Options

limited mobility cruiser on a river cruise?

For someone with some mobility issues : Slow walker, long distances without stopping, walking up/down steep inclines and lengthy stairs would a river cruise not be considered. We have been looking at the Amsterdam / Budapest or reverse cruise but get mixes messages when reading reviews etc that we would not enjoy this type of cruise due to our mobility issue. We understand there are restrictions that are out of our hands due to the mode of travel, geographical locations and architecture but willing to give and take.

For those who have been on a river cruise, have you encountered any other cruisers that used a wheelchair? We are most concerned with using a wheelchair for the excursions where one could be used. Would a wheelchair that's foldable be able to be loaded on to the busses that are used at the various ports that are visited?

We would appreciate any advice you can offer that would help us to make a decision if a river cruise would be right for us.

Comments

• Options
    On the full itinerary page for the Amsterdam to Budapest river cruise it is stated that "We regret that this Tauck itinerary cannot accommodate wheelchairs or motorized scooters."

http://www.tauckworlddiscovery.com/tours/europe-tours/central-and-eastern-europe-tours/rhine-cruise-ras-2013.aspx?print=true
  • Options
    The is a lot you would not be able to do on the tours but if you are ok with that then have to figure what you can and can't do. There is elevator on the boat.

The problem is in Europe in the small cities they are not exactly limited mobility friendly. Lots of hills and cobble stones and old buildings not easy access if you have walking issues.

I have been on 2 cruises and those on the tours that had problems had to understand they could not do all the tours; especially the walking tours.

I would call Tauck with your concerns. I know their were several people disappointed on the River Boat Tours that did not realize there was so much they would not be able to do.
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,

I remember a discussion last year on just this topic. A chap was discussing how his wife (with mobility issues) coped with a river cruise. I just did a quick search, but couldn't find it.

The gist of the discussion was that they coped well, as a team working together. (I'm sure most people in this situation work as a very well-oiled team.) They might have tackled a few things a little differently from the more able-bodied travellers ... but keep in mind cobble stones can be hard going for anyone. You know, I have seen lots of people with intermittent mobility issues, including myself. The problems arise when people tackle things beyond their abilities. Oddly enough, most travellers aren't related to Superman/woman!

Perhaps someone else will have more luck in finding that discussion, but I remember it as being very positive. And do contact Tauck directly to discuss you particular issues. Perhaps Emily would be able to do a Power Search!

I'm sending out positive, and realistic, vibes!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    The post that jdurkin mentioned is listed on the Blue Danube Forum. It is the last post on the first page, but may now be on the second page. I hope that this helps.

Bev
This discussion has been closed.