Options

Optional Nazca Lines excursion vs Lima culture day

Anyone had experience going on the optional Nazca Lines excursion? Was it worth the drive? What was the flight experience like? Would you do it again or opt to see Lima? Tauck usually packs tours with the "must see" spots, so this concerns me that it is optional as well as such a long drive of 4 plus hours each way.

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

I did the Peru trip with Tauck this past May. My husband and I first signed up for this optional tour but. After I did some research I realized that people with motion sickness (like me!) will not be very happy so we ended up doing the Lima culture day. We had a great time and amazing ceviche for lunch!!! We talked to some of the folks that went to the Nazca tour and the main comment I heard was "it was a LONG day and spent most of the day in the bus because the tour itself is 30-45minutes the most?" you have to get up really early in the morning and you are not back until late at night. And we were flying out to Cusco the next morning (early). So at least for us, it was not worth it. But more than half of our group did it...
  • Options
    We did this optional tour in May. I would not do it again. The thing is that the airplane has 3 seats across. If you are stuffed in the middle good luck trying to get photos. It is a very long day. This was the only thing the two of us regretted doing on the tour. A wasted day and a waste of money. At least two folks with us became ill one very ill to the point of total perspiration. I would say better to stay in Lima than endure the long, long boring bus ride for a 15 minute ride over the lines. I forgot to mention that once we were crammed into the airplane it was another 20-25 minute ride to get over the lines.
  • Options
    Another thing you might want to consider in deciding whether or not to do the Nazca Lines option is the safety risk. Last year, there were several plane crashes resulting in fatalities. While I'm sure Tauck selects the company with the best safety record and would never knowingly put it's guests at risk, it's something to think about. We did and decided to opt out.
  • Options
    We were on the July 8 tour. We originally booked and paid for the Nazca Line excursion but backed out and instead took the Lima tour. The Lima tour wasn't much but the included seaside a la carte lunch was fabulous.
    However, we didn't find any one from the people who went regretted going. Take note that the price of the excursion is going up from $295 to $345 for 2012.
  • Options
    Can a person get their money back if they decide not to go on the Nazca Lines flight?
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Hi Linda,

The Nazca Lines flight is currently an option and is not included in the price of your tour. If you did choose this option, you will not be able to get your money back if you decide not to go.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
This discussion has been closed.