Options

DO NOT FORGET

My husband and I just returned from our wonderful, fantastic trip to Kenya and Tanzania. Departed Feb 2 2013.
It exceeded our expectations in every way. We did not have this problem, but some people did.
DO NOT FORGET YOUR CORDS. You will need the large three prong adaptor everywhere. And your converter to plug in you cords to charge your camera batteries, and laptop in your room. We just unplugged a lamp a charged our stuff while we at dinner. Also take one of those small plug addapters to make a three prong to a two prong plug. We saw the big 5 in the first 2 days. If you are thinking about going on this trip. Go, do it now.
Debbie

Comments

• Options
    how was the weather at that kind of year?
  • Options
    The weather was great. We needed a fleece in the morning and evenings when we were at higher altitudes. We dressed in layers, because the afternoon temperatures reached the mid to high 80's. It was not uncomfortable, but we were glad to see a few clouds to give some relief from the sun ( you are on the equator). It never rained.
    Debbie
  • Options
    Hi There!

I'm traveling on the May 19th trip. Could you tell me if you felt this was a "first class" experience? I only ask the question as all the accommodations we're paying for (e.g., Fairmount, etc.) appear to be in alignment with five star hotels and the like (which is typically how I choose to travel); however, I just wanted to get an objective point of view? Just given the amount of money this is costing, I'm really expecting like very high service, accommodations, etc.

From a vehicle perspective, did you find the trucks to be clean, well maintained, smelling good, etc.? Again, for the amount of money this trip cost, I'm hoping we don't have a beat up 1987 toyota with the shocks missing and no air conditioning when it's 100 degrees outside.

Sorry if this sounds a bit forward, but just really want to ensure my expectations are in alignment with the type of service, accommodations, etc. that I understood it to be.

I very much appreciate your feedback!!
  • Options
    Hi sm1218...I've read your post several times because I was trying to understand exactly what you were asking. I certainly don't think your post was "forward". To the contrary, I sense you have not been on safari before and are unsure what to expect. My wife and I took this safari a year ago. Like Debbie, Crackers and many others who post their impressions on the Tauck Forum, we loved ever minute of our Tauck safari. It was my wife's first trip to Africa. She loved it so much we returned in October 2012; are leaving next week for our third trip; will return in June for our fourth trip; and are in the planning stage of a fifth trip next January.

That said...we love Africa, its wildlife. and its people. We are particularly enamored with Africa's pace of life. The people take time to enjoy life and they share that enjoyment with us...and you. But, by definition, a safari on the African savannah is not a limosene tour of downtown London or Vatican City. The roads can be bumpy and dusty. The pay back comes from the incredible scenery and wildlife that you see.

Our safari vehicles were less than 2 years old. Our guides did everything possible to keep them clean, comfortable and well stocked with bottled water for us. I never heard any of our party complain for there was nothing to complain about. I honestly don't know if the vehicles had A/C. We never wanted or needed it if they did.

The hotels were excellent. The food was even better. We have not had such wonderful fruit and vegetables in the U.S. since the 1950s. I ate their incredible tomatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The trip was simply wonderful. And that is the secret...if you need something all you have to do is ask. Your Tour Director will help you. If you wish more detail on our experience, our blog can be found at:

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/leomcyr/1/1326885220/pod.html

Best regards, Leo M
  • Options
    Hi Leo,

Thanks very much for your feedback. You are correct, this will be my first experience in Africa and a bit outside my comfort zone. I appreciate your candid feedback, sounds like you had a wonderful experience and the tour operator made the experience as first class as possible (given the locations/circumstances). I have sailed on 50+ crusies around the world and have typically traveled in that fashion; so as you can appreicate this type of adventure will be very different for me. I just wanted to ensure that things are clean (accomodations), food is good, service is good and overall safety is a priority. I will look through your blog, I appreciate your help and feedback. Thank you again!
  • Options
    Leo,
    We have gone to Australia/NZ with Tauck and believe they are the best out there for service, quality, and caring. We have had friends go on other tours to Africa, including A&K and it sounds like Tauck offers the best of everything. So, our next adventure will be Kenya and Tanzania.

Our dilemna for this trip is WHEN to go. Sounds like you've been in all seasons, correct? What is the best time to go for: seeing the animals; weather, lack of rain and moderate temperatures?

Thanks!
  • Options
    February was a great time to go. It is between the small rains and the big rains. We saw all the animals. It was not too hot. The jeeps do not have air conditioning, the roofs have to be open to take pictures.
    As for the hotels, the Bililia is now a Four Seasons Resort, great pool, bread, and desserts. The Mt. Kenya Safari Club was outstanding also. Even the tents were great, at Masi Mara.
    Everything that Tauck has control of, they do right, even the portable potty for sundowners and at the end of the ballon ride.
  • Options
    CL and DL: Sorry for the delay in responding. We just returned from Egypt and Israel last night and I just saw your Forum posting.

I agree with your assessment of Tauck. Not only did they do an excellent job for us on safari, they are not afraid to let us rate their performance openly and honestly through the Forum. I'm only in my second year of retirement travel but I have yet to experience another company which has exceeded Tauck's excellence of service, integrity and willingness to listen to honest feedback from their customers.

I have been on safari in January / February and in October / November. This year we will add June / July to that list. We will also be farther south this June. Our research indicates we can expect temperatures close to freezing during early morning game drives. I don't mean to sound cavalier but the weather is not a priority for us. Our only interest is game viewing.

However, to answer your question in our still limited experience, the best weather we encountered was January / February. October was very hot but the game viewing was excellent.

There's just never a bad time to be on safari in my mind....Leo M
This discussion has been closed.