Options

Internet & Chargers for cell phones, tablets, laptops

I am afraid to ask for the snears that i will get but I would like to know what type of plugs will be onboard. Will we need an adaptor. Will we be able to charge our cell phones and other gadgets. We use our small tablet as our camera, alarm clock, email, reading and Maping.

Comments

• Options
    We were there in 2010 aqnd as I recall you have to have a plug adapter. I suggest you get a universal unit from most travel stores. They are cheap and then you have one for anywhere you travel. Charging was not an issue for any of our equipment just check that the chargers for you items say "100-240 volt".
    Gary
  • Options
    On the Swiis Jewel there are two voltage recepticals in the cabins. One is 110 volt and the other 220 volts. If you purchase an "adapter" make sure it is a voltage regulator that allows 110 to be changed from 220 (230)current. An adapter will only change the format of the plug itself to fir the outlet. Some electronic devices already are set up for either current just check with your specific item. Also Rick Steves offers travel accessories like those on his web sight. Have a wonderful cruise.
  • Options
    Take a look at Need to Know - Preparing to go, for the Danube trips on the Tauck website:

Electrical Current – Each riverboat cabin has one 110 V outlet to accommodate U.S. standard plugs. All other outlets are 220 V, 50 Hz, alternating electrical current that accommodate standard European plugs with two round prongs. To use these outlets you may need to bring the appropriate adapters and converters. The riverboat has a few adapters available for rent.

You will need an adapter to attach to your flat plug so you can connect to the outlet which wants two round plugs. Bring a couple of adapters in case someone needs one all the time for her curling iron. (Personal experience!!)

The converter (or transformer) will transform the ship's 220 volts to 110 volts for your devices. The US runs on 60 Hz. The ship runs on 50 Hz (cycles). That won't be a problem.

Many of newer battery chargers, tablets, etc. can take 220 volts directly. Look on the nameplate of the device to see if it is rated 110 - 220 volts. If not, you need to use the converter (transformer).

You will have a great time on these riverboats.
  • Options
    Are you saying that the one 110 outlet in the cabin will allow me to use my regular 110 curling iron from the US? Or do I need to buy one that is 220? Also, do I need an adapter? Are there hairdryers in the cabin, and in the hotels?
  • Options
    We did French Waterways this past year. Tauck's riverboats have hairdryers in each cabin. You should be able to use your curling iron in the 110 outlet. We took with us several adapters and a european outlet strip (all purchased inexpensively on eBay). Almost all devices that you would take are dual voltage, and only an adapter (not a converter) would be needed.
  • Options
    My wife’s curling iron only draws 16 watts. The 110 v outlet handled it without a problem. I don’t remember the location of that outlet. You may want to use the 220 v outlet with converter (transformer) and adapter to get close to a mirror. The only issue I have with the boat is that there is not enough lighting in the room. We will be on our fourth Tauck cruise (Rhone River) in September. I made a note to bring along a short extension cord to get better access to mirrors, etc.

If you are like us, it seems like we are charging batteries on my camera and iPad, shaving, and using the curling iron all at the same time. We bring three adapters.

Check your devices at home before you go to determine if you need a converter (transformer). The hotel may not have a 110 v outlet.

You will always need adapters.
  • Options
    Does the 110 v handle the chargers for electronic devices such as laptops, batteries, etc?

I thought I read someplace that it was for 'shavers', which made me wonder if it would be suitable for any US electronic device that needs charging?

Many thanks in advance for your help.
    Debbie
  • Options
    There is no issue with adapters and most modern devices that will convert to the different voltage in Europe.
This discussion has been closed.