Options

Tauck Tours Gay Friendly?

Hello,

My husband and I have heard rave reviews and are interested in taking the Tauck tour to Italy. I have read elsewhere that Tauck and their tour guides are not gay friendly and that makes me hesitant to book the trip for obvious reasons. I am hoping that it isn't true. Any feedback would be appreciated, especially from other gay couples who have traveled with Tauck.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Graywolf,

I can only comment from the other side of the fence ;), but after 16 solo tours with Tauck to various parts of the world, but mainly North America, I can't say that I have noticed one way or t'other. I've met people travelling together for all sorts of reasons ... not that I've been privy to the reasons. Frankly, I don't give a flying fig why they're travelling together. I haven't travelled with any raging party types, of hetro persuasion for that matter, either. Well, not that I knew! ;)

I would have thought Tauck far too professional a company to be "unfriendly". I can't comment on the biases of everyone else who travels ... a microcosm of the rest of society would be my guess. I will say that I have found some people to be ... um ... very firm in their views, but I have found that to be the case wherever, not specifically on Tauck tours. Some fellow travellers have been my kind of people. Other times, not so much. Some people are more social, more inclusive (from a single traveller's point of view) than others. Some groups and/or couples just stick together. They're not mixers. But that's the luck of the draw. I travel to see, learn and experience not primarily to meet people.

After 16 trips with Tauck I keep travelling with them because I think they are pretty good (Aussie understatement!). I've only heard rave review of their Italian trips.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    I have been on several tours I have never encountered any issues whatsoever and I too bat for your team. Just go and enjoy.....life is too short to fret!
  • Options
    I have been on 9 tours so far and, also, have not noticed bad treatment of anyone. The TD are always professional even when dealing with difficult people. You will always encounter someone that has a problem with gays in life and I would imagine on a tour of possibly 40 people you might have someone that has a problem, but I say you are on tour have fun and just stay away from those types of people the way you would in the work place or else where.

My recent trip to Australia/New Zealand had 3 gay people that I was aware of and 2 traveling together. No one gave them any problem and we all had a blast.

It is the luck of the draw who goes on tours and I have had good luck as a solo traveller that is important, because I have to rely on good company to have people to eat with. I don't care who is who as long as we have fun and see great sights.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone, this was wonderfully helpful and much appreciated!
  • Options
    Hi,

My husband and I have been on over 18 Tauck Tours in 30 years of traveling with them and have NEVER witnessed any Tauck tour guides showing any adverse feelings toward any gay person on any of our tours. Someone must have started a vicious rumor and it got picked up by another website. It could have been a local guide in a country whose culture didn't approve of being gay. Just go and you will see that the well traveled people that Tauck appeals to are very friendly!

Sheila M.
  • Options
    I'd love to travel with you guys. My mother and I are going to South Aftrica on April 12th.....c'mon we'd have a ball.
  • Options
    come on the Classic Italy tour Sept. 4th. I have booked as single traveller would love to hang out with you guys.
  • Options
    That be great!! We are hopefully going to Classic Italy tour in late April early May for our 10 year anniversary!! If something changes ill let you know.
This discussion has been closed.