Accommodations Question

Hi. We are planning a trip to Ireland in 2013 and weighing using Tauck again, or making different arrangements. We went on the England, Scotland , Wales trip in 2012. Overall it was a positive experience,but there was one hotel that was definitely substandard. In researching the Best of Ireland Tour, I found that one of the hotels listed on the itinerary is in "Administration" (foreclosure?) and is up for sale. I called Tauck over a week ago and they were going to look into it and get back to me "probably later today". So far, I have heard nothing. Needless to say, this makes me a bit concerned about booking. Typically if there is not good follow up for a prospective customer, it does not bode well for the transaction. I would appreciate any tips on how to get questions/concerns addressed. Thank you.

Comments

• You didn't say which Hotel your questioning?
    But we were on this trip this past Summer and I have to tell you that
    Every Single place we had stayed was far beyond any other Tauck
    Trip we have been on. Tauck is known to use the best Hotel Available
    in the area... If a small town doesn't have a 5 Star then you of course
    are Limited!

This was our 7th Tauck Trip and the "Best of Ireland" was Top Notch
    all the way. We had a wonderful time and actually are still talking about it.

As far as Customer Service Goes, I would suggest the best way for
    you to get more information is over the Phone. These boards are a
    bit on the Slow side.
  • Thank you for responding. I am relieved to hear your positive comments about the accommodations last summer. According to news articles the Erne Lough is in Administration and is for sale.

I have tried the phone, but there has been a lack of follow thru...maybe Tauck would hire you to follow up on posts. :-)

I really appreciate your input...many thanks and safe travels!
  • edited December 2012
    I also, have had trouble obtaining any reply to over six emails since Nov 2, about my incorrect confirmation of a reservation.

I received one canned reply that said to check these pages.

It is odd that this company does not have better customer service and better phone agents, ones who can properly type up a reservation.

Their web page for customers to connect to their reservation doesn't work. WT? !!

• Children, children! 'Tis the season to be jolly and the time for goodwill amongst all men......

If you look at the introduction to the Travel Forums you'll see that the Tauck offices are in holiday mode to coincide with your "holiday" season. I'm sure if you follow the instructions to phone the office after the 2nd of January you will have better luck with your inquiry.

Happy Saturnalia!

Jan
  • Jdurkin-My initial conversation with Tauck was well before December 20th, so I don't think the holiday schedule was the issue...

Steffan-I actually had better follow thru by talking with someone in the reservations dept. I spoke with someone on Monday and she just called back. She had followed thru and spoken with the people who do the booking and explained that the situation with the hotel is not uncommon at this point in time and that Tauck has been assured that the quality of the service will not be negatively impacted. (Kudos to Rita for providing the type of service one would expect from a first class company...:-)...and extra points for making this happen during a holiday week). I am still not sure what happened with "customer service", but I suggest you try calling Tauck's reservations dept. Good luck and safe travels!
  • We just returned from the Best of Ireland and Lough Erne was one of the highlights of the trip!!!
  • We agree, Lough Erne was one of several great locations for our overnite stays while in Ireland. You have to remember that the G-8 conference of world leaders was just held there in 2013. The hotel is beautiful, and the accomodations and staff are top notch. We found everythere was more than willing to please. You have to keep in mind that this is a TAUCK Tour. We have found that these hotel staffs understand what it is to keep Tauck and their travelling guests happy and satisfied with their stays. At least, we have always made the observation that this is a truism.
  • edited December 2013
    We stayed at that hotel also. Great location and a nice golf course if you have the time to play. I did and it was very challenging. The resort has been for sale for some time. Nick Faldo has some ownership interests in the golf course. I am sure that whatever happens you'll still be able to stay there or Tauck will make appropriate arrangements.

The hotels on this trip were excellent with the exception of the hotel in Shannon. I wasn't very impressed with that one. We saw cats walking in the lobby (even though they denied they let the cats in) and it did effect our allergies. The Royal Horseguards was a fantastic hotel. We had a little problem with a neighbor (loud music and smoking in a non-smoking area) and they put us in the apartment on the top floor. Even without that, the room was large and had a great view of the Thames and London Eye.

Hopefully, you'll be in Edinburgh for the Tattoo. That is a fantastic show. Prior to making the reservation, I had no idea of what it was. I viewed it on YouTube and it was even better live. (They told me I'd be there in time for the "Tattoo" and I said, "Why would I want to get a tattoo?" Stupid me. It was great.)
This discussion has been closed.