Options

When is the best time for the Blue Danube Cruise

Hello,

We are planning the cruise for next year and would like to know if Spring or Fall is the better time for cruising?
Also, does one get the opportunity to taste the cuisines from the region, I see many meals on the ship?
Any free lunches/dinners on land to explore the area?
What is the activity level when off the boat?
Would appreciate this information before booking.
Thanks,
Skoo

Comments

• Options
    I went a few years ago the last 2 weeks of Aug. Beginning was very hot most of middle cold (fall like in New England). End in Prague very nice.--Have no idea if this is normal for that area but everyone did not bring a warm jacket was expecting warmer weather.
  • Options
    Hello Skoo,

Can I have your permission to send you a our Trip Planner for the Blue Danube river cruise? I believe most of your answers will be there. Also, have you gone through the Blue Danube travel forums? There are many helpful tips. https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=topics&f=44

Hope this helps,
    Emily

• Options
    Hi Emily. Can you please send me a trip planner for the Blue Danube river cruise. You mentioned it to Skoo. I think it would be helpful as I have already booked this trip for next May. Thanks
  • Options
    Hi,
    My husband and I are booked on the cruise leaving 7/25, could we also have a trip planner sent to us?

Thank you,
    Sue
  • Options
    Hi Lenora,

We are booked on the May 30 east bound trip. Are you on that one? We took the Holland river cruise last year and we are now hooked on River cruises.

Bev
  • Options
    Skoo wrote:
    Hello,

We are planning the cruise for next year and would like to know if Spring or Fall is the better time for cruising?
    Also, does one get the opportunity to taste the cuisines from the region, I see many meals on the ship? Any free lunches/dinners on land to explore the area?
    What is the activity level when off the boat?
    Would appreciate this information before booking.
    Thanks,
    Skoo

We just returned from the Prague to Budapest river cruise and it can only be described as magnificent.
    Our suggestions: 1) for warmer temps we suggest traveling the latter part of August or September; 2) the meals on the ship are planned to reflect the cuisine of the region that you are passing through; 3) there is free time given off the ship for lunches and dinners (some paid by Tauck and some on your own)which inlcude recommendations for regional cuisine; 4) the activity level off the boat includes planned excursions with knowledgeable local tour guides or free time, your choice;5) we would suggest that you purchase the extra travel insurance - we were delayed returning home due to hurricane Sandy and Tauck took care of the additional accomodations needed.

This was our first river cruise and we can't say enough good things about the experience. Tauck takes care of all details and efficiently sees to it that you experience the unique culture of each of the countries visited. The entire trip was amazing. We're already planning our next trip with Tauck.
  • Options
    Hello Skoo,

Can I have your permission to send you a our Trip Planner for the Blue Danube river cruise? I believe most of your answers will be there. Also, have you gone through the Blue Danube travel forums? There are many helpful tips. https://www.tauck.com/yaf/default.aspx?g=topics&f=44

Hope this helps,
    Emily

Thanks Emily for your response and offer to send me the Trip Planner. Can you please do so.
    I thought I'm in the Blue Danube travel forum, is there another one? I will check the site you have listed.
  • Options
    We just returned from the Prague to Budapest river cruise and it can only be described as magnificent.
    Our suggestions: 1) for warmer temps we suggest traveling the latter part of August or September; 2) the meals on the ship are planned to reflect the cuisine of the region that you are passing through; 3) there is free time given off the ship for lunches and dinners (some paid by Tauck and some on your own)which inlcude recommendations for regional cuisine; 4) the activity level off the boat includes planned excursions with knowledgeable local tour guides or free time, your choice;5) we would suggest that you purchase the extra travel insurance - we were delayed returning home due to hurricane Sandy and Tauck took care of the additional accomodations needed.

This was our first river cruise and we can't say enough good things about the experience. Tauck takes care of all details and efficiently sees to it that you experience the unique culture of each of the countries visited. The entire trip was amazing. We're already planning our next trip with Tauck.

Thanks Linda and Bill for your information and so glad you had a wonderful vacation. So you are suggesting late summer or early fall and not spring? I hope that the Trip Planner indicates the "level" of activity. Several of my previous trips with Tauck indicated Moderate which is not specific. From experience, anything Moderate involves mostly uneven surfaces, hilly terraine, 1-3 hours on your feet and very little sitting areas during the tour. Just want to be prepared this time. I have already suggested changing their levels to be more specific. Extra travel insurance is a great idea and we've always carried it if traveling during hurricaine season and you live on the east coast.
    Can you suggest any great restaurants or "on your own" excursion suggestions?
    Thanks again! SKOO
  • Options
    We are first time Tauck cruisers on the July 25th Blue Danube Eastbound. Any advice from others who have taken this route at this time of year? Anyone have trouble with the amount of water in the river? Looking forward to a new adventure with friends.
    Thanks!
    Jazzy
  • Options
    Has anyone been to this area( The Blue Danube) during the Late May early June time of the year? How did you find the weather to be?
    My husband and I are planning to go after tax season and wanted cooler weather since we are from Miami and
    were hoping to get out of the heat for a while. Thanks, Susie
  • Options
    Hi Susie,

We are also from Miami and are scheduled for the May 30th cruise. According to a friend who was in Prague in June, the weather is similar to the short cool front that we had. She said to bring a light jacket. We plan to do just that and to bring a couple of layering pieces. We took the Holland cruise last year and we are looking forward to the Danube.

BEV
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    My husband and I did the August 23 trip this year, Prague to Budapest. It was the most incredible experience!! Our travel agent told us Tauck was the most expensive of the riverboat trips (the "Rolls Royce") but it was worth every penny.
    Weather was hot the first few days (Prague and Regensburg) and I was kicking myself for not having put in any shorts, but then cooled down to delightful for the rest of the trip. Most of the time on the top deck, you wanted a light sweater or jacket because of the breeze. (At our dinner in Vienna, unfortunately, it was hotter than hell, even after they opened the windows.)
    As for dress - anything went for daytime (shorts, jeans, khakis, etc.). In the evening for dinner on the riverboat, Tauck allowed anything EXCEPT shorts or jeans. Most men wore jackets, some also wore ties as well. Ladies just looked nice in dresses or pants. For the dinner in Vienna, men were requested to wear jackets and ties but permission was given to ditch them after we arrived (as I said above) because it was so hot. Ladies looked very nice. At the farewell dinner in Budapest, they told the men ahead of time not to bother with the finery because of the heat but it was quite pleasant and not stifling at all at the Akademia Klub and most did wear jackets/ties.
    Meals on the ship were fabulous. And the welcome dinner the first night in Prague was outstanding. After dinner entertainment was fun. They played "Name That Tune" one night which was a scream and don't miss the crew talent show - adorable.
    Tours are over a lot of uneven pavement and a fair amount of sloping streets up and down. If you have a choice and he's still doing it, when in Passau, make sure you get in Wolf's group for the tour. He was the best local guide - outstanding. Informative and entertaining.
    Our tour directors (Brian, Sabina and Glorija) were the absolute best. they were very informative and interesting with their "preview" talks about the next place we would visit and always had funny stories to go along with it.
    They and everyone on the Swiss Jewel couldn't do enough for you.
    Trying to think of what else I can include. In general - it was an unforgettable trip. I'm already planning the next one in 2014 - Paris to Monte Carlo on the Rohn!
  • Options
    Hello Tauck Emily,
    Will you please send us the travel planner, I see you mentioning, for the May 9th Blue Danube cruise?
    Thank you,
    Bill and Patty
  • Options
    TheSaluki wrote:
    Hello Tauck Emily,
    Will you please send us the travel planner, I see you mentioning, for the May 9th Blue Danube cruise?
    Thank you,
    Bill and Patty

Hello Bill and Patty,

I have sent you a travel planner to the email address we have on file. Trip planners for all of our trips can be found on the itinerary pages on the Tauck website.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    We are on the July 25 Blue Danube tour and also would like the travel planner for that week. Thanks so much....
  • Options
    Ellen T wrote:
    We are on the July 25 Blue Danube tour and also would like the travel planner for that week. Thanks so much....

Hello Ellen T,

Your trip planner has been emailed to you.

Best,
    Emily
  • Options
    Tauck family.....we are on the 8/7 Blue Danube cruise and would also like the travel planner==
    requested it from your 800 number a few weeks ago and it never came...suggest you look into this...many thanks, looking forward to a great trip.
  • Options
    chipshot wrote:
    Tauck family.....we are on the 8/7 Blue Danube cruise and would also like the travel planner==
    requested it from your 800 number a few weeks ago and it never came...suggest you look into this...many thanks, looking forward to a great trip.

Hello chipshot,

I've emailed you a Trip Planner to the email address we have on file.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    Hello Skoo,

Hope this helps,
    Emily

I am also planning a trip on the Blue Danube river cruise. Would you kindly send me a Trip Planner for the Blue Danube river cruise?

Thanks,
    Barbara
  • Options
    Tauck Emily,

Could you send me the Trip Planner for the Blue Danube cruise that we will taking October 24th?

Thanks,
    John
    john.anthony @ suddenlink.net
    (no spaces)
  • Options
    Tauck Emily,

I am scheduled for the Blue Danube trip July 10th and very much would appreciate a trip planner emailed to me!

Thanks so much, Jole
  • Options
    my wife and I are also on the July 10th trip, look forward to meeting you
  • Options
    Hi Emily,

Could you please send me a Blue Danube planner! My sister and I are going on the August cruise and are in the final planning stages of packing. We could really use it.....bbunch001@aol.com. Thanks
  • Options
    Hi Emily,

Could you please send me a Blue Danube planner! My sister and I are going on the August cruise and are in the final planning stages of packing. We could really use it.....bbunch001@aol.com. Thanks
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Hello Meemee,

I have sent you a trip planner to your aol account.

Hope this helps,
    Emily
  • Options
    Hi Emily

One more request for the Danube planner :) soozee11 @ yahoo .com

For future inquiries - is it perhaps posted on the site somewhere?

I'm on the Aug 29th tour with friends and family. My first river cruise.

Much appreciated!

Suzanne
This discussion has been closed.