Options

kenya and tanzania classic safari july 27, 2013

We are over-the-top excited and would love to talk to folks who have done this trip, or esp anyone scheduled on the same tour. I'm trying to learn some swahili phrases and am not sure about pronunciation. Also would love to talk about etiquette involving giving small gifts to children. We are in Overland Park Ks and this is our first Africa trip. Jeanne

Comments

• Options
    Lenexajeanne,

I took this trip last August and I learned about 20 phrases in Swahili, however, I actually only used the following on a regular basis:
    Hello - Jambo
    Thank you - Asante
    Thank you very much - Asante sana
    Yes - Ndiyo
    No - Hapana
    Please - Tafadali
    How are you? - Habari
    Friend - Rafiki

Pronounce the vowels as follows and the rest of the letters just as you would in English and you'll be speaking Swahili.

A like the A in Father
    E like the A in Say
    I like the E in Be
    O like the O in Hoe
    U like the OO in Too
    The local people seem to really enjoy when you say something to them in Swahili - I think they are very flattered by it.

Right now I'm learning Zulu for my trip to South Africa in September, however, I don't think I'll use it nearly as much I did the Swahili because I understand they speak many languages in South Africa - not just Zulu.

As far as gifts for children, most of the people in my group brought school supplies (I brought colored pencils).

You are in for the trip of a lifetime. It is really fabulous! Enjoy!!
  • Options
    blackmagic, Thank you, thank you - oops, I mean asante sana for your phrase and pronunciation guide! I'm sure I won't be the only person on this site to make use of your knowledge. Here's to good weather for both our trips...Jeanne
  • Options
    Hi Jeanne,
    Looks like you already have enough words for you to converse here in Kenya. blackmagic79 has given you good and common swahili words used here. To pronunciation is like Spanish kind of (in regard to my little spanish knowledge). Have a nice trip here. Oh just one; Sawa sawa means ok, or that's right!

Clare
  • Options
    Google Translate has English-Swahili plus audible. Works on my iPhone.
  • Options
    Hi Jeanne,
    I am going on this tour as well and couldn't be more excited! The information posted above is great, thanks everyone! I'm a photographer from Chicago and can't wait!!! I can't believe we will be leaving in a week. Looking forward to it!

Amy
  • Options
    I am on the trip now and having a fabulous time. Gifts directly to the children are frowned upon because it encourages them to go out begging and not stay in school.Some of us brought school supplies and our tour director, Eric, gives all the supplies directly to the teachers. As for Swahili, everybody, including the children, speak English! Jambo, means hello and asante sana is thank you. Kwaheri is goodbye. Everybody understands a friendly face and a smile! They all appreciate that you try. The weather us warmer than I expected. You dont need an inflatable seat cushion. All the jeeps have seat cushions, so I'm going to return mine, never used. The Serena Hotels you will be staying at have great prices for sending out dirty clothes, and they will be dirty! And the Maasi woman and her daughter at the Arusha Mountain Lodge has beautiful beaded things and she will negotiate. Happy to answer any other questions. I believe Eric will be your guide as well, and he is just terrific. He pays an amazing attention to detail! Enjoy your trip!
  • Options
    Asante sana, Suellyn for the many helpful tips. What have the temps been for you so far? I am so excited to "get out of Dodge" with our temps in 90's with high humidity. I'm looking forward to meeting Eric. I'll have to tell him I've heard good things about him. A great guide makes such a difference on any trip. Hope you have a fabulous rest of your tour! Jeanne
  • Options
    Amy B Jambo! So excited to meet you in just a few days! Chicago is one of our favorite cities, plus two of my three grown sons live in Chicago now! We'll have some Chicago stories to trade as we're out in our jeeps watching the zebras and giraffes, beside our luxurious tents around a campfire on the Masai Mara, or watching the elephants at the reserve! Is this your first safari? I've been staging my luggage for the last two weeks, I'm so excited. Have a new camera I must get more familiar with, too. What are your thoughts on the food? I'm a little worried; my tastes are pretty provincial. Jeanne in Overland Park, Kansas
  • Options
    Suellen What kinds of food have you been enjoying? I'm planning on bringing lots of almonds and dried fruit - is that a good idea to do or not? Everyone says food is really good, but I'm not at all sure what we'll be served. Asanta sana for taking the time to share your experiences....Jeanne
  • Options
    Hi all,

I'm in Kenya now re-packing for the trip home. Eric, your guide, is terrific. Very detail oriented! You won't have to worry about a thing! The weather has been great! I brought too much stuff fir cold, but it's been warm and beautiful.as everyone says, it's cooler in the mornings and evenings. Short delved t-shirts for the days, with a safari vest or light sweater/jacket. Something a little warmer for cool mornings, but by 11:00 am you will be peeling layers off. As for the food, I'm a really picky eater and I didn't have too much trouble. There is a lot
  • Options
    Hi all,

I'm in Kenya now re-packing for the trip home. Eric, your guide, is terrific. Very detail oriented! You won't have to worry about a thing! The weather has been great! I brought too much stuff fir cold, but it's been warm and beautiful.as everyone says, it's cooler in the mornings and evenings. Short delved t-shirts for the days, with a safari vest or light sweater/jacket. Something a little warmer for cool mornings, but by 11:00 am you will be peeling layers off. As for the food, I'm a really picky eater and I didn't have too much trouble. There is a lot
This discussion has been closed.