Options

Gratuity Bill

What's the point in paying gratuity when the drivers of where ever destination you are traveling to see none of that? I am an experienced driver from a company that works with tauck tour and I hate it when they give me tauck tour people to take to the hotels. Because they paid the gratuity we don't ever get tip and tauck people aren't allowed to drive with another guests, only from the same company... This is total bs.

Comments

• Options
    You have a novel view. Less than 2 weeks ago I personally handed an envelope to the driver of my Tauck tour coach. My money, by my own hand, freely and joyfully given. There was no gratuity bill to pay at all. In all my Tauck trips I have never seen such a bill as you describe. I have also personally seen Tauck Tour Directors hand envelopes to other drivers, not necessarily those driving the Tauck coach. I can only assume those envelopes did not contain an invitation to afternoon tea.

I must say, that while I do understand that social customs and mores differ the whole world over, it does concern me that your point appears to be that although Tauck does tip, they don't tip you. Mmm. I don't know where in the world you live (Tauck travels all over the world) but I am guessing from your syntax that English might not be your first language.

Personally, I hold the view that one tips for exceptional service, rather than as a routine or even as an expected outcome. That's the social custom where I live. Tipping is to acknowledge that a particular individual has gone above and beyond what that person is actually paid to do. On one rare occasion I did not give a tip at all to the Tour Director. That was because I considered that person did not do his job in the first place, let alone do it well. You might think my view is strange and I accept that it is viewed that way in places where workers are not paid a living wage or where begging is common place. When I travel I try as far as possible to blend in with the local customs. If and when I have difficulty with those customs I try to avoid particular situations.

I don't think this is quite the right space in which to air your labour law concerns, that is if you are seeking a positive result or a change in your circumstances. Mostly people post here if they are considering taking a trip, perhaps with Tauck, or if they are seeking further information from past travellers. Good luck with your efforts. Everyone deserves to live a safe and happy life.

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Hello Balsmith,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and concerns.

Please feel free to email me: social@tauck.com and I can put you in touch with someone that can help.

Best,
    Emily

• Options
    Sounds to me like this driver is the one who picks up at airports and takes the guests to their hotel. The Tauck guests are told in advance that any tips for the "taxi" service are handled by Tauck. If this person received no tip, I would be looking at the Tauck tour director for an explanation. This is an issue that should be directed to Tauck management which appears to be what has already happened. Would be nice to see a Tauck followup as to what went on here.

Tom
This discussion has been closed.