Options

Paradors of Spain

We and another couple are doing this Tauck trip that starts on Aug. 30, 2013. Any good suggestions for restaurants the 3 free nights on the trip? Barcelona, San Sebastian, & LIsbon.

Comments

• Options
    We did this tour in October 2013. Be prepared for great food and wine on this particular tour!
    We arrived in Barcelona a few days early and had arranged for an absolutely fabulous Tapas and Wine tour through a company, Spanish Trails. It was truly a highlight of our time there. We went to the four main areas of Barcelona with Andrew, our guide, and visited six tapas bars where we had a variety of tapas and Spanish wines. We really covered a lot of territory, although, it was quite leisurely and we were never rushed at any of the places we visited. The tour began at 6:30 pm and ended at about 1:30 am (was to end at 11 pm) and the tapas were all delicious! Andrew filled us in on historical and cultural sites as well as how to navigate the tapas bars. It was a wonderful introduction to Barcelona and made us feel very comfortable ordering tapas on our own. We were with three other couples, so it was a very intimate experience.
    This experience was so great, that when we got to San Sebastian, we arranged for a pintxos (tapas) and wine tour through the concierge at the Hotel Maria Cristina. We did the tour there through San Sebastian Food, and that, too, was a wonderful experience. By the way, San Sebastian was our very favorite city on this tour!
    Both of these were walking tours. They were great ways to experience the culture of both cities and get a feel for how the Spaniards eat, as well as sampling such delicious food and wine!
    If you have any questions about details about either of these tours, you can email me at joyce_sw@att.net, and I will be glad to give you more info about each one.
    Joyce
  • Options
    Hi, Joycesw.

My husband and I are going on the October 11 trip, and we would be interested in learning more about the Tapas and Wine tour. May I email you? (Didn't want to surprise you!)
  • Options
    Absolutely! I'll be glad to give you any info I have on these great side tours!
    Joyce
  • Options
    My husband and I are also taking this tour on Oct 11. The suggestions for the Tapas and Wine tour in Barcelona and the pintxos and vino in San Sebastian were great. Thanks!
  • Options
    Looking forward to meeting you and your husband, Chiquita!

• Options
    bknoch wrote:
    We and another couple are doing this Tauck trip that starts on Aug. 30, 2013. Any good suggestions for restaurants the 3 free nights on the trip? Barcelona, San Sebastian, & LIsbon.

My husband and I are on the tour beginning Aug. 30. We were in Barcelona about 7 years ago so we opted for only 1 extra nite here arriving on Aug. 29. We found a a tapas area on our own back then and had good food but would be interested in a tour that others have mentioned (Spanish Trails.) Since that will be our first day there, don't think we can stay out as late as 1:00 without collapsing San Sebastian is well know for their tapas, so would be interested in doing that there. We have traveled with talk 6 or 7 times and have always been pleased with guides, accomodations and special events they have scheduled. Does anyone know how many people are signed up for this tour?
  • Options
    Oops! Our 1:30 a.m. finish time was well beyond the scheduled hour (I think that was supposed to be 11:00 p.m.), so please don't write it off because of our unusual experience. Spanish Trails also has a lunch/tapas tour that might better suit your needs. Our tour with San Sebastian Food for pintxos ended at a much earlier hour, and while the food was phenomenal and the tour was great, the Barcelona tour was above and beyond our expectations, mixing history, culture, food and wine! That might just have been the result of a phenomenal guide!
    As far as Barcelona restaurants, Cuidad Condal (a tapas bar) is very close to the hotel, and has great food, although, it can get pretty crowded. A word of caution...our local guide recommended 7 Portes, which looked like a lovely place. It was a bit of a disappointment to a number of us who tried it as the paella was very heavy and not too great. It was also a bit pricy, and not necessarily worth it! Go with caution...there are much better places!
  • Options
    bknoch wrote:

Hi,

We are on the Aug 30 trip. Have been checking Yelp and TripAdvisor, but sometimes it is fun to discover your own places.
This discussion has been closed.