Blue Danube travelers -June 13

My wife and I will be celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary on the June 13 Blue Danube trip. Hope to hear from others who will be on the same trip. We will arrive a day early, June 12, in Prague, staying at the Marriott.

Comments

• Happy anniversary! My husband and I are coming on the cruise with my parents. We are looking forward to meeting you and helping you celebrate.
  • JenEagle,
    That sounds great! See you there.
  • We will be there celebrating our 29th anniversary if the river doesn't rise too much. Is everyone else watching the flooding progress?
  • Check with Tauck because the West bound river cruise was just cut short because of flooding.
  • Hi Everyone,

The situation with river levels is very fluid, as levels rise and drop quickly. We are continuing to monitor all other tours operating in the area’s affected by the high waters. We are assessing the full scope of the impact of the rivers to any of our itineraries and will we will provide updates as needed.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Thanks Emily. What happens if the cruise needs to be cancelled due to flooding? Is the trip rescheduled or the money refunded? Is it possible to travel to a different destination? We are scheduled to leave on June 12th and starting to get pretty nervous. It does not look like the rain is going to stop soon.
  • Hi JenEagle,

As of this morning there is good news coming out of Europe, the rains have stopped and water is starting to recede. However, we are monitoring the situation hour by hour.

We have someone from the home office on the ground in Europe and they will be providing an update as to the situation. Be assured, we will do right the right thing.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Greetings from sunny Richmond, Virginia. We are also planning to join the Danube cruise. I must admit that the Wall Street Journal article this morning was not as encouraging. Their report is that the flooding is not expected to crest until next Tuesday! the day we fly into Prague. They posted a picture of Passau which is currently under water. Sounds like we will need a lot of good luck to accomplish our goal. Thank you for keeping us up to date.
  • I took this trip a few years ago from Budapest to Prague and we had to stop outside Passau do to high waters and not being able to get under the bridge. They bussed us into Passau for the day and the next morning bussed us to the final stop before on to Prague.

Trust me if they go forward with the trip they will have alternative plans if you are willing.
  • edited June 2013
    My wife and I are scheduled for the June 13th Blue Danube cruise. This would be our seventh trip with Tauck, and each trip has been better than the last. We've been looking forward to the Blue Danube for six months. That being said, I'm a bit reluctant to travel from city to city, all of which have been affected by a natural disaster, just a week after the natural disaster has occurred. For example, news reports about Passau indicate that the old town has been "inundated" with flood waters - a photograph showed flood waters up to the hanging sign on one specific restaurant. Also, an article in the Boston Globe today reported that Prague shut down their sewage treatment plant and is releasing sewage into the river. It seems to me that it will take the region more than a week or two to recover, even if the rivers subside.
This discussion has been closed.