Hotel rooms

I am wondering what,if any, unique differences we may find in room accommodations at the various hotels as compared with U.S. comparable logging.

Comments

• edited June 2013
    Bense wrote:
    I am wondering what,if any, unique differences we may find in room accommodations at the various hotels as compared with U.S. comparable logging.

I can't say from personal experience since our tour doesn't begin until 7 July, but Tauck books 4 - 5 star hotels. The rooms are typcially classified as "standard", "classic," etc. and while not the penthouse, are quite a few steps above a Motel 6 and even Holiday Inn or Hampton Inns.

The hotels have websites with full descriptions and photos of the rooms.

The Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa in Edinburgh was recently remodeled and added a feature I find "interesting"(?)- glass walled bathrooms (see photo). I guess we'll have to wait and see.

she474gr.120702_ub.jpg
  • Hotels in England are extremely nice, specially the boutique hotels. You can get good information and review from Conde Nast Johansens' website. I generally refer to this site before travelling, it's quite good!
  • Many of the modern hotels, such as the picture of the Sheraton Grand shows, are very spacious. Even by American standards. However, they are the exception and usually very expensive. My first trip to England was quite different although a delight. I stayed in B&B's many of which are older homes. I had learned to order a double room ensuite just for myself otherwise the room and the bed were too small and I'd have to go down the hall to the bathroom. In a subsequent trip, I stayed in three hotels, although I prefer the picturesque and comfortable B&B's. They were also much cheaper. In two different instances I stayed in coaching inns - one opened in 1510 in Cornwall and another in 1700 in the Borders in Scotland! The latter was in the middle of nowhere. I planned both those trips.
  • We took the trip last summer. Here's my impressions:

The Sheraton in Edinburgh is a typical modern big city hotel, comparable to what you might get in the U.S. Excellent restaurant and well located.

The Langdale in the Lake District is more of a woodsy resort. Both a hotel and timeshare property. Very nice, but not elegant.

The hotels in Wales and Bath are new this year. Can't comment on those.

The Randolph in Oxford is an historic Victorian hotel. Some of the floors tilt a little bit and it definitely has an older feel. That being said, the rooms are nice and the location is superb (right across the street from the Ashmolean Museum).

The Royal Horseguards is the best of the bunch. Well located in an historic building, the interiors are modern and gorgeous. They serve a great afternoon tea in the lobby (make reservations). Our room was a larger room (the type listed on their website as "executive"). We came back later on our own and stayed in a "deluxe" room. It was a bit cramped (more to European or New York standards). I'm not sure if Tauck books the larger rooms or we just got lucky.

All in all the hotels lived up to the high standards of Tauck. They generally get the "best available" hotels, though sometimes location wins over luxury. For more information on any of the hotels, visit their websites.

Enjoy your trip.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file