Options

Day 12, up, up and away

Interested to hear of prior experiences, especially from anyone with fear of heights!

Comments

• Options
    Hi 57...Assuming you are referring to the hot air balloon ride, correct?

Sensational! Yes, I had reservations. I learned in the Army that heights had a negative effect on me, especially when asked to step out of a perfectly good aircraft. Even today I avoid balcony railings. I thought the hot air balloon would be the worst...but we went anyway. I had no problems whatsoever.

We had 8 in our gondola. No one said a word as we soared over the Maasai Mara at sunrise. All of us were in awe. Besides, there was no time to think about the height. The scenery was incredible. We flew over Maasai bomas just after first light when they were letting their domestic stock out of the kraals. A few seconds later, we were watching elephant, giraffe or lions that had no idea we were above them. It was so exciting.

I would do it again in a New York second. My wife and I recommend the balloon ride without reservation...Leo M
  • Options
    Just back from this tour, and balloon ride was amazing and very calm. think of the Nike slogan, just do it! Thank you for your words of encouragement.
  • Options
    There were several in our group who were very fearful of heights. After launching the balloon the ride up was peaceful and gentle and everyone did great! Much much easier than anticipated!
  • Options
    I'm not afraid of heights and I've been in a hot air balloon before. What scares me is the landing! Both of the blogs that I have read talk about coming down sideways, i.e. a rough landing. Any comments?
  • Options
    Hi Suellyn: We were visiting some friends this weekend when the subject of hot air balloon rides came up. One of the ladies expressed the same concern you had...landing. I thought of your Tauck posting which I had read just before we went out.

We had two balloons. Our balloon took off and landed first. My wife said she didn't remember that much about the landing. She did exactly as instructed by our pilot. She ducked down in our gondola compartment, shut her eyes and locked her arms around my waist. My recollection of the landing was one of sheer excitement. I didn't even remember Beth had latched onto me.

I crouched down but not so low I could not see. We landed "fairly softly" according to our pilot. We bounced once and were dragged on our side for a few feet. We scrambled out and dusted ourselves off...none the worse for wear. Then, we noticed our sister balloon had yet to touch down. Indeed, they were coming straight at us. Their pilot realized he should have put the balloon down sooner and quickly did so. They hit the ground much harder than we did but no one was hurt. The balloons ended up much closer together than either pilot would have preferred. It was exciting.

That has been our only experience in a balloon. I imagine every trip is different. Our pilot told us it was not unusual to cancel a flight due to excessive wind. We were fortunate in that respect. One thing I can tell you is that there is plenty of open space and no power lines when you balloon on the Maasai Mara. That's good!

Leo M.
  • Options
    Thanks Leo. Your answer is about what I expect. I guess I'll make up my mind the morning that we are going to "fly."
  • Options
    Last year my wife and I went on the balloon excursion (had to pay extra) in Australia. I'm afraid of heights but went anyway. Well, I'm still afraid of heights but plan on doing the Kenya balloon trip - if I die it will NOT be in my Lazy Boy! I doubt that I'll ever get over my fear of heights but OH what stories we all will have to tell.
    Best Regards, Heath W. from Sacramento. Trip beginning July 13
This discussion has been closed.