Week in Venice, Florence and Rome - July 7th

Any other solo travelers for this trip?

Comments

• Hi, we aren't solo but we are on the 7/7 departure with you. Less than two months and we are starting to get excited, how about you?
  • Yes, very excited! This is my first trip to Europe.
  • We're coming in to Venice a day early (from NY) to get over the jet lag and taking a wine and appetizer tour with a guide we found in the Rick Steves guidebook that night. Then Sunday morning we are using the same guide for a tour of Murano and Burano before the Tauck trip starts that night. If this trip is anywhere near as good as the other Taucks we've taken we are all in for treat!
  • We are taking the same tour in September. Could you tell me how I can get in touch with your guide?
  • AC12N wrote:
    Any other solo travelers for this trip?

Wow this could be awesome! That is a very fantastic idea! I would like to join it. It will be so nice experience. These places are amazing. Thanks for such wonderful information.
  • Hi Clinton, I'll get back to you with the contact info this weekend, I'm at work right now and don't have it with me. I'll try and copy and paste that page out of the guidebook as well.
  • Hi Clinton,

Here is the info on the guide for the wine & appetizer crawl (called a bacari -old time venetian bars- crawl where you eat appetizers or "cichetti" as they are called at 3 different locations, it's 2 hours hours and 30euro. His name is Alessandro and his contact email is alessandro@schezzini.it. The website is www.schezzini.it. The other one is a tour of Murano and Burano that he also runs that leaves in the mornings from right near our hotel. They sound like a fun little addition to the fantastic itinerary that Tauck has put together and a nice way to get acclimated to Venice if you are coming in early. Have a great trip!!
  • Less than two weeks away - I am getting so excited for this trip! I have also been in touch with Alessandro. Thank you for the contact info.

Angela
  • Please let us know how you enjoyed the Murano tour we are going in September and coming in early as well.
  • Hi P & M Day,
    We just returned from our trip, it was fantastic! If you get Giorgio for your Tour Director you are really in for a treat, he is one of the best TD's we've had (if not THE best!) and all the sights, hotels, everything was just wonderful.

Our extra excursion to Murano was very nice, we actually wound up waiting until after the tour had officially started (we didn't do it on our own.) At the Welcome Dinner we were talking with our tablemates & it turned out we all had an interest in seeing Murano so when we got back from the Welcome Dinner we asked the Concierge at the hotel about side trips to Murano & since we had a free afternoon after our tour of the Doges Palace the next morning we set it up for then. Six of us from our tour took a private water taxi set up by the Hotel Baglioni over to Murano, toured the glass factory (beware of the high pressure sales pitch!!), walked around the island, had a nice al fresco lunch and then the man at the factory called a water taxi to take us back to the Hotel Baglioni in plenty of time for the Godola Serenade that evening. It's a very nice, quiet little island after the crowds of Venice.

Since you are coming in early make sure you use the Concierge, they are really invaluable for dining recommendations/reservations/tours/etc....they know all and are happy to help.

Enjoy your trip!!!
  • Hi P & M Day,
    We just returned from our trip, it was fantastic! If you get Giorgio for your Tour Director you are really in for a treat, he is one of the best TD's we've had (if not THE best!) and all the sights, hotels, everything was just wonderful.

Our extra excursion to Murano was very nice, we actually wound up waiting until after the tour had officially started (we didn't do it on our own.) At the Welcome Dinner we were talking with our tablemates & it turned out we all had an interest in seeing Murano so when we got back from the Welcome Dinner we asked the Concierge at the hotel about side trips to Murano & since we had a free afternoon after our tour of the Doges Palace the next morning we set it up for then. Six of us from our tour took a private water taxi set up by the Hotel Baglioni over to Murano, toured the glass factory (beware of the high pressure sales pitch!!), walked around the island, had a nice al fresco lunch and then the man at the factory called a water taxi to take us back to the Hotel Baglioni in plenty of time for the Godola Serenade that evening. It's a very nice, quiet little island after the crowds of Venice.

Since you are coming in early make sure you use the Concierge, they are really invaluable for dining recommendations/reservations/tours/etc....they know all and are happy to help.

Enjoy your trip!!!
  • Thank you need2travel1 for the information. We emailed the Hotel Concierge and they are extremely helpful! I hope we have Giorgio as our guide. Glad you had a wonderful time! We are packing!
  • What a great report!! Thanks so much. We're looking forward to our tour.
  • We are on the Sept. 18th tour and this is great to read! Never been on a "tour" usually do our own thing so hearing such a positive review makes me less nervous! Thanks
  • We are going on the September 29 tour. We will also be arriving early so it is wonderful to hear some options. We are really excited!
    Has anyone been to Venice, Florence, or Rome in early October? What is the weather like? We're wondering about what to pack.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.