Small group - is it worth it ?

Is the small group departure worth the extra money ? Would love to hear the thoughts of those who have taken one. Thanks so much !!

Comments

• edited July 2013
    Goodness! I can't believe I managed to get the Reply icon to appear! Woohoo!

Hi kcfromkc,

Love the label! Do you have a Sunshine Band, too? Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Small groups. Right. Well, I think so, not that I have been able to jell my dates with very many small group departures, unfortunately. Anything that reduces the number of people on a bus, reduces the queue at the Ladies' loo, in my opinion. Plus, as a solo traveller who pays the cost of a single traveller, I have more chance of getting the seat mate of my choice ... who remains quite invisible ... on the bus. And that sure beats having a total stranger, who no doubt like me has chosen to travel alone, foisted upon me. Tranquillity on the bus equates to scintillating conversation off the bus. It's also less work for the Tour Director .... because they work very hard. Fewer people means all that loving care can be spread more thickly! Another added benefit, to the local community as much as to the participants, is that a smaller number blends into the environment much easier as group of travellers, than does a full bus of, say 40+. That soon becomes a herd of invading tourists, which is not so very nice for any locals caught in the crossfire. Personally, I much prefer travellers to tourists any day!

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited July 2013
    We have taken several Tauck tours, none of which were small group tours. All were tremendously enjoyable, travel companions congenial and respectful, and without any major issues being a part of a larger group. We never felt part of a "herd." However, a smaller group will lend itself to the benefits Jan cited. If you can afford the additional costs added onto the initial tour costs, go for it if you feel smaller equates to better for you.
  • nyfeds wrote:
    We never felt part of a "herd." However, a smaller group will lend itself to the benefits Jan cited. If you can afford the additional costs added onto the initial tour costs, go for it if you feel smaller equates to better for you.

I probably didn't make myself clear, nyfeds. Sorry. Having been part of many Tauck groups, I can happily confirm that I haven't been subjected to a "herd" mentality. I was referring to the perception of others ... those others who inhabit the real worlds that we pass through. Hopefully we always do this as a group of respectful travellers, not as a ... herd of tourists.

Cheers,

Jan
  • edited July 2013
    Hi Jan,
    Thanks for the clarification. Yes, the perception of locals can often times be one of "here come the herds!" Speaking, of course of other tour company groups, mind you, certainly not our Tauck groups! :) Or, perhaps we're perceived as a "refined herd!"

I enjoy your sense of humor in many of your posts, Jan!

Denise
  • edited July 2013
    Oh yes, Denise. I sooo agree. We Tauck travellers are so terribly refeeeened. [Pronounced in my best, stage BBC accent!!] "Oh Harry? Where's the butler? Do hurry. I'm just gaaasping for a G & T!" (Think a cross between a fog h.o.r.n. and a megaphone.)

I guess we've all seen groups of insensitive tourists who are just plain so embarrassing that, like the line from Arlo Guthrie's "Alice's Restaurant" ... we all moved away ... I like to think we have all moved on to a nicer, kinder, more polite level of travel since then. ;) Well, jet lag aside, of course .... :))

Cheers,

Jan

PS I really must find a copy of "It's Tuesday so This Must be Belgium." What an hysterical movie!
    PPS You gotta laugh at the things the system censors ... and the stuff it doesn't! Snort!
  • edited July 2013
    So agree, Jan! Many travelers have moved away from the boorish tourist; however, we were on an AMA river cruise (never again!) which "caters to Americans" a few years ago, and there were several groups on that cruise. One of the groups went way over the line on a daily basis. Talk about some embarrassingly ugly American tourists! Prior to that cruise we river cruised with German-based Peter Dielmann, which, sadly, no longer is in the river cruising business. The cruise was stellar as were the predominantly European passengers. If you're a part of a group, you have to hope that group conducts themselves accordingly and fortunately, we've never had incidents while touring with Tauck! Hope our luck continues in Sept. when we're taking our next tour!

Denise
  • Thanks Ladies !!!! I remember that movie as well :)
This discussion has been closed.