Istanbul

I would love to hear from anyone who has recently returned from Istanbul. Was sightseeing, or any other aspect of your experience, affected by recent riots? Thank you for your reply.

Comments

• We leave today for Athens and I'll try to let you know. I am curious as well. We are receiving updates from the state department's Istanbul consulate but have heard nothing from Tauck, so I guess we are a "go". the hotel is right on Taksim Square though so I'm guessing they'll make other arrangements!
  • Im surprised Tauck has not given you any information. We have the trip booked for end of August and are very concerned....
  • We left Istanbul right before the protests. We did see a huge police presence as we walked through the park and on the square, but thought nothing of it. The hotel is right there at the park and we could see the park, square,and pedestrian
    Street from our room. Flew home on May 28 and the protests started right after that. I am sure that Tauck will not put you in harms way. I am sure that they are monitoring the situation. Must admit that it would put a damper on the trip and it would be hard not to wonder if protests might break out again. It was hard to see pictures of the crowds and the mess on the streets and in the park.
  • Thanks, holmescr. I look forward to hearing from you when you get back. Our trip is scheduled for September....but we are still a little apprehensive about the Istanbul segment.
  • I have been in Turkey for thr pasr week and have had no problem with thr protesters. I am here with another company and did not stay in the same area as Tauck stays but am sure they would not stay anywhere that would put you in danger. Turkey is a fantastic country with so much to offer. It would be a shame not to visit.
    Gary
  • Thanks, Gary, for your input. We SO want to go. I too am confident that Tauck will take great care of us. Perhaps I should stop watching the nightly news?!
  • It was a wonderful, beautiful, fun, fantastic trip!!!! As expected, Tauck monitored the situation closely and moved our group to a lovely 5star hotel when it became clear that the government was continuing its crackdown on the people in Taksim square. I LOVED Istanbul and our guides we so knowledgable about the ancient history as well as the current situation. I am so glad we went and I can not say enough about our Tauck tour director's professionalism and care of us Taucktourians. A+++.
  • Thank you SO much for your report, holmescr! It is exactly what I expected and wanted to hear. We are delighted that you had such a good trip. Your enthusiasm heightens our anticipation for our September adventure. Wonderful, wonderful!
This discussion has been closed.