Options

camera

is it better to bring a camera with a ion-lithium battery that needs recharging or is it better to bring one that takes batteries? I need to purchase one and can't decide which type to get.

thanks Ann

Comments

• Options
    Even with a camera that uses AA batteries, you will probably want to use rechargeable batteries. Assuming you plan to take a lot of pictures on this trip, a sufficient supply of alkaline batteries would be quite heavy, and shopping for new batteries along the way may not always be convenient. Thus the type of battery (AA vs. proprietory) probably should not be your first consideration in buying a camera - provided you remember to pack the charger. Most battery chargers today are dual-voltage, and thus should not need a converter to use in Africa. You should plan to take two (sets of) batteries, one for the camera while the other is in the charger.
  • Options
    Hi,
    We just bought a Nikon Coolpix P520. (at Costco) It has a 42 X zoom and from what I have been told by the experienced here on the forum, it should have plenty of zoom. It came with a battery and a 4 G picture card. I ordered from Amazon last week a special from Butterfly consisting of 2 batteries, another charger-this one goes into the wall as opposed to the one that came with the camera, where you have to plug the camera into the charger, then into the wall, film to protect the monitor, a car charger (which does not fit this model though) a european plug adaptor and a lens cleaning cloth--all for $19.95. I had planned to buy just another battery, now I have 3. I don't know how much these batteries cost by themselves, but for my previous camera the battery cost was $45. I took the instruction manual disk to Kinkos and they printed a spiral bound a book of it for $35.00 Nice compact size. Now to learn how to use it.
    I have to agree, that it is much easier to recharge your batteries than to be carrying dozens of them. I am taking 2 extension cords with us so that I can plug in more than one rechargeable item at a time since I only have one outlet adapter for Africa.

Francesca
  • Options
    Just returned from this trip a couple weeks ago. The best advise I can give you is to buy a nice camera. You don't need to spend thousands of dollars to get the best shot, but here's the route I'd highly recommend. Buy the Cannon Powershot 50x zoom on it. Trust me, you'll need it. In Tanzania - you're Safari Truck CAN NOT leave the road, so it was often we had sightings that were far out. In most instances, I was the ONLY person who could get a clean shot. Second piece of advice, buy a small TRIPOD. Not anything pick just table-top size that you can rest on the roof of the Safari truck. When you do need to use the 50x zoom; you really need a tripod otherwise the shot will shake and you get nothing. The Camera sells for $399 on Amazon and a number of folks on my tour went out and bought it when they got home. As a side note: the 50x zoom is the equiv. of a 1200mm lens.
  • Options
    I have a Nikon that is 24x zoom. I am planning this trip in a few years and was wondering if this is enough of a zoom. I would hate to have to get another camera for just this one trip. Right now this camera is just a few years old. This year I am going to Italy and am planning on leaving it at home. Too much theft in Italy from what I have heard, so only taking my small Nikon with me.
  • Options
    Both the Coolpix 520 and Powershot SX50 should be great choices for this trip (I am taking the latter). The Powershot also has an articulating LCD screen (I don't know about the Coolpix), which may be helpful if you don't have a direct line of sight on the subject and can't use the viewfinder. As for a tripod, I plan to take a Gorillapod. It functions like a tabletop tripod, but has bendable legs so that it can be firmly attached to the vehicle's roll bar (or almost any other object). I found a cheaper immitation at Target, but the original has a quick-release mechanism that better supports rapid changes to hand-held operation. Be wary of extension cords purchased in the U.S. unless they are rated for 220v current, to reduce the risk of fire. You might want to shop on Amazon for an extension cord rated for the stronger current. I bought one in Ireland a few years ago that I use when outside the U.S.
  • Options
    Hi,
    We just bought a Nikon Coolpix P520. (at Costco) It has a 42 X zoom and from what I have been told by the experienced here on the forum, it should have plenty of zoom. It came with a battery and a 4 G picture card. I ordered from Amazon last week a special from Butterfly consisting of 2 batteries, another charger-this one goes into the wall as opposed to the one that came with the camera, where you have to plug the camera into the charger, then into the wall, film to protect the monitor, a car charger (which does not fit this model though) a european plug adaptor and a lens cleaning cloth--all for $19.95. I had planned to buy just another battery, now I have 3. I don't know how much these batteries cost by themselves, but for my previous camera the battery cost was $45. I took the instruction manual disk to Kinkos and they printed a spiral bound a book of it for $35.00 Nice compact size. Now to learn how to use it.
    I have to agree, that it is much easier to recharge your batteries than to be carrying dozens of them. I am taking 2 extension cords with us so that I can plug in more than one rechargeable item at a time since I only have one outlet adapter for Africa.

Francesca
    I'm not going on your trip but just bought the P520 as well. We are on a riverboat from Budapest to Amsterdam. My husband will use the P520 and I will use my Canon T3i. Both should produce fantastic photos. Still trying to learn how to use the P520. Looks pretty easy. Bought it at Costco. Got a case, 16 GIg card with it. I thought it was a good deal.
    Terri
  • Options
    Terri,

Just checked and I also got the 16 G card, not the 4 as I thought. Also found out about the extra batteries and chargers that I bought on Amazon--the auto charger that they sent plugs into the wall charger, then the outlet in your car, does not plug into the camera as I thought. Instructions would have been nice. We bought the new camera in anticipation of our Africa trip with Tauck, next July. Trying it out on this trip, if I don't like it I may return it. Loved my little Panasonic, but dropped it too many times. We leave this Wed 6/19 for a river cruise too!!--on Viking though, from Amsterdam to Bucharest (the Black Sea) Maybe we'll sail by each other or dock next to each other. When do you leave?
  • Options
    Nick,

Thanks for the advice on the tripod, hadn't thought of bringing one. May return the Coolpix if I am not happy with it on the trip we leave for this Wednesday. Our Africa trip isn't until July 2014, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Our cruise is July 14. Will be in Vienna from July 8-14 prior to the cruise. Hoping the waters recede enough for a great cruise for both of us.
    Good luck with the camera. Let me know how it works out.
    Terri
  • Options
    TerriB,

Thanks, and will let you know about the camera. I have spent the time to read the instruction manual and play around with it, hope I can remember what I read. Did you read my earlier suggestion about having Kinkos print out and spiral bind the manual. So much easier than what I could do. They did a great job, small size is perfect.

We return July 18, you will be on your trip, but I may be checking the forum while we are gone. Have a great trip too!
    Francesca
  • Options
    TerriB,

Thanks, and will let you know about the camera. I have spent the time to read the instruction manual and play around with it, hope I can remember what I read. Did you read my earlier suggestion about having Kinkos print out and spiral bind the manual. So much easier than what I could do. They did a great job, small size is perfect.

We return July 18, you will be on your trip, but I may be checking the forum while we are gone. Have a great trip too!
    Francesca
    I downloaded the manual and put it on my iPad and access it from my nook software. It works great. I also have my Canon T3i rebel manual on there. Very easy to access and much less paper to carry around.
  • Options
    TerriB,

Francesca
    I downloaded the manual and put it on my iPad and access it from my nook software. It works great. I also have my Canon T3i rebel manual on there. Very easy to access and much less paper to carry around. Also instead of extension cords I pack a power strip.
  • Options
    Hi Terri,

Hope you enjoyed your trip as much as we did. Everything from Amsterdam to Bucharest was done beautifully and we will definetly travel with them again, but Tauck is still our favorite.

I wasn't happy with the Coolpix camera though. I guess I am just not used to that lens cap flapping around, the side viewer made it more difficult to find the object I was trying to take a pic of and of course not being able to just slip it into a pocket. I have returned it.

If a camera this size does not bother you, (and we will be getting another one for Africa,) but looking at the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ 70. It has a 60x optical zoom and the viewfinder is right in front as opposed to being on the side (where in my case, it will easily be jarred/torn off). It has 16.1 MP, which is better than the Cannon that has been posted about. $399 on Amazon. Ever hopeful that one with these capabilities will be on the market soon, but small enough to slip into my pocket.
    Francesca
This discussion has been closed.