Options

Seasick?

I would love to take a river cruise, but it doesn't take much to make me seasick! I am especially fearful of eating and sleeping on a boat. Are there any fellow seasickies out there who have successfully taken river cruises? Which ones and when? Your recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    There is very little motion on the river ships. Check out discussions on other "cruise" web sites to read comments from many others . . . some who usually suffer from motion sickness.
  • Options
    I don't think you will have a problem on a river cruise. My wife is very prone to motion sickness and we did the cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam with no issues. I truly believe you would be more likely to get sick riding a bus on a land tour. Very smooth sailing!! I would honestly forget we were on a boat when I was dining or busy doing things on board. Plus, the tour was great. Good luck!
  • Options
    I took the French Riverboat tour called French Waterways and Vineyards. I get terrible seasickness, but had no trouble whatsoever. The river is fairly narrow (I think I could swim across if I had to), and even on a windy day, there was no extra motion. Also, the boat spends alot of time docked for sightseeing so isn't moving all that much, and the ports are close together.
  • Options
    I have been on a number of river cruises (in Germany, France, Italy, Russia, Asia) and have never experienced (or known anyone else who experienced) seasickness. As noted, there is not enough "wave action" to induce that condition. Worst case scenario - bring some Bonine with you but you won't need it. (I use that on ocean cruises on occasion when it gets rough.) Book a short river cruise first (seven days or less) then you can move on to longer cruises if you wish.
  • Options
    The boats are flat bottom and there was no rocking that causes seasickness.
  • Options
    I'll jump onboard with everyone else. I get very seasick on ocean going ships, but a riverboat is totally different. I never felt the least bit queasy. We were on the Danube cruise in July.
  • Options
    We have been on three Tauck riverboat cruises. You are more likely to get seasick in your home bath or shower. I am prone to motion sickness and don't give the riverboats a second thought. Enjoy...and, Tauck does it right.
  • Options
    We have been on three Tauck riverboat cruises. You are more likely to get seasick in your home bath or shower. I am prone to motion sickness and don't give the riverboats a second thought. Enjoy...and, Tauck does it right.
This discussion has been closed.