Options

Pre trip information

We are doing the May 19th Budapest to Amsterdam and all we have received in the way of information is a tiny little booklet with very general information; no specific information as to arrival and departure times in each port, where we will be docked in each port, and maps or other interesting information about each port, etc. We have done numerous other cruises and have received a significant amout of literature well before our trip to help us make the most of our time in each port. This is our first cruise with Tauck so we didn't know what to expect but we are wondering if we have not been sent this information in error or if the little bit we received is all we are going to receive.

Comments

• Options
    BGdann wrote:
    We are doing the May 19th Budapest to Amsterdam and all we have received in the way of information is a tiny little booklet with very general information; no specific information as to arrival and departure times in each port, where we will be docked in each port, and maps or other interesting information about each port, etc. We have done numerous other cruises and have received a significant amout of literature well before our trip to help us make the most of our time in each port. This is our first cruise with Tauck so we didn't know what to expect but we are wondering if we have not been sent this information in error or if the little bit we received is all we are going to receive.
    Wow! That does not make me happy. And you are leaving in a few days. We have two months and I was hoping that now that we have made final payment we would receive more specific info on the various tours in each port.
    Terri
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hi BGdann & Terri,

Ah, you've hit on the very reason you are doing a Tauck river cruise. Some companies will leave you on your own in each port to fend for yourselves. You can purchase a side trip or you can wander around on your own ... armed with the reams of paper they sent before departure and that you've had to carry to your destination. Tauck, however, take care of you from morn till night. Every evening you will get a small booklet, prepared just hours before, with the most up to date information on the next day's activities. The Cruise Director has been hard at work all day managing ahead and then preparing & producing the current booklet. Everything you will ever need to know ... well, almost everything! ... will be included :- meal times, docking times, weather forecasts, notes on the day's activities ... all sorts of useful & practical information. The actual docking details, day to day, probably won't be there because they can change, depending on the movements of other river traffic. Of course, all the details for arriving and departing, and transfers to and from the boat will be in your tour wallet that has already been sent to you at home.

I don't know about you, but I was very grateful I didn't have to carry a pile of information, compiled some time prior to departure for my trip, therefore rendering it inaccurate at the very least and irrelevant and heavy at worst. You already know the daily itinerary ... it's in the brochure, here on your trip's web page and you are also sent more detailed information in you tour wallet. Trust me, Tauck don't leave anything to chance, nor do they leave their travellers to fend for themselves. They do all the heavy lifting for you. They really are just thinking of your comfort.

Of course, if you are like me, you'll want to know everything about your forthcoming trip ... which is why I do lots of research about destinations, social history, food, climate.... I can't help myself! I'm a travel research junkie. But I leave the travel practicalities to Tauck. That's what they're good at and that's what I pay them for!

You are in for a wonderful travel experience. Have fun!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hi Jan. I thank you for the information you've given me and my husband and I
    always do immense amounts of research before we travel but how are we supposed to plan any of our free time when we don't know: a) exactly how much free time we will have ie 1hour or 4 hours, b) where exactly the ships are going to be docked in each port, and c) where exactly the shuttles will be dropping us off when relevant? This is extremely frustrating and a bit disappointing from Tauck if I'm totally honest. Some people do like to have all of their ducks in a row before they go on vacation.
  • Options
    If you want additional information on the amount of free time spent in each location, contact Tauck. They can give you a more general idea. I just finished the river cruise from Brussels to Amsterdam and we did contact them to determine some of the time in Amsterdam. On that tour we had two free afternoons and thye dropped us at two different locations so you could explore different parts of the city.
  • Options
    We have done a number of riverboat trips with Tauck and just finished the one from Budapest to Amsterdam. As someone else mentioned, you will receive information when you get on the boat - believe me Tauck will not leave you in the dark. The booklet gives you an overview and then once on the ship you will receive specific information for each day. It was a great trip and I hope you enjoy.......
  • Options
    My daughter and I did this trip a few years ago. During the time we were on the river, the Danube was at an all time low, we had a heat wave, and we also had flooding. All this necessitate unexpected changes. We even had one guest wander off at one of the stops. She was finally found, but a Tauck Guide had to find transportation to the next stop where the two of them finally met the ship. If everything is written in stone, it means disappointments along the way. Each day the staff will try to accommodate any passenger requests.
  • Options
    BGdann wrote:
    Hi Jan. I thank you for the information you've given me and my husband and I
    always do immense amounts of research before we travel but how are we supposed to plan any of our free time when we don't know: a) exactly how much free time we will have ie 1hour or 4 hours, b) where exactly the ships are going to be docked in each port, and c) where exactly the shuttles will be dropping us off when relevant? This is extremely frustrating and a bit disappointing from Tauck if I'm totally honest. Some people do like to have all of their ducks in a row before they go on vacation.
    I am feeling a bit like you. We like to plan our free time as well and it would be nice to have an idea how much of it we might have in each port, even if it is a ballpark figure. I put a message out asking what was covered in the morning tour of Vienna because we are spending some time there pre-cruise and don't want to duplicate sightseeing. I did not get a meaningful answer, rather advice on what to see in Vienna. I do have the guidebooks, what I need is some info from Tauck.
    Terri
  • Options
    Hi Terri,

I've been loath to enter into this conversation because although we we did this trip in 2011 we did it from the other direction so I'm not sue that the times will be the same. I'll give you the abbreviated version of our day and night in Vienna as supplied in our daily programme.

7.30am-9.00am Breakfast in the dining room. You had a choice of the following;

Schonbrunn Palace

9.00 Board our coaches and depart for Schonbrunn Palace

Note no back packs or large handbags are allowed in the Palace but can be left on the coach. Photographs are not allowed inside the Palace but carry your camera with you as there will be plenty of opportunities for exterior and garden photos.

12.00pm Depart Schonbrunn Palace for Albertina. You can depart the coach here to enjoy free time in the city or remain on the coach and return to the ship for lunch.

Hofburg Complex

9.15am Board our coach and local guide for our drive to the city centre. We will enter the Hofburg complex and visit the silver chamber. After the tour you may continue to explore the city on your own or return to the ship, by coach, for lunch.

Please Note the last shuttle from the city to the ship departs at 4.00pm so your time in the city is limited.

We chose the Schonbrunn Palace tour ( I loved it) and then had lunch and a walk around the city returning on the last shuttle at 4.00pm. When we got back to the ship we had plenty of time to shower and dress for our concert at the Palais Pallavicini.

I hope this is of some use Terri and as you can see it was a full day and night in Vienna. You could choose in your time there to anything other than the above and you would not be clashing with any Tauck visit. If I ever get back to Vienna I would make sure I got to see the Lipizanner Horse rehearsal.

Rod
  • Options
    Hi Terri,

If you have a specific question, relevant to you and your trip alone, a personal rather than general one, you will need to ask Tauck directly. If your travel agent can't answer you, you need to go to Tauck. Directly.

This is a public internet forum. People post replies to questions on a casual basis. Hopefully most people who post do so for altruistic reasons. Hopefully people post out of a general love of travel and a specific regard for Tauck as a travel provider. Any answers posted here are very much the luck of the draw as to whether you like the replies, they are useful to you personally or indeed anyone posts at all. No one is compelled to provide a reply. The forum is very much a generalised resource, but it's a resource that a number of us try to make a positive and useful one, very much in the spirit of community. Hopefully, after your Tauck trip you will be moved by the same spirit of community to share your experiences with others.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    OzJohnno wrote:
    Hi Terri,

I've been loath to enter into this conversation because although we we did this trip in 2011 we did it from the other direction so I'm not sue that the times will be the same. I'll give you the abbreviated version of our day and night in Vienna as supplied in our daily programme.

7.30am-9.00am Breakfast in the dining room. You had a choice of the following;

Schonbrunn Palace

9.00 Board our coaches and depart for Schonbrunn Palace

Note no back packs or large handbags are allowed in the Palace but can be left on the coach. Photographs are not allowed inside the Palace but carry your camera with you as there will be plenty of opportunities for exterior and garden photos.

12.00pm Depart Schonbrunn Palace for Albertina. You can depart the coach here to enjoy free time in the city or remain on the coach and return to the ship for lunch.

Hofburg Complex

9.15am Board our coach and local guide for our drive to the city centre. We will enter the Hofburg complex and visit the silver chamber. After the tour you may continue to explore the city on your own or return to the ship, by coach, for lunch.

Please Note the last shuttle from the city to the ship departs at 4.00pm so your time in the city is limited.

We chose the Schonbrunn Palace tour ( I loved it) and then had lunch and a walk around the city returning on the last shuttle at 4.00pm. When we got back to the ship we had plenty of time to shower and dress for our concert at the Palais Pallavicini.

I hope this is of some use Terri and as you can see it was a full day and night in Vienna. You could choose in your time there to anything other than the above and you would not be clashing with any Tauck visit. If I ever get back to Vienna I would make sure I got to see the Lipizanner Horse rehearsal.

Rod
    Hi rod,
    So the way I see it, Tauck does not provide any type of tour of the city but only gives you a choice of either the Schonbrunn or Hofburg. You are then on your own to explore what you will in Vienna. I was under the impression that some sort of city tour was also included. I guess I was mistaken.
    Thanks for your help.
    Terri
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    jdurkin wrote:
    Hi Terri,

If you have a specific question, relevant to you and your trip alone, a personal rather than general one, you will need to ask Tauck directly. If your travel agent can't answer you, you need to go to Tauck. Directly.

This is a public internet forum. People post replies to questions on a casual basis. Hopefully most people who post do so for altruistic reasons. Hopefully people post out of a general love of travel and a specific regard for Tauck as a travel provider. Any answers posted here are very much the luck of the draw as to whether you like the replies, they are useful to you personally or indeed anyone posts at all. No one is compelled to provide a reply. The forum is very much a generalised resource, but it's a resource that a number of us try to make a positive and useful one, very much in the spirit of community. Hopefully, after your Tauck trip you will be moved by the same spirit of community to share your experiences with others.

Cheers,

Jan
    I certainly do not feel that anyone is compelled to answer me, however, if someone who has taken the same trip, as Rod, who so graciously answered me, could shed some light, it really helps.
    If I violated some forum rule, I'm unaware of it and I will limit myself to more general questions and discussions in the future. Sorry for upsetting the apple cart.
    Terri
  • Options
    Hi Terri -

I think we took the same travel preparedness course! I too like to research every part of my vacation to ensure we have the best experience possible while making these brief stops on our tours. I was reading travel books this week and making notes for our 2014 Ams to Bud cruise so I was rather interested in seeing the posts to your query. Yes, we know Tauck is going to take care of us and that it will be a magnificent trip but I too search for any and all clues that will tell me exactly what sites will be included in the land tours and approximately how much free time there will be to experience the cities on our own. Travelling can be such a "fluid" experience. Weather, break-downs, water levels, strikes, etc. can all affect even the best planned travel itinerary. I would guess Tauck doesn't provide such specificities in their itinerary until you actually arrive to give them the opportunity to take all the unknowns into account. We all know those "not-so-nice" travellers! Can you imagine the ruckus it could cause if a more specific itinerary changed - even slightly - and those folks had made certain plans or reservations?

I hope this isn't too much information, but I'm trying to take a different approach to answer your query. This is how I am filling in the empty spaces in the cruise itinerary. From reading various blogs, you can determine at which ports a shuttle will/may take you from the ship into town and which ports are close enough to walk into town. Sometimes I just Google "where is the river cruise port in XX" or "how far is the river cruise port from XXX" to see what pops up! In Vienna for example, Rod's itinerary as well as some other posts have suggested that Tauck may shuttle guests from the ship to Albertina, which is a museum located in the city center. Although this could certainly change, I'll be using this as a possible starting point to create my free-time walking tours.

Next, I assume a general statement such as "get an overview of Vienna with a morning sightseeing tour" is not going to include specific stops at major sites so I make my list of "must see" sites/restaurants/shops for each city and then mark those spots on a great walking map. (I personally use the Streetwise or MapEasy maps) When the TDs "cut us loose", I whip out my walking map and off we go! Depending on a variety of circumstances, Tauck may need to change a "drop off" point or alter how much free time is available to explore which can certainly be frustrating for those of us who are super-planners. However, I watch plenty of travel videos, read enough travel books, blogs and forums, that it's not difficult to take the daily itinerary that Tauck provides and alter my walking tours in minimal time.

Terri - I truly feel your pain and I don't think your question was inappropriate at all! I'm glad you posted it and thank Rod for providing at least an idea of what his Tauck daily itinerary in Vienna entailed. Once I considered all the problems a more detailed itinerary could cause, I accepted the challenge to ramp up my planning techniques to accommodate the information that "was" provided.

Would love for you to post your post cruise experiences and recommendations!

Wish you safe travels!
    Beth

• Options
    Hello TerriB,

Please let me know how I can help you. I will be more than happy to help.

Thanks,
    Emily
  • Options
    Hello TerriB,

Please let me know how I can help you. I will be more than happy to help.

Thanks,
    Emily
    Hi Emily,
    In the description of the day in Vienna, it indicates that the morning consists of an overview of the city and the afternoon allows us to choose either the Schonbrunn or the Hofburg. My question for those who may have done this trip is whether there were any stops in the morning tour and what they were. I ask because we are spending three days prior to the cruise in Vienna and do not want to duplicate what Tauck will provide. I realize that nothing is written in stone and everything is subject to change depending on a variety of circumstances such as weather, river levels and what have you, but a general idea of what is covered would be nice so that we could plan our pre-cruise days in Vienna with that knowledge. Thank you for your offer to help.
    TerriB
  • Options
    Hi Beth,
    I thank you for your reply. My husband and I are usually independent travelers so this is new to us. We have taken only one bus tour before. On the ocean cruises that we've been on, we never do organized ship tours, but go off on our own. So you can understand that we are trying to make the most of our time.
    I appreciate your response. We are well aware that circumstances often dictate a change in plans and we have been disappointed a few times when itineraries have changed for reasons beyond our control, and we just go with the flow. This is our first tour where everything is handled for us and we are a bit behind the eight ball in trying to figure out how much spare time we will have in ports and what we will be able to do with it. We are trying not to carry many books with us and prepare ahead of time, but without some prior knowledge that is difficult.
    Anyway, we will go with the flow and I will not make waves--no pun intented!

I am sure we will have a great time and we will enjoy every minute of the trip. We are really looking forward to this trip.
    Terri
  • Options
    TerriB wrote:
    Hi Emily,
    In the description of the day in Vienna, it indicates that the morning consists of an overview of the city and the afternoon allows us to choose either the Schonbrunn or the Hofburg. My question for those who may have done this trip is whether there were any stops in the morning tour and what they were. I ask because we are spending three days prior to the cruise in Vienna and do not want to duplicate what Tauck will provide. I realize that nothing is written in stone and everything is subject to change depending on a variety of circumstances such as weather, river levels and what have you, but a general idea of what is covered would be nice so that we could plan our pre-cruise days in Vienna with that knowledge. Thank you for your offer to help.
    TerriB

Hi TerriB,

We will spend Day 4 of the tour in Vienna.

On this day, you will start the day with a local guide city sightseeing tour of Wien including Ring Blvd, Opera and Parliament house. After the tour with the local guide you will have the option of going to either Schönbrunn Palace or Hofburg Palace. After the palace visits, you are free to see Vienna on your own or return to for the boat for lunch.

If you choose to spend the afternoon in Vienna, the coach will drop you off at Albertina Museum at the Innere Stadt of Vienna. We will be providing shuttles to and from Albertina throughout the afternoon.

Later on in the evening will be our dinner at Palais Pallavicini.

Hope this helps. Please do not hesitate asking any questions on the forums, there is a great community of people here always willing to help and provide insight. There is always someone monitoring the forums as well, we try our best to get to every question.

-Emily

• Options
    Hi TerriB,

We will spend Day 4 of the tour in Vienna.

On this day, you will start the day with a local guide city sightseeing tour of Wien including Ring Blvd, Opera and Parliament house. After the tour with the local guide you will have the option of going to either Schönbrunn Palace or Hofburg Palace. After the palace visits, you are free to see Vienna on your own or return to for the boat for lunch.

If you choose to spend the afternoon in Vienna, the coach will drop you off at Albertina Museum at the Innere Stadt of Vienna. We will be providing shuttles to and from Albertina throughout the afternoon.

Later on in the evening will be our dinner at Palais Pallavicini.

Hope this helps. Please do not hesitate asking any questions on the forums, there is a great community of people here always willing to help and provide insight. There is always someone monitoring the forums as well, we try our best to get to every question.

-Emily
    Deear Emily,
    I really appreciate the time you took to find this out for me. It helps a great deal in planning the pre-cruise days we are planning on spending in Vienna. Thanks so much for getting the answers to my questions.
    Terri
This discussion has been closed.