Options

Currency

While buying gifts and trinkets from the people in Kenya and Tanzania, did you use their currency or our dollars?

Comments

• Options
    We were there in August and American dollars worked anywhere we went. In most cases a credit card gave us the best exchange rate.
    Gary
  • Options
    Thank you, that makes everything so much easier.
  • Options
    Cantraveler, are you saying that the people selling trinkets and jewelrly at Olduvai Gorge and on the plains at the end of the ballon ride are going to take my credit card?
  • Options
    No, just in some centers on the way and all large towns.. However they will take American dollars everywhere so have small denominations. One of our party bought trinkets in Tanzania from a Massi while we were taking pictures in the middle of no where. Make sure you bargain. There is a great little shop at the airport at Mt. Kenya. Good quality goods and prices better than the hotel in Nairobi. If you like it buy it as you may never see it again except the cheap stuff which you will see everywhere and is mass produced.
  • Options
    My wife and I were on this Safari in September, 2012. Everyone takes American dollars. 2005 or later, new looking bills if possible. No marks on the bills. $600 to $1000 in cash should be enough. There aren't many ATMs on the savannah. Take lots of pictures (Nikon has a great 18-300 zoom lens). Unforgettable trip. Ana, our tour director was outstanding. Have a great Safari!!!
This discussion has been closed.