Classic Italy

My wife and I are taking the Classic Italy tour in September. I have heard conflicting reports regarding Murano. Is it worth our time going there? Is the glass overpriced ? I do not want to go to Murano and discover it is very touristy - If this is true I would rather spend my day exploring Venice. Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• In Rick Steves travel book he says there is a glass blower in town you can go to. If you go to Murano they might not wait for you to go back and you have to find your own way back. I am on the Sept. 4th tour. Which one are you one?
  • We are two weeks after you -on the September 18 tour. Thank you for you reply.
  • In Rick Steves book on Venice he says 80% of tourists only see 20% of Venice. He says explore outside of the tourist area to see the real Venice.
  • Murano is a great way to escape the crowds of Venice during the day and far fewer tourists. Yes, there is a glass blower near the Piazza San Marco (Tauck included the tour and glass blowing demonstration in our tour). Much of the glass in Venice and Murano is actually made in China. Be sure you know what you are buying and look for the genuine Murano glass stickers. Real Murano glass is not cheap. We bought a small vase - about 5" h x 3" w for approx $40 euros.
This discussion has been closed.