Exchanging Money recommendations????

Going on the June 6th Rhine and Moselle North trip. Arriving 1 day early and staying 1 day after. Being a novice.... Should I bring Swiss Francs and Euros with me? What is recommended? I know small stores on "free time" do not want to deal with Credit cards and Switzerland does not take Euros.

Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• You will probably get a better rate in Europe, so unless you plan to arrive on a Sunday and need cash immediately, I would wait until you arrive. Although I haven't confirmed this, Rick Steves claims you will get the best rate with your ATM card, especially for relatively small sums. Be sure to bring a (4-digit) PIN number with you (I learned the hard way that U.S. banks allow PIN numbers longer than 4 digits, but European banks don't). Also, it's a good idea to call your bank to let them know that you will be using your ATM card (and any credit cards) out of the country.
  • yes I agree you should wait till you get there and go to and ATM. You don't want too may swiss franks because you will not be there long.
  • Crackers,

It has been our experience to go to an ATM machine at the airport as soon as we arrive in that country. Not a money exchange as they charge more. As mentioned, let your bank know which countries you will be in and ask their rates. My bank allows three free withdrawals then charges $5. Each transaction after that. There has been talk about credit cards needing a chip in them to work in Europe, we never had a problem, but have not been to Switzerland. Perhaps your bank will know.
  • Sorry ---meant for dbmalone, not Crackers
  • I agree that using the ATM is the best way to obtain cash when traveling to another country, however I have also found that I like to start with a small amount of the currency that I will be using. Recently my local bank offers the service of obtaining foreign currency. The reason I like to start with a little is because sometimes the lines waiting at the airport ATMs are extremely long (and someone is picking you up) or the machine is not operating. I know that the service picking you up will wait but they probably have some type of schedule to keep also.
  • I know that Europe is "ahead" of the U.S. in installing RFID chips in credit cards, but I had not heard that such chips were required for use. My non-RFID cards worked fine in Switzerland last September. Of course, such cards won't work with readers that don't make physical contact with the the card, but I trust vendors to find a way to get my money.
  • I have always used my credit card in Europe with no problem except that a couple of years ago I went to a beauty parlor in a mall in Copenhagen and they couldn't accept a card without a chip.

I understand that more and more European stores are requiring chips. I am going on the Black Sea to Budapest riverboat in June and didn't want a problem, so I called my bank a week ago and they sent me a new card with a chip, same card number, same expiry date, etc. You can still use it here as you always have.

It probably wouldn't hurt to request one if your bank can accommodate.

Sue
This discussion has been closed.