Options

Questions for Photo-Enthusiasts

My husband, son, and I will be taking the tour this August.

I have a million questions about lots of stuff, but right now I'm trying to plan my packing -- particularly with respect to accommodating camera gear.

I understand Tauck provides a duffel bag for the safari days. How big is the bag? How much will it accommodate? If I understand the guidelines correctly, you may also take a backpack for these days. Is that right?

For the photo enthusiasts out there, I'd love to get an understanding of the best mix of gear to bring. Here's what I'm currently thinking & questions I have:

- Two DSLR bodies (Canon 5D Mark III plus another -- see questions below)
- All-purpose kit lens (24-105mm F/4)
- 200-400mm F/4 telephoto zoom lens (with integrated 1.4X extender)
- Maybe a wide angle lens. Do I need wider than 24mm?
- Additional point & shoot -- probably 50X Canon
- Support:
--- Refillable bean bags
--- Monopod
--- Skimmer ground pod for support on the bean bag
--- Tripod???

Questions:
- I'm debating whether the second body should be full-frame or APS-C. The additional crop factor would provide significant effective focal length when paired with the 200-400. Anyone have any opinions / experience / recommendations?

- I'm thinking I don't want to change lenses while out on a dusty safari. Hence my plan to bring two bodies. Anyone have any thoughts on that strategy?

- Is there any need for a flash?

- Any recommendations on the lens mix? Should I try to cram in a 70-200mm F/2.8? I'm concerned about adding another 4 pounds.

- What were your experiences / recommendations regarding bean bags & monopods? Do you have any recommendations about other support gear? What works best with the safari vehicles? If you used bean bags did you have any difficulty finding fill material?

- Is there value in bringing a tripod? Full-size tripod or small one for the roof of the land rover?

- Can anyone share your experience with transporting your gear? Did you manage to fit all your equipment in your carry-on luggage? Did you stuff lenses into vest pockets? Did you run into any problems going through security or meeting weight & space requirements?

- I'll wind up with about 20 pounds of camera gear. I'm willing to sacrifice clothing real estate for photography space, but want to make sure I really can get laundry turned around every night. Anyone have any success (or horror stories) to report?

- I'd like to take most of our belongings (except liquids and some non-essentials) as carry-ons for our international flights, so would like to take wheeled rollaboards for our flights to AMS and JRO, and then use the rollaboards as "base camp" luggage from which to supply the safari duffel bags. Anyone have any problems with rollaboards as your "big" luggage?

- How's the security in the hotels and lodges? If I bring a laptop, can I leave it in my room while we're out on game drives? Is there a safe in the hotel rooms?

OK ... I'll stop now. Would really appreciate any comments and insights.

Thanks!

Karen

Comments

• Options
    Hi Karen,

I have encountered some very detailed descriptions on the Internet by professional photographers re how they managed on safari that may be of help to you. They used beanbags and monopods (the latter lashed to a vertical support in the vehicle). One huge difference between their safari and yours is that they had a private vehicle (just one photographer plus a driver). You will have another Tauck guest, who also wants to get the shot, sitting next to you - and one sitting in front of or behind you.

I believe the professionals filled their beanbags with dirt - which is available.

Much of the time on drives will be on savannah, with wildlife from horizon to horizon, not in dense jungle. If that's the shot you want, take a wide-angle lens.

I hope this helps a bit.

Nick
  • Options
    Nick,

Thanks for the fast response.

I've been reading a lot of those posts as well. The prevailing sentiment does seem to be "self drive for best results". But there are reasons for taking a guided Tauck tour beyond the photography, so that forms the basic guardrails for the trip.

So ... dirt. I guess that probably is pretty plentiful. :) Thanks for that tip.

Did you go on the Tauck tour? What was your personal experience?

Thanks again,

Karen
  • Options
    Here's what I took on the Elegant Adventure. Since it was city and safari, I needed a mix of gear that was suitable for both venues. I had more gear (BY FAR) than anyone else on the tour. I was able to fit all this in a ThinkTank Airport International roller bag. It weighed about 40 pounds.
    1D Mark III
    5D Mark III
    100-400mm f4.5-5.6
    70-200mm f2.8
    24-70mm f2.8
    16-35mm f2.8
    100mm f2.8 Macro
    Gitzo Traveler tripod and Acratech ballhead
    Mini Manfrotto tripod
    15" Mac Book Pro Retina and power supply (laptop kept in the bag using the low divider set [sold separately])
    Handheld Garmin GPS for capturing tracklogs (I geolocate all my photos in Lightroom)
    Multiple chargers, spare batteries, external disk drive, ND and polarizer filters, shutter release cable, lots of memory cards, straps, etc.

As for your questions...

- I'm debating whether the second body should be full-frame or APS-C. The additional crop factor would provide significant effective focal length when paired with the 200-400. Anyone have any opinions / experience / recommendations?
    An APS-C sensor body would be great for the added reach. But, your going to trade off low light noise for reach... You will love the low light performance of the 5DIII, especially with a fast lens mounted. The 5DIII with my 70-200 f/2.8 rocked in the dark. With that combo, it was not uncommon to shoot at ISO 6400 or 12,800. I kept the 100-400 on the 1DIII while on safari. The 5DIII was a mix of 70-200 f2.8 and the wide angles (mostly for the sunsets and the lanscape shots).

- I'm thinking I don't want to change lenses while out on a dusty safari. Hence my plan to bring two bodies. Anyone have any thoughts on that strategy?
    I never go on a trip without taking 2 bodies. This was no exception. I RARELY changed lenses. When I did I waited until we were stopped and the air was calm.

- Is there any need for a flash?
    I would not take a flash because I think it bothers the animals. You WILL find yourself shooting in VERY low light -- so low my 70-200 f2,8 on the 5DIII would not autofocus...

- Any recommendations on the lens mix? Should I try to cram in a 70-200mm F/2.8? I'm concerned about adding another 4 pounds.
    See above. I used every one of these lenses. I'm glad I took them all. Your 200-400 f4 will be excellent, especially with the 1.4x. But, you will be wishing for f/2.8. I didn't take my 400 f2.8 and I'm glad I didn't. It would've much to big and unwieldy in the vehicles.

- What were your experiences / recommendations regarding bean bags & monopods? Do you have any recommendations about other support gear? What works best with the safari vehicles? If you used bean bags did you have any difficulty finding fill material?
    I would bring a beanbag. In our vehicle, there was a support on which to place the beanbag. In fact, one of the vehicles had a built-in beanbag. Being the only serious photog on the vehicle, I used it extensively.

- Is there value in bringing a tripod? Full-size tripod or small one for the roof of the land rover?
    I used my tripod in the city for early morning shots and some bracketed exposures. On safari, it would come in handy for the sunsets. I used my small one sparingly, and could've gotten by without it. OTOH, it doesn't take up much space.

- Can anyone share your experience with transporting your gear? Did you manage to fit all your equipment in your carry-on luggage? Did you stuff lenses into vest pockets? Did you run into any problems going through security or meeting weight & space requirements?
    Like I said above, I had 40 pounds of gear in my ThinkTank roller on. I was very worried about it being weighed, but that didn't happen once. There are some flights that may have limited carry-on space, and they will want you to check your carry on. Resist the temptation to give them your bag. If it conforms to international carry on restrictions, it will fit (barely) in the overhead. Try to be one of the first ones on the plane to make sure you get a space in the overhead. If you are very nice to the airline personnel, they will help you out.

- I'll wind up with about 20 pounds of camera gear. I'm willing to sacrifice clothing real estate for photography space, but want to make sure I really can get laundry turned around every night. Anyone have any success (or horror stories) to report?
    Good luck with that. :-) I had double that amount of gear.

- I'd like to take most of our belongings (except liquids and some non-essentials) as carry-ons for our international flights, so would like to take wheeled rollaboards for our flights to AMS and JRO, and then use the rollaboards as "base camp" luggage from which to supply the safari duffel bags. Anyone have any problems with rollaboards as your "big" luggage?
    I don't have any advice on this topic.

- How's the security in the hotels and lodges? If I bring a laptop, can I leave it in my room while we're out on game drives? Is there a safe in the hotel rooms?
    Most of my gear fit in the safes. Can't say that will be the case on your tour.

Hope this helps.
    Mark
    http://hilbush.smugmug.com/Vacation/South-Africa
  • Options
    Hello Boston Traveler...I will not try to answer your technical questions. I don't have the requisite expertise. However, I do have several comments that may be helpful.

First, there is not a lot of room in the safari vehicle for people much less equipment. In the passenger compartment, there is a narrow aisle (not much more than 12 to 14 inches wide) with a single seat on either side. When taking one's pictures, you either shoot through the partially open window, or, take turns with fellow passengers in jockeying for space standing up and shooting through the open roof. I had my camera in my hands and binoculars around my neck. There wasn't a whole lot of room for anything else.

Secondly, it is really dusty. That is especially true when following other vehicles on the dirt roads. I kept my camera in a shoe bag with a draw string until I was ready to shoot. There was no time to switch lenses. Even if there had been time, I would not have tried given the conditions.

I'm sure our pictures were far from professional but we had a great time anyway. We enjoyed our Tauck safari so much we returned to Africa twice more last year. And, we leave again Monday. I hope you enjoy Africa as much as we do...

Leo M.
  • Options
    Boston traveler,
    I just returned from the 6/15/13 trip and had a lot of similar questions. Let me tell you what I took.
    Canon 6D body
    Canon Rebel T2i
    Canon Vixia G20 video camera
    100-400 zoom
    24-105 zoom
    1.4x etender
    basic flash
    iPad
    basic Tripod
    Beanbag prefilled with plastic beads
    batteries, chargers, lens cleaning stuff and extra cards
    My wife took a decent point and shoot (coolpix p510)

I did not bring a wideangle lens and can think of very few scenarios when it would have been beneficial, but if you have one, I would bring it.
    I used ALL this stuff at least once and was glad I brought it all. You are traveling thousands of miles and it would be a shame to miss a good shot for lack of a flash or a tripod or an extender.

I took a tamrack backpack that allowed storage of all this stuff (except the tripod) with easy access to the SLR's and video camera. This probably weighed upwards of 25 pounds. I did not bring a laptop and kept the iPad in the back pack at all times. This backpack has a special slot for a laptop, but I used it for my iPad. The 6D has a wifi feature that lets you view your day's take on the iPad. Needless to say this was one of the most exciting parts of my day. I carried the back pack with me at all times both for security and because I wanted be ready to shoot at any time. I can't tell you how many moments I would have missed were this not the case. I had no problems carrying it with me any where. No security issues or carryon difficulties.

I was able to fit the tripod in the duffel bag along with all the clothes I needed and had room left over for some of my wife's stuff and souvenirs. Tauck will mail you the bag a couple of weeks ahead of time so you can get an accurate idea of how much it holds. You are allowed another bag (in my case the camera back pack) in addition to the duffel.

Let me tell you how I used my stuff and I hope you find it of value.
    On game drives, although I brought the whole backpack, I mostly used the 6D with the 100-400 lens and the beanbag. Most vehicles have large pouch on the seat in front of you and I used this to store my video camera and hat and sunglasses just don't forget to take them out at the end. Having the tripod in the vehicle will most likely not be necessary and would be likely to obstruct the other passengers. The vehicles have a rim on the roof on which to rest the beanbag and this worked well. Ask the driver to turn off the vehicle to stop any vibration during a good photo op. Don't hesitate to ask him to move a little one way or another to get a better shot.

I only used the tripod for landscapes (wake up early in Ngorongoro and get set up on your balcony). I used the Rebel with the 24-105 for people shots in the schools and markets and such with a wrist strap. The wrist strap is helpful for not appearing as obtrusive with the camera in social situations. The full-frame /APS-C issue was settled for financial reasons... I took what I have. I used the flash a few times for backlit birds in trees and got some great shots!!

You are right on with changing lenses in the dust... try to minimize it but if you need to use your extender it can't be helped. A couple of us cleaned out our lenses and bodies in the middle of the trip.

Laundry tip: do it at Amboseli to avoid 4 seasons prices!

If you have chance, try to go to your nearest zoo and practice on the animals there, I found this very helpful.

You are going to have such a great time, I am jealous and already miss it. I am making my iMovie and will post it to the bulletin board when done. I hope you get to fully indulge your passion, but don't forget to put the camera down once in a while and enjoy the moment!

Andy
  • Options
    My photo hilight album is now online:

Here's a link to108 out of 4000!! Finishing up the video. Have a look. Let me know what you think!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7iw96wxc7b93kze/dOTGEusBe2
    Andy
  • Options
    Hi Andy,

You've got some great shots there! You've brought back some very fond memories of my trip to east and southern Africa ... many moons ago.

What are the two cute little critters at you feet in an early shot?

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Baby hyrax at the serengeti visitors center. They were apparently orphaned and were following my son around like little puppies.
    Andy
  • Options
    Andy, Mark, et al,

Thanks for all the great info! And great photos!

From all I've been reading, I think the Kenya & Tanzania trip will be much stricter with respect to luggage than the elegant safari, so I'll probably bring my ThinkTank to travel internationally, and roll my gear aboard the Amsterdam roundtrip flights. Then I'll transfer the gear to a backpack to take aboard the intra-Africa puddle jumpers, and in the safari vehicles. I may have to enlist the help (and carry-on real estate) of my husband or son.

Andy, I notice you brought your kids. Does anyone else have experience bringing a teenager on the classic safari?

It's funny you mention going to the zoo. I've been practicing low-light / fast action photography by shooting my son's baseball games all summer. Two weeks ago his team was in Columbia, South Carolina, and I spent a free afternoon at the zoo there practicing animal shots. It was very helpful to get an idea of how the animals move, and the speed at which they move.

We got our pre-trip duffels today, so I'll start laying out the gear to see what goes where.

Thanks everyone!

Karen
  • Options
    Hi all,
    Such great information!! I am leaving next week for the Classic Safari and could not be more excited! I am a photographer and will be taking gear with me but have a couple of questions. Does anyone know on the intra-tour flights if you are aloud to carry on a camera bag in addition to the duffle? Also, I was thinking of taking a monopod instead of a tripod - any pros/cons to this?

Also - here is a list of the hear I will be taking:

Canon 7D
    Canon 20D
    50-500mm/4.5 -5.6 lens
    15-55/2.8 lens
    580 EXII flash
    Monopod
    Batteries, chargers, etc.
    bean bag

I am debating about also bringing my 70-200/2.8. Is that overkill? I'm not sure how often we will be in low light and if I will need the long lens with 2.8. Any advice? Thanks so much!!

Amy
  • Options
    AmyB wrote:
    I am debating about also bringing my 70-200/2.8. Is that overkill? I'm not sure how often we will be in low light and if I will need the long lens with 2.8. Any advice? Thanks so much!!
    Overkill? I would call it a absolute necessity! Take the 70-200 f2.8 -- especially of it has IS. Almost all my lion and leopard shots were taken with the 70-200 f2.8 IS on my 5DIII at 3200, 6400, and 12,800 ISO. It was nearly pitch dark for some of the shots, to the point where I had to use manual focus...

Your 50-500mm at f4.5-5.6 will be challenging on either of those bodies in low light.

http://hilbush.smugmug.com/Vacation/South-Africa

Mark
  • Options
    Thanks Mark,
    Can I ask what the circumstances were when it was pitch dark? Early morning, evening? On the tour I'm doing (the classic safari in Kenya and Tanzania) the itinerary doesn't seem to have any wildlife drives in the evening. Not saying it's not going to happen - just trying to get a handle on what to expect. :)

Also, on your trip in South Africa (have no idea how different the tours are) did you take the intra-tour small plane rides anywhere? What is the carry on allowance? If I bring my duffle, can I bring my camera bag as well? Thanks!! I'm so excited! Great shots, btw. I'm hoping to get some amazing stuff!!
  • Options
    And just realized the spelling error in my original post. Allowed (obviously), not aloud. I am going to blame it on autocorrect. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
  • Options
    AmyB wrote:
    Can I ask what the circumstances were when it was pitch dark? Early morning, evening? On the tour I'm doing (the classic safari in Kenya and Tanzania) the itinerary doesn't seem to have any wildlife drives in the evening. Not saying it's not going to happen - just trying to get a handle on what to expect. :)
    On our tour, the game drives were early morning and late afternoon. On the early morning drives, the light was low at the start of the drive. Our last morning drive was very overcast. Between that and the early morning hour, f2.8 came in very handy. For the afternoon drives, it got dark towards the end of the drive, which is the time when we would tend to see the lions and leopards. That was when f2.8 at high ISO was the only way to get a decent shutter speed. If you will not be out in the afternoon on your tour, you may not face the same challenges.
    AmyB wrote:
    Also, on your trip in South Africa (have no idea how different the tours are) did you take the intra-tour small plane rides anywhere? What is the carry on allowance? If I bring my duffle, can I bring my camera bag as well? Thanks!! I'm so excited!
    Some of the in-country flights were on smaller planes. Nonetheless, I was able to fit my Think Tank Airport International in the overhead. Your mileage may vary... As for carry-on weight restrictions, I recall it was 8 kg. At 40 pounds, my bag was WAY over the limit. If I had been challenged, I would've put the bodies and lenses in my vest. I also had pre-weighed everything ahead of time, so I knew exactly what I needed to remove from the bag to bring it within regs. :-) Also, the Think Tank looks like a normal carryon, so I think that helped avoid drawing attention to my gear.

Again, you're on a different tour so I can't really predict what you will experience.
    AmyB wrote:
    Great shots, btw. I'm hoping to get some amazing stuff!!
    Thanks. It's hard to not get some spectacular shots. Enjoy!
This discussion has been closed.