they had had no problems with the food or the water. Would have hated to go without my coffee in the morning!

And we didn't get the yellow fever shots either. Our travel Dr. said we only needed them if we go into Zambia - and we don't plan on crossing the bridge - or if you fly into Dakar (even if you don't get off the plane!).

Think it's going to be a great group for the 8/16 tour. Feel like I know some of you already! See you soon!
This discussion has been closed.