What about seasickness and traveling in the Southern Ocean?

Hi,

I have always wanted to go to Antarctica. I have been looking at many different trips. Some also go to South Georgia and the Falklands - which sounds well worth it. Some actually involve flying, completely avoiding the Drake Passage.

I am quite prone to motion sickness. Even on mild ocean cruises I always wear wrist bands for the entire trip - even when things are calm. If I take them off I begin to be bothered by even the gentle motions of the ship such as down in the Caribbean, plus I take meclizine depending on how I'm reacting to the motion onboard ship.

I have been reading, quite frankly, what are some horror stories about hurricane force winds and extremely heavy seas while traversing not only on the Drake but also other areas in the Southern ocean. Should I even consider going on this trip? It is undeniably the chance of a lifetime, but I just don't know about spending considerable $$$ only to get sick for both the north and south crossings of the passage. If possible, I'd prefer to find a trip that crosses the Drake in one direction.

If you have any advice it'll be well taken. I realize, of course, that sometimes the Drake can be very mild and I suppose it is luck of the draw. As some reviews put it - you either get "Drake lake" or "Drake rake". With my luck it'd probably be the rake! I'd almost be willing to suffer some seasickness for the sake of being able to visit such an amazing place, but neither do I want to feel lousy for the majority of the trip.

Another concern I have is how demanding are the expeditions on the Zodiac boats? I've been reading about both wet and dry landings. Do you supply the boots for these excursions? How rough is the water that is encountered during these excursions? Is that another concern for me as someone prone to motion sickness? I grew up in a family that frequently went power boating and even in the rough waves with the boat jumping up and down over waves that never really bothered me - and so I suppose it's conceivable that I am worrying way too much about all this. It seems to be the more gentle rolling and pitching of the cruise liner that bothers me more. Then again, I've never been in real rough seas either.

Thanks so much for any encouragement or warnings! If the bulk of the advice I encounter is to not go on this trip, I will likely abide by it and admire Antarctica by viewing videos of it! I would love to go though :)

Best,
three4rd

Comments

• Hi,

When my husband and I sailed around Cape Horn in 2001, we had Lake Drake. The lecturer who was aboard the ship had done this cruise in both directions about 35 times. He said it was the calmest he had ever experienced. My husband just booked antartica for january 2014. It's the last continent for his bucket list. I won't be joining him. I know that it wouldn't be fun doing the landings whether wet or dry. There is a very interesting article in the December 2012 issue of Conde Nast Traveler entitled "Amazing Antartica". I hope you get some good reponses to your questions on this travel forum since there are very few sailings and they get filled up fast. You can only go in December, January and February. The price includes a jacket and they have boots to supply the passengers for their use. You can also look into some ships which cruise S.A.and do an airplane trip to one stop in Antartica from Ushia such as Crystal.

Sheila
This discussion has been closed.