Options

July 20 Tanzania Kenya classic tour

Could someone who has traveled to K&T in late July please comment on weather that time of year

Comments

• Options
    We took this fabulous trip last year at that time. The best advice is to layer. The mornings were always cool - 55 degrees. The afternoons would warm up to around 70 degrees. Early evenings the temperature would drop back down. I wore slacks the entire time but a few people did wear capris and a couple of hardy souls wore shorts but they were cold. I wore knit tops, summer weight sweater and then a light weight jacket. By mid-morning I removed the jacket but almost always kept the sweater on. In the early morning safaris, it was a bit cooler because the top is open on the vehicle so you can see the animals. It was very cold the morning of the hot air balloon ride and some well-prepared people had gloves and hats. Slip-on shoes are really helpful because they ask you to take your shoes off if you want to stand on the seats in the vehicle. There is very little walking. A hat with a chin strap is definitely needed.

If I knew what I know now, I would have packed much lighter. It was very dusty. Laundry service is very good and very reasonable.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Thank you so much loves 2travel2. Your response was very helpful. I have also been wondering about eating fresh fruits and vegetables. A friend was told by her travel physician to eat only food which had been cooked prior to her trip to K&T last year (not Tauck). What was your experience?
    Also, did the hotel outlets require plug adapters and/or voltage regulators/adapters?
    Really getting excited about our trip and appreciate your help
  • Options
    The lodges are incredible. I ate the fresh fruit (both usual and exotic to me) and vegetables without any problems. I think that advice is probably accurate if someone is on a "roughing it" type of trip - which this isn't! The only place I was skittish about eating was at the Nairobi airport so we didn't eat. (I did pack Imodium, Pepto and prescription Cipro in case of a problem but didn't need it.)

If your electrics are not dual voltage you will need a voltage converter. Plug adapters are needed. Some people borrowed them from the lodges but I don't know how many they have to lend.

Here's a couple of pieces of unsolicited advice :) I am not an amateur photographer by any stretch of the imagination. In our other travels I have always used a Nikon point and shoot camera with a 10X optical zoom. On the trip advisor boards for Kenya and Tanzania posters constantly recommended a camera with a super zoom or fancy SLR's with super zoom lenses. I bought a Nikon point and shoot with a 36X optical zoom. Although some animals are unbelievably close, many times something was really interesting but was further away. My camera (not me !) was able to get fantastic shots. And, since the animals may not "pose" for a picture, a fast camera is good. The people on the trip without super zoom cameras were very disappointed. I took over 1000 photos and a lot of really neat action videos.

I would also highly recommend a good pair of binoculars.

I always plan to keep a diary - never do. One of the ladies on the trip used the itinerary booklet you get on the first day. She would jot down the animals etc. as she saw them. (you'll start skipping writing down zebras!) I wish I would have done that.

I'm not sure why Tauck listed me as an expert - I'm certainly not but I'm glad to share my experience on this trip, so feel free to ask any questions.
  • Options
    Again very helpful suggestions and very appreciated! You said you would have packed lighter. Why do you say that? And what would you have brought?
  • Options
    Hi again.

When I do this trip again - notice I didn't say "if"- that's because it is so wonderful - I would pack much lighter. I always over pack because of the "what-ifs". This is what I would pack - 6 long or 3/4 sleeve tops, 2 summer weight sweater cardigans, 4 pairs of khaki/beige slacks , 1 jacket with multiple pockets, hat with a chin strap, and a couple of fashion scarves just because! I would pack 2 outfits that were not "safari casual" - not dressy - more like country club casual. I got very tired of wearing beige/khaki/green and several of the lodges are so incredible I would have preferred to change into something nicer for the evening. This is strictly a personal perspective because it isn't necessary or suggested by Tauck. I would pack 1 pair of closed toe slip on shoes - mine were Privos and 1 pair of sandals to wear at night. The closed toe is important because you could be walking in higher grass and in some cases stepping over animal do-do. I did laundry at the Serengeti Lodge and the Mt Kenya Lodge because even though I had a ton of clothes - I kept wearing the top/sweater/jacket trio. It was very dusty in some places.

We didn't experience any serious bug problems and in my paranoia I had packed enough repellant to supply an army - I left it for the housekeeping staff. I would suggest packing some but you don't need to get carried away. I packed a small bottle of sunscreen.

I did carry a little "bathroom bag" that had tissue and hand sanitizer so I was always prepared when there were restroom stops - several of which are very very rustic. I am pretty prissy so this was the only thing I disliked about the trip.

The lodges are all pretty remote so there isn't a Walgreens nearby for forgotten toiletries and the shop in the lodge is very limited.

I'm a shopper so if you're interested in my take on the souvenir/purchases etc I'd be glad to share.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Tell me more about foot wear. Is there any need for hiking boots or sturdy sneakers? Are there any opportunities for hiking or long walks?
  • Options
    Loves2travel2

It's a long way off, but we are taking this trip July 2014. Have been gathering all the wonderful tips posted. My question is about converters and plugs. In Europe I have only needed the adaptor plugs for my iPad and camera recharging. Will this work on this trip or do I need a converter as well?
    Thanks
    Francesca
  • Options
    Hi svh925 and Francesca,

The Mount Kenya lodge is a large beautiful property that you can walk all around the grounds. They have horseback riding, a free birding walk (which we did) and you can even take the resident dogs for a walk. The Amboseli offered guided nature walks. Hiking boots are not at all necessary. For the most part, at the other lodges you can only wander around the actual lodge. There really isn't a lot of walking - other than to your room. I didn't take my walking athletic shoes so I wore my privos street sneakers and they were fine.

If your electrics are not dual-voltage (most are nowadays) then you will need a voltage converter. Regardless, you have to have a plug adaptor.

Hope this helps!

• Options
    Hi again.

When I do this trip again - notice I didn't say "if"- that's because it is so wonderful - I would pack much lighter. I always over pack because of the "what-ifs". This is what I would pack - 6 long or 3/4 sleeve tops, 2 summer weight sweater cardigans, 4 pairs of khaki/beige slacks , 1 jacket with multiple pockets, hat with a chin strap, and a couple of fashion scarves just because! I would pack 2 outfits that were not "safari casual" - not dressy - more like country club casual. I got very tired of wearing beige/khaki/green and several of the lodges are so incredible I would have preferred to change into something nicer for the evening. This is strictly a personal perspective because it isn't necessary or suggested by Tauck. I would pack 1 pair of closed toe slip on shoes - mine were Privos and 1 pair of sandals to wear at night. The closed toe is important because you could be walking in higher grass and in some cases stepping over animal do-do. I did laundry at the Serengeti Lodge and the Mt Kenya Lodge because even though I had a ton of clothes - I kept wearing the top/sweater/jacket trio. It was very dusty in some places.

We didn't experience any serious bug problems and in my paranoia I had packed enough repellant to supply an army - I left it for the housekeeping staff. I would suggest packing some but you don't need to get carried away. I packed a small bottle of sunscreen.

I did carry a little "bathroom bag" that had tissue and hand sanitizer so I was always prepared when there were restroom stops - several of which are very very rustic. I am pretty prissy so this was the only thing I disliked about the trip.

The lodges are all pretty remote so there isn't a Walgreens nearby for forgotten toiletries and the shop in the lodge is very limited.

I'm a shopper so if you're interested in my take on the souvenir/purchases etc I'd be glad to share.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Thanks again! I would be interested in your take on shopping/souvenir ...and if you used American dollars to buy them. Your help is very appreciated...
  • Options
    Hi Malainva,

Other than the selection in the lodge gift shops there isn't a lot of shopping. All of the gift shops have pretty much the same thing.

We used US dollars everywhere - be sure to have $1's and 5"s for trinket buying if you are inclined. At the border crossing you are literally accosted by women selling beaded bracelets and necklaces - I mean they actually are thrusting them through the windows of the vehicle! They are colorful and fun souvenirs for a couple of bucks and are more expensive in the gift shops.

At the beginning of the trip we did stop at a very large shop that featured a lot of wooden items. Our guide said that it will be the only shopping stop. Had I realized just how accurate that comment was, I probably would have picked up a few more things. I especially like the wooden bowls with inlaid cow bone. You will also see a lot of small bowls with painted African animals. I bought a package of assorted animal wooded spoons and divided them and gave away a bowl and spoon for nuts to nuts :)

I thought the best prices were at the Amboseli Serena Lodge. They had the Kazuri bead necklaces that I was looking for - they are supposedly hand-painted by widows of the Aids epidemic. The Mount Kenya Safari Club's gift shop was nice - they had an assortment of shirts for men and women with their logo. The shop at the Spinners & Weavers was very nice. It had placemats, rugs and gorgeous shawls that the women actually made. They weren't inexpensive.

The one small shop at an airstrip (can't recall but it had a big deck and snack bar) the guide gave us extra time there because she said it's really nice. Everyone bought - they had beautiful hand painted tablecloths, handbags, belts.

The trip to the Massai Village is quite an experience and great fun. After all the demonstrations, you walk around the corner and you're at the "Massai Mall" - that's what my husband called it. And, they too take American dollars.

At the end of the trip, if you are having shopping withdrawal, the Nairobi Serena Hotel that is your day room has a really nice gift shop.

Other than trinket souvenirs, if you see something you like buy it when you see it.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Hi All...I'm not a great shopper but I did learn a few lessons during the Tauck trip.

I have a collection of African weapons...spears, bows /arrows, machetes, even an antique black powder carrier. One thing I did not have was a knobkerrie. That is a carved stick with a large knob at the end. These are popular in many places in south and east Africa. They are often carried by the Maasai. I found such a weapon in the middle of the Maasai Mara after our hot air balloon ride. I bought it from a Maasai warrior. In a thoughtless moment, I placed it in my carry on luggage for the flight home. It was taken away from me as any knife or metal weapon would have been. Bad idea on my part!

We also purchased several ornamental leather and beaded Maasai necklaces. Very, very attractive. May I suggest you give the nose test to any leather products you are considering for purchase. If the item smells unpleasant, the chances are very good that the leather was improperly or insufficiently tanned. Believe me, the smell will not improve over time. I have had our two necklaces hanging in an outside storeroom for 16 months. My hopes they could eventually be brought inside are fading.

In our defense, we did become more aware of the tanning issue after that day in the Mara. We now have a very nice collection of these beautifully decorative bead work items. A quick, discrete sniff will keep this from happening to you...Leo M
This discussion has been closed.