Sept. 7 Warsaw to Prague

My husband and I have just signed up for this tour. We are anxious to connect with others who will be joining us. This is our first Tauck tour and we are truly looking forward to it. We are arriving one day early in Warsaw and staying an extra day in Prague at the end.

Comments

• We leave on this trip on May 9 and are also planning an extra day in Warsaw and an extra day in Prague. This will be our third Tauck trip and I can assure you that you will have a great time. Will let you know more when we return.
  • Thanks shescha! I will eagerly await any handy hints that you have.
  • Steppiemum wrote:
    Thanks shescha! I will eagerly await any handy hints that you have.

We had a fabulous trip and fortunately completed our itinerary just before the rains and floods started. Tauck keeps you pretty busy and there is really nothing lacking in their schedule. If you arrive before your trip it would be fun to just walk around Warsaw. We went to the newly built Jewish museum on our own. Although it is a beautiful building none of the exhibits are open and actually our Tauck director was able to get the group a peek inside on the day we visited the ghetto and Warsaw uprising monuments. We didn't tour the castle in old town, but another member of our group did and really enjoyed it. Everything you could ask for is a very short walk from your beautiful hotel.

In Krakow, our tour director was able to arrange for a private Klezmer concert at Rubinsteins restaurant in the Jewish section. We had arranged to do this on our own, but it was so much nicer with the group and the provided transportation. There was a minimal charge to the participants, but is was the same as if we had done this alone. We did not have to dine at the restaurant but simply arranged for a earlier dinner at our Tauck hotel.

All of the cities you visit are wonderful to walk around, and that is really the best way to see everything. In Budapest we loved attending the (optional) Hungarian folk dance concert and were only minimally impressed by the restaurant suggested for Hungarian gypsy music.

In Vienna, we spent some of our free time visiting the Belvedere which is a long walk or a short tram ride from your hotel. There are beautiful gardens and some lovely Klimdt paintings.

Prague is a great city with fabulous architecture and zillions of touristy shops in old town. Hopefully the areas around Charles bridge will have recovered from the floods and you can walk around. We enjoyed a short boat ride (from the foot of the bridge) that gives you a slightly different perspective than your walking tours. It leaves from Judith pier and is NOT one of the tours than offers dinner. All in all have a great time.

All of these cities are filled with venues that offer art and music. If you enjoy these, make the effort to see/hear
    as many as you can.
  • Although we had rainy and cold days the tour was fantastic. Blake was a fantastic tour guide. He is very knowledgeable. It was a very fast paced tour and we were all exhausted by Prague.., but we got it all in...and that's what counts.

If you have a free day in Warsaw, and you would like to go to Synagogue. we did a Jewish Heritage tour in the Ghetto and then we were dropped off at the Reform Temple. They were very friendly and the tunes and Hebrew are what you are used to (Not so much the polish!!)then we had a Shabbat dinner with them...Wonderful experience...Ask for Marta in tours by locals...(Online)
  • Dear Shescha and Anne,

Thanks for your posts! I have a couple of questions. We're you on a small group tour (we will be). I'm curious about:

1. what type of bus was used for traveling?

2. What time did the bus depart on traveling days?

3. What time did touring start on non-traveling days?

I'm basically curious about the schedule and transport. I know it will all be amazing.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Chris
  • Steppiemum wrote:
    Dear Shescha and Anne,

Thanks for your posts! I have a couple of questions. We're you on a small group tour (we will be). I'm curious about:

1. what type of bus was used for traveling?

2. What time did the bus depart on traveling days?

3. What time did touring start on non-traveling days?

I'm basically curious about the schedule and transport. I know it will all be amazing.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Chris

The bus usually left at 8:30 or 9. This is not a tour where you get to sleep late (unless you want to miss something).

Our bus seated 40+ and with a full tour almost every seat was taken. Tauck has a wonderful system of assigning seats the first day, and then EVERYONE must change according to a posted rotation, either 2 up, or 2 back. By the end of the tour you will have been in all the seat locations. Of course, if there is a medical reason why you must occupy a special location, that is given first priority. The bus is airconditioned, comfortable and has a restroom on board. It is even specially decorated with the Tauck logo and local scenery. You can't possibly miss it.
This discussion has been closed.