Is it dangerous to travel to the middle east right now?

I'm planning to travel by myself to Dubai, Jordan, Israel and Egypt. I plan to do tours for all countries, all the people I reckons it's dangerous because of the ongoing political violence? Is this true? Should I hold off traveling this year? PS im a 21 year old female. Thanks xx

Comments

• edited May 2013
    Hi Jeckjiem...You don't ask easy questions, do you? My wife and I traveled to Egypt and Israel in March 2013. Our neighbors did go to Dubai this winter. I know nothing of Jordan.

Before trying to answer your question, I'd like to offer a little advice. I'm much older than you are but I lived in North and Central Africa when I was your age. Back then, no young lady - and most young men - would have considered going to the places you plan to visit a-l-o-n-e. I realize the world has changed but...not that much. If you were my daughter, I would have a "daddy hissy fit" until you recruited several friends to accompany you. I would feel even better if you went with a group, like Tauck. They have a local network that is totally familiar with conditions and who can help if there is trouble.

Back to your question...is it safe? The absolutely honest answer is no but that didn't stop us. We left the Egyptian Museum in Cairo in the morning and riots broke out in Tahrir Square in the early afternoon. We left Bethlehem in the early afternoon and riots broke out that evening. Were we in danger? No, because we were lucky but that doesn't mean it is safe. If you do go, register with the U.S. Embassy so they know you are there. Do not EVER go anywhere near large gatherings or demonstrations. We were told the news media is even re-thinking having their female correspondents cover the demonstrations in Tahrir Square. These are very brave women but they are risking everything when they are in the middle of these riots.

In Israel you should be safe unless general hostilities break out with Syria or Hezbollah. There should be no problem in Dubai either. However, for a young woman traveling alone in the Arab world, there are no guarantees. I would like to be more encouraging but the facts are the facts and this is a very unsettled part of the world right now.

Next year? I hate to say this because we made some very good friends in Egypt. When I saw your question, I sent them an email asking how things were going. Egypt's economy is in a tailspin. Families are having trouble feeding themselves. There are no jobs. Tourism is still down. They are being told to expect gasoline rationing this summer. When we were there, people were waiting all night in gas lines just to get enough fuel to keep working. The outlook is not good. I really wish this was not the case but our friends are not optimistic. Good luck to you...Leo M
This discussion has been closed.