Options

Kenya Security Post

The State Department yesterday, January 14, 2013, issued a warning regarding terrorism threats in Kenya Does someone know if Tauck will cancel a trip if the risk is too high?

Comments

• Options
    Hi DonSantell...I read the State Department advisory you referenced from January 14. This advisory is very similar to a series of alerts published by State just prior to our Tauck Tanzania / Kenya safari in January 2012 and again when we returned to Tanzania in October / November 2012. In fact, I was concerned enough a year ago that I communicated with Tauck, the American Embassy (in both Tanzania and Kenya) and read THE NATION (an on-line East Africa newspaper) to monitor developments every day for 2 months prior to our departure.

I cannot respond for Tauck. I am sure you will hear from them but, in the meantime, maybe our experience will help. First, let me say that we had no problems whatsoever on either of our trips in 2012. In fact, my wife and I plan to return to East and South Africa twice more this year. I should also say that both of us felt totally at ease on both trips and were warmly treated by every Tanzanian and Kenyan we encountered.

On our Tauck trip, our Tauck Director talked by cellphone to her contacts at the airlines and hotels before we moved from one location to the next. She was totally plugged in to what was happening in each locale. In my conversations with her, she said Tauck had prepared in advance for all types of contingencies. For example, if a problem occurred at Jomo Kenyatta Airport in Nairobi then arrangements would be made to fly us home out of Arusha, Dar es Salaam or another airport.

I don't blame you for being concerned, especially if you are taking family members with you. I was and I grew up in Africa. But, you are traveling with a very experienced, professional company that values their reputation for safety. You might wish to give Tauck a call if you don't hear anything in the next few days. I'm sure their response will put your mind at ease....Leo M

• Options
    Thanks for your post. You put me somewhat more at ease.
  • Options
    Hi donsantell,

At Tauck, we are constantly monitoring travel conditions of the destinations we visits whether it be political or Mother Nature. We are well aware of this new travel warning and as of this posting, we are scheduled to operate as planned. We are monitoring the evolving situation and will update our guests immediately if there are any changes.

The safety and security of our guests and employees remain our highest priorities.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
This discussion has been closed.