Emily: luggage in Johannesburg

I'm part of a group of 4 on the July trip, but wondered how we combine our luggage when we get to Johannesburg? I do NOT want to try to manage both the duffel and my regular suitcase, but would prefer to be able to combine the luggage for easier transport. I'm in my seventies and don't think I can manage both pieces of luggage and a carryon bag.

Nor do I want to open up my bags in public to make the combination. What are we supposed to do?

Comments

• Hello Toby,

Due to space limitations on aircrafts, we urge you to bring one average size suitcase per person with weight not exceeding 44 pounds. The 44 lb weight restriction is applicable to the Cape Town to Livingstone on-tour flight that is part of this journey. Luggage exceeding the 44lb weight restriction risk being left behind or subject to expensive overage fees.

In addition, one small size carry-on is permitted (one per passenger). We recommend the dimensions of your carry-on not exceed 20" long X 15" wide X 10" high.
    For nights 6-11, we will be using the Tauck duffel bags for our travel on small aircraft where luggage must be soft sided and cannot exceed 33lbs. Our large luggage pieces will travel with us from Cape Town, to Livingstone, and across the border to Kasane, Botswana. As we depart with our duffel bags for 3 nights Khwai River Lodge and 3 nights Camp Kalahari, our larger luggage pieces will be flown down to Maun for storage until our arrival on Day 12. On Day 12, we will be reunited with our luggage at Maun airport for our flight to Johannesburg and the end of the tour.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Emily,

Please provide the dimensions and weight (empty) of the Tauck duffle bags. I assume that these bags will have to be part of our 44-lb checked baggage or be used as a carry-on bag betwwen J'burg and Cape Town.

Also, will any of these requirements change for 2014 departures, given the differences in routing?

Nick
  • Emily, I did NOT require a recap of the luggage requirements, etc. I read the Tauck material carefully; everything but your last sentence was a waste of time/space. All I asked was will we be given time/place to take our clothing OUT of the duffel, collapse the duffel and place into the previously stored luggage for our return flights. You did NOT answer this question at all.
  • Hi Toby,

My apologies for not answering your questions adequately. I forwarded your questions to the Tour Manager and this was his response.

"Guests will meet up with their stored bags in Maun. They are allowed to check their stored bag and duffle from Maun to J’burg. Some guests have been “re-packing” in the Maun airport or when they collect their bags in Johannesburg. The best place to organize is right by the luggage belt.

Unfortunately there is no other solution."

I know this not the ideal situation for you so I have requested a Tauck agent to call you with your options and reach a resolution.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Emily,

Please provide the dimensions and weight (empty) of the Tauck duffle bags. I assume that these bags will have to be part of our 44-lb checked baggage or be used as a carry-on bag betwwen J'burg and Cape Town.

Also, will any of these requirements change for 2014 departures, given the differences in routing?

Nick

Hi Nick of Skara Brae,

Let me double check on the duffle size and I will get back to you.

Thanks,
    Emily
  • Hello Nick of Skara Brae,

The size of the duffel is approximately 24 inches in length and 12 inches in height. The duffels will be used in lieu of your checked bags days indicated below. On the day 6 (Botswana) you will pack your duffel with the contents of your 44lb luggage. Your larger suitcase will meet up with you on Day 12 (J'burg). In 2014, duffels will be used for days 3-9 (Botswana to Maun).

Hope this help,
    Emily
  • Thank you Emily

This addresses my question in part. I'm still interested in which of the following scenarios apply.

If the duffle bags will be issued to us by our tour director when we first need them (eg, in Botswana) and returned to Tauck when no longer needed (eg, in Maun), this seems straightforward.

However, if the duffles are sent to our homes before we depart for Africa and become our property throughout the trip, the weight and size (empty) of the duffle needs to be considered in our luggage planning.

Nick
  • Nick, the duffles are sent to you before you leave home and you pack them in your luggage until you need them. If you flatten them out they don't take up much room and they only weigh a pound or two.
  • Emily,

the 20 x 15 x 10 how much can it weigh I know the large bag is 44 to livingston and 33 tauck bag....confused on weights for carry on? Tauck book page 22 said 15 lbs...does that included camera, back pack etc??????

jo
  • Jo Jo. On our trip the weight of our carry-on bags was never checked.
This discussion has been closed.