Options

May 18, 2013 Tour - Suggestion on SLR Lens?

Hello - Doing the 5/18/13 tour and was going to buy a new lens for my Cannon Rebel SLR - any suggestions? I was thinking I need something that goes up to 300mm. Thoughts?!? These lens are super expensive and just want to ensure I get the right ones based on the average distance between us and the animals.

Second question - How much is laundry at these hotels? They do it by the garment or by weight?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    I haven't been to Africa, but on all trips I take my Tamron 28-300 with my Canon 60D. It's so convenient to carry just this one lens.

Be sure to get the model with VC (vibration control). It goes for just over $600. I would recommend only purchasing from an authorized dealer.
  • Options
    Hi,
    if this is the only time you will be needing a 300 mm lens, perhaps you should consider renting the lens for the length of the trip. I made the Tanzania trip three years ago and rented a long telephoto lens. We are taking the Kenya/Tanzania trip this June and I have rented a longer lens.
    sl34725
  • Options
    Canon makes a 70-300 lens that should work very well. I have used this for wildlife photography in Costa Rica, Yellowstone, the Salmon River and Belize. It is available thru B&H photo for $650. http://www.bhphotovideo.com. They usually have close to the best prices, are reputable and usually ship for free. I would recommend the genuine Canon product that costs a little more so you will rest assured it will work seamlessly with the body. I agree that the image stabilization is a must. These lenses will have an "IS" in their name. Try to get your hands on it in time to practice a little before you are "in the moment." I looked into renting lenses, but, from what I could find, the daily fee for a 2+ week trip made it economically unfeasible.

Can't help on the laundry issue, I'm afraid. Have great time and I would appreciate it if you would post any photo tips after you get back before I go on my trip 6/15!
  • Options
    1st question: You get real close and personal to the animals but with the lense you are talking about, you will get some spectacular close-ups! Also, be sure the Jeep is off and not on idle. Usually the drivers will turn off the engine. And use a bean bag for extra stabilization. Sometimes the vehicle will have but you can get at most camera stores.

2nd question: The hotels usually charge by the piece/type of clothing. The cost is really no different than any hotel.

Hope all this helps.
  • Options
    The reason I bought the 28-300mm lens as opposed to the 70-300mm lens is the versatility of it. When traveling, I usually take only that lens and it serves very well for both "near and "far" photos.
  • Options
    Does anyone have experience with a gorillapod (w/ ballhead) on this type of trip? I am hoping for a roll-bar or something similar on the jeep to attach it to.

Also, I worry that the dust levels in the open jeep will discouage changing lens on the DSLR in the field.
This discussion has been closed.