Options

Bruges

I noticed that Bruge has been eliminated in 2014. Is there anyway to see this city ie.going to Bruge instead of Ypres on my own?

Comments

• Options
    I am doing this tour next month and this year, there was a choice of Bruges or Ghent. Since I wanted to see both, I am going out early and taking a day tour from Brussels to Bruges. Since the tour next year starts in Brussels, that might be what you will need to do since Tauck's tour isn't going there.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    I am going from Amsterdam to Brussels and am checking into going to Bruges from Antwerp. The train is only an hour or so, and then you can walk around on your own or take a guided tour. My Dutch friend said a canal cruise is a must. I will let you know what I find out from Tauck about our docked time.
  • Options
    I am going NEXT April but starting in Amsterdam. The tour ends with a night in Brussels. I am thinking about adding another night in Brussels and taking a side trip to Bruge for the day. Does anyone know if this is a reasonable thing to do ? Also, since we start in Amsterdam, I plan on getting a round trip flight into and out of Schipol. Is it also reasonable to take a train back to Amsterdam from Brussels once the Tauck tour is over ?
    Thanks for any hints and suggestions... first time river cruiser !
  • Options
    Cookback, we went to Brussels on our own a few years ago (no organized tour) and took a day trip to Bruge. It was very easy to do by train. The train station is a 5-7 minute walk from your hotel. I believe that there are trains to Amsterdam as well but I am not sure of those details. Our train trips from Brussels were to Bruge, Antwerp and Ghent. However, in Brussels you are staying at the Hotel Amigo. We found that hotel to have the best Concierge staff of anywhere we have ever stayed (and we travel a lot). I am sure that if you email the hotel Concierge, he will be able to give you more detailed information.
  • Options
    djm wrote:
    I noticed that Bruge has been eliminated in 2014. Is there anyway to see this city ie.going to Bruge instead of Ypres on my own?
    If, as others suggest, you go in a day early to Brussels , Viator offers a full day tour that will take you to both Bruges and Ghent. The tour leaves from the square near your hotel. If you are in Brussels, it would be a shame to miss Bruges.
    We have taken this tour and it is excellent.
    John
  • Options
    Don't forget if you are doing a round trip to Amsterdam you will be traveling on the train with possibly a big suitcase. obviously I do not know your physical ability, or whether you pack light, to be happy to do that. Amsterdam airport is also huge!
  • Options

We are book for April of 2022. I'd like more details about what we do in Bruges - particularly if we are able to see the Bruges Madonna? Thanks!

• Options

candy_habich
    10:55AM
    We are book for April of 2022. I'd like more details about what we do in Bruges - particularly if we are able to see the Bruges Madonna? Thanks!

This is a very old thread (8 years old.) Except for British, none of the other participants in this thread have been active on the forum for over two years, most even longer. Hopefully a few active forum members will weigh in.

• Options
    edited October 2021

I would be very surprised if the walking tour didn't go to see the Madonna. The historic section of the town is very compact and the Madonna is high on the list of things to see. Judging by the itinerary that suggests climbing the bell tower, it sounds like you'll have some free time. So even if it's not on the walking tour, you should be able to see it. Be aware that it's a small-ish statue and (at least when I was last there) you aren't allow to get close to it.

If you like art, the Groeninge Museum is definitely worth a visit if you have time. Not very large, but world class paintings.

• Options

You just have to watch the movie ‘In Bruges’ with Colin Farrell!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file