Options

Pollution in China

My wife and I would like to take this trip but are concerned about the air pollution, especially in Bejing. We would appreciate any and all feedback

Comments

• Options
    We are on the China trip in 2 weeks. Air pollution is bad now. Does Tauck inform the tour group on the pollution levels and precautions that should be taken? Also do the buses have filtered air that traps the particulate pollutants?
  • Options
    Hi There,

Normally, the air quality is worse during winter months and usually by springtime it is a lot better. I am waiting to hear back from the Tour Manager to see if the buses have air filters.

Best,
    Emily
  • Options
    We just returned from this tour. In Beijing and some other big cities my eyes felt gritty and my face dirty after spending all day outside, but overall the air quality was reasonable. Only a smattering of local people wore masks, and those mostly commuters traveling on or near the roads with heavy traffic. Our tour director reported on the air quality, and I am sure you would be kept informed. The air along the Yangtze cruise was exceptionally fresh. I had a mask that I never used . . . well, except for one time in an airport, where people were smoking, and that was primarily to make myself feel better about being in cigarette smoke.
  • Options
    boomerangix

Thanks for your reply. The US Embassy posts round the clock updates of the air quality. It was listed as unhealthy most days during the past three weeks. Today it is good. Is their much smoking in restaurants?
  • Options
    We encountered zero smoking in restaurants and hotels. Sometimes we would walk past people in the street smoking. Most airports were completely smoke-free. We got a little lucky in Beijing, as our tour started just after a huge downpour that cleared out the air. If you think you will be sensitive to the air quality, it would be prudent to bring some masks just in case. Our group had a number of people prepared with masks, but most of them went unused.
This discussion has been closed.