Options

S.A., Zambia, and Botswana...Just returned from May 11th Trip

This trip is a wow!! Loved every minute of it. What an adventure. Please note that you will need to bring gloves, a hat and some warm clothing. I would suggest some lightweight but warm long underwear. It gets cold at night and you can use it for sleeping as well as during evening outings!!! Come prepared!! We only saw one mosquito on the entire trip and it was during daylight hours. Also, plan on getting dirty in the Kalahari. Much dust. Bring a set of clothes that you can wear for all 3 days while at this location. This is the location where it was the coldest. I say again, BRING LONG UNDERWEAR and a good fleece or sweatshirt AND A JACKET. Brrr. Our first time with Tauck but it won't be our last.

Comments

• Options
    Bikerbill wrote:
    This trip is a wow!! Loved every minute of it. What an adventure. Please note that you will need to bring gloves, a hat and some warm clothing. I would suggest some lightweight but warm long underwear. It gets cold at night and you can use it for sleeping as well as during evening outings!!! Come prepared!! We only saw one mosquito on the entire trip and it was during daylight hours. Also, plan on getting dirty in the Kalahari. Much dust. Bring a set of clothes that you can wear for all 3 days while at this location. This is the location where it was the coldest. I say again, BRING LONG UNDERWEAR and a good fleece or sweatshirt AND A JACKET. Brrr. Our first time with Tauck but it won't be our last.

Well said. On our May 2 trip I took long underwear and used it as my pajamas along with the so important sweater over them. I almost made the mistake of leaving the jacket with fleece behind. That is an essential travel item at this time of year. And thanks for confirming the dust situation.
  • Options
    Thanks for your note. We are thinking of going in August 2014 - maybe it won't be so cold!!!

What were the top three highlights of the trip?

How was the food?
  • Options
    Hi Bikerbill- I was on the trip with you and agree with all your clothing suggestions . I brought a pair of lined trekking pants and wore them every morning out in the trucks. And some nights as well. Just want to add - and make people aware - there is no electricity at the camp in the Kalahari. Plan accordingly. You will be able to charge your readers etc at a central charging location but there are no heaters or electric hair blow dryers. No wifi or phone service. Water is hot and warm during the day due to solar heat. That said - what a wonderful trip!!! This was our third time to Africa with Tauck and we can't stop talking about it. To TravelGuy - the food is outstanding and believe me, you will never be hungry. Breakfast, lunch, tea, sundowner, dinner. You will have to pace yourself!
  • Options
    The top 3 highlights? This whole trip was amazing. The only day I didn't really like was the tour of Cape Town. A total waste of time, I thought. They should do a tour of wineries in Stellenbosch instead (are you listening Tauck??). August is mid-winter there and it will be just as cold (nights only) in 2014 as it is this year. Take clothes for warmth or you will suffer. It was cold at night and hot during the day in Botswana. Cape Town may be cold all day in August. The food and drinks on this trip were terrific. Plenty of both. Every meal had vegetarian options as well. The accomodations on this trip were first rate. The One & Only Cape Town and the Khwai River Lodge were especially nice. In Cape Town we ate at both of the One & Only restaurants and at several nearby (walking distance) restaurants on the wharf (we arrived 3 days prior to the start of the tour). We thought the meals in the wharf restaurants were better. With the exception of breakfast. The breakfast at the One & Only was excellent. Don't hesitate to sign up for this trip. We traveled with people who had been to Africa multiple times with other tour companies and they thought this trip was over the top in comparison.
  • Options
    Hi Bikerbill,

Thank you for your feedback Bikerbill, I will pass on your comments regarding the Stellenbosch to our Product Management Team.

Best,
    Emily
  • Options
    Greetings and thanks for the information and advice! We leave a week from today for this wonderful trip, and I have a couple of questions: First, at the 3 locations with wi-fi, it is free or for a fee? Second, where do we meet up with our luggage to return home? Is there a day room available for showers, changing, etc.? The luggage weight and size restrictions combined with the wide temperature range are making this a packing challenge. All the comments and advice really help.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info, we are on the June trip. One quick question, is there cell phone and/or internet access in Botswanna and Livingstone? I do understand there is nothing available in the Khalari
  • Options
    There was wi-fi (internet) available everywhere but the Kalahari but it was very slow and difficult to use. We did not make any phone calls so don't know if it was possible. The wi-fi was free at all locations. You rejoin your luggage at Maun on your way to Jo-burg and home. We did not reach Jo-burg until late afternoon and I don't think anyone in our group used a day room because of time constraints. We overpacked for this trip. However you can take an amazing amount of stuff if you travel with lightweight duffles instead of suitcases. You can get clothes washed at Khwai River but don't plan on it at Camp Kalahari (takes too long). Just plan on wearing the same clothes in the Kalahari all three days. They will get very dusty but everyone else will be in the same condition so it's no big deal. T-shirts during the day, jackets and warm clothes in the evening and early mornings. We took several pairs of shorts but really only needed one. We wore our convertible safari pants most days as they recommend long pants when in the bush. Change into some clean clothes when you leave Camp Kalahari for Jo-burg. Be very careful at the Jo-berg airport. Many thieves. We got into an elevator with a single man who tried to get money from us. When we got off, a cop told us we did something stupid and were lucky he didn't try to take one of our bags. There are police everywhere there so keep a close eye on your stuff and don't trust anyone. Tauck, I would suggest that you continue to end the trip in Botswana, rather than in Cape Town, but visit Camp Kalahari first and end the trip at Khwai River where it's easier to get cleaned up and ready for the trip home.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    In Cape Town, do any of the tours include visiting the penguins at Boulder Beach near St Simon? If not, any recommendations on the best way to get there from the hotel? We are arriving June 26th 2013
  • Options
    Bikerbill, when you say 'You got on an elevator with a single man....and the cop said you did something stupid' did the cop mean you shouldn't have gotten on the elevator with the single man?

Thanks!

Rich
  • Options
    I am interested in this answer too. Also, did you wrap your luggage in plastic? I am reading about Joburg airport luggage crews rifling through bags that are out of sight.
  • Options
    Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, the cop said to never enter an elevator when it's occupied by men. Lots and lots of thefts at the airport. And yes, after talking with some of the security people, we paid the $5 or $10 to have our luggage wrapped in plastic.
  • Options
    Thanks Bikerbill! That is a great tip. Something like this would never have occured to me. No elevators with men. Noted! About that wrapping of the luggage, was that on the way home or both ways?

Thanks again!
  • Options
    Bikerbill:

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Hi Bikerbill,

Thank you for your feedback Bikerbill, I will pass on your comments regarding the Stellenbosch to our Product Management Team.

Best,
    Emily

I am taking this trip next September....and I did some research on Stellenbosch and yes, I agree it would be a wonderful place to spend more time.
  • Options
    Contractor wrote:
    Hi Bikerbill- I was on the trip with you and agree with all your clothing suggestions . I brought a pair of lined trekking pants and wore them every morning out in the trucks. And some nights as well. Just want to add - and make people aware - there is no electricity at the camp in the Kalahari. Plan accordingly. You will be able to charge your readers etc at a central charging location but there are no heaters or electric hair blow dryers. No wifi or phone service. Water is hot and warm during the day due to solar heat. That said - what a wonderful trip!!! This was our third time to Africa with Tauck and we can't stop talking about it. To TravelGuy - the food is outstanding and believe me, you will never be hungry. Breakfast, lunch, tea, sundowner, dinner. You will have to pace yourself!

Thanks so much Bikerbill for the input on the electricity....I can hardly wait to have dinner under the African sunset!
  • Options
    Bikerbill wrote:
    The top 3 highlights? This whole trip was amazing. The only day I didn't really like was the tour of Cape Town. A total waste of time, I thought. They should do a tour of wineries in Stellenbosch instead (are you listening Tauck??). August is mid-winter there and it will be just as cold (nights only) in 2014 as it is this year. Take clothes for warmth or you will suffer. It was cold at night and hot during the day in Botswana. Cape Town may be cold all day in August. The food and drinks on this trip were terrific. Plenty of both. Every meal had vegetarian options as well. The accomodations on this trip were first rate. The One & Only Cape Town and the Khwai River Lodge were especially nice. In Cape Town we ate at both of the One & Only restaurants and at several nearby (walking distance) restaurants on the wharf (we arrived 3 days prior to the start of the tour). We thought the meals in the wharf restaurants were better. With the exception of breakfast. The breakfast at the One & Only was excellent. Don't hesitate to sign up for this trip. We traveled with people who had been to Africa multiple times with other tour companies and they thought this trip was over the top in comparison.

Surprised to hear how cold it gets at night "even in August" we are travelling in September but not until 2014. I will pack my cuddle duds.
  • Options
    I guess I should take my long underwear in September too?
  • Options
    Leaving August 18th from Charlotte to Atlanta to J' burg to Capetown. Does this mean I have the luggage wrapped at CLT airport so when it gets to J burg ok? Then do I go thru customs in j'burg then wrap again to get to capetown? Help?
This discussion has been closed.