Options

Carry On Luggage Restrictions on Inter-China Flights

Can someone with recent China travel experience please advise how strictly the bag size and 11pound carry-on limit is enforced. I was looking at carry-ones today and a light bag weighs 6 - 7 lbs. Does anyone know of a very light carry-on. Thanks for any assistance. Greg J-o-n-e-s

Comments

• Options
    This was not a problem. Did'nt appear to be paying attention to weight and some people had small roll a boards. Be sure to carry a folding umbrella and good rain gear. Take sunscreen and light weight clothing as it was hot and muggy some places after being cool in Beijing. So plan to layer.
  • Options
    Hello Greg1022,

Although the the maximum weight is 10 pounds, I would just pay more attention to the maximum dimensions that is 22" x15" x8" (including all wheels, handles, etc.) If these dimensions are exceeded, the carry-on may be checked at the gate.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    We were on this trip earlier this year. All the in-China flights were commercial, and they were all full. I would characterize the conditions as cramped. Thus, I would not advise bringing one of the pushing-the-limit carry-ons that you might get away with on a domestic flight here. If you decide to bring of those for your international travel, then ask the director if you can check it for the in-China flights.
  • Options
    We will be traveling to China in 2014 and would appreciation some clarification on carryon luggage.
    1. Are we allowed to check more than one suitcase per passenger on the in-country China flights? In other words, if our wheeled carryon bag does not meet size/weight limitations, can it be then checked as our second piece of luggage? Would we incur an extra charge?
    2. Are there any other in-country flight restrictions we need to know?
    3. My husband is 6'2" tall. Are the in-country aircraft configured to accommodate tall people?
    Looking forward to this exciting trip but want to be prepared.
  • Options
    Hello Julee,

Hope my response will help you prepare for you trip.

1. Yes, you may check in more than one suitcase per passenger on the in-country China flights. However, if you exceed the limitations you will be charged anywhere from $1.00USD to $5.00USD per pound, per flight sector.

2. China has implemented new measures for screening liquids, gels and aerosol in order t comply with the new guidelines of the International Civil Aviation Organisation.

The new security measures for cabin baggage include:
    a. All liquids, gels, aerosols in cabin baggage have to be carried in containers with a capacity not greater than 100 ml. Liquids, gels, aerosols carried in containers larger
    than 100 ml will not be accepted, even if the container is only part-filled.
    b. Containers have to be placed in a transparent re-sealable plastic bag of a maximum capacity not exceeding one litre. The containers must fit comfortably within the
    transparent plastic bag, which should be completely closed.
    c. The plastic bag has to be presented separately from other cabin baggage for visual examination at the screening point. Only one transparent plastic bag per passenger is permitted.
    d. Exemptions will be made for medications, baby milk / food and special dietary requirements subject to verification.

3. Let me check with the Tour Manager to see how the planes accommodate tall people and I will get back to you.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    Hello Emily

I am having some anxiety over the whole carry on luggage issue so I hope you can address a couple of questions.

The first is on the issue of 22" x 15" x 8". I have seen in the US and elsewhere that suitcases can be in compliance if they did not exceed a total of the 3 dimensions listed in a restriction, so in this case it could not exceed a total of 45 inches overall. Does that apply in our case or is the bag out of compliance, and subject to being checked, if any one number is exceeded? For example, if it is 23 inches long, even if it is 14 inches wide and 8 inches deep, is it out of compliance? If we take a soft bag like duffle or large gym-type bag how do they measure that?

The second relates to your last post where you indicate that we can check in more that 1 bag per passenger. Am I correct in understanding that the second checked bag will be subject to the $1 to $5 per pound charge? And if we were willing to just go ahead and pay those charges would we in any way adversely impact the tour or tour guide.

Thanks

Greg1022
  • Options
    We are going to China in October. We are planning to have two suitcases to check in and one carry-on each, which will meet the dimension criteria. Will this be acceptable on in-country filghts?
  • Options
    Hi Saracat,

Do you mean you have one piece of luggage per person to check-in?

Due to strictly enforced weight restrictions in China, luggage weight per person must not exceed 44 pounds and travelers are permitted only one piece of checked luggage. Luggage exceeding the allowable weight is subject to excess baggage charges which can result in a considerable additional expense.

A carry-on per person is fine.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    I started this topic and have now recently returned from this trip. Here is what my experience with luggage was on this trip. Your Magical Tauck Tour Director will cause your checked bags to be picked up from your hotel room and you will not see them again until you arrive in your room at the next hotel. As far as carry on bags, the situation with them at the airports is the same as in the US. They X-rayed them and once even looked in them. They did not weigh or measure them. I was one of the very few, apparently, who worried about the weight or size of the carryon bags and everybody and their bags went to the next airport together.

I found security at the airports in China to be a breeze compared to the US. The planes and airports are every bit as good as in the US (excepting some women's restroom issues). You may well even enjoy the hot meal that will be served on 4 of the 5 one and one half hour flights. As far as seat assignments, our Magical Tauck Tour Director asked our preference for aisle or window seats and voila! That's the seat that was assigned by the airline for each flight.

And that's how it happened on this outstanding tour. Everything first class, everything taken care of, and as little hassle as possible for us.
  • Options
    Thank you Greg and "Tauck Emily". The luggage information is extremely reassuring and helpful. We will plan accordingly.
  • Options
    I agree with Greg who said Not a Problem. We returned from China in November. I also was worried about the luggage thing. It is true, the Magical Tauck Director took care of it all. I even checked my carry on luggage on the internal flights. So we had three bags checked each internal flight. They weighed them as a group. The flights in China were cramped and the food was awful. Hot meal each flight no matter how short. But we werent sure what most things were. Bring a snack. They are all pretty short, maybe 3 hours the longest one. We never had any problems. Tauck did it all for you!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file