Options

October 29 Grand Australia trip

We are from the Philadelphia suburbs and are leaving to arrive two days early in Melbourne for the October 29,2012 Tour. Getting excited and trying to decide what to take. Since we normally go carry on and am told by Air New Zealand that only one carry on allowed out of LAX (even when flying Business Class) because of security checks, am trying to figure out how to do that; check a bag each and avoid cross-packing, which doesn't seem to work for us. Any hints helpful. Will check weather predictions just before final pack.

Anyone else on this tour?

Comments

• Options
    Have you checked the Air New Zealand web site yourself? I just did because I thought your carry on baggage details were wrong. I've taken the flight to Australia via Auckland from SFO many times (most recently in August 2011) and in business class I have always taken the standard 2 pieces ... carry on plus personal item.... Don't take my word for it ... check the Air New Zealand site yourself. Look for the long haul details. As far as I am aware, baggage allowance has nothing to do with security checks imposed by US authorities, nor does it differ between SFO & LAX. Are you perhaps referring to the included charter fights that are part of your Tauck tour?

I must have missed something in your query, because I can't understand why you don't check in a piece of luggage ... 2 if you are travelling business. If you are travelling with Air New Zealand your luggage is included in your fare... unless it exceeds the limits, where an extra fee might apply. The rules some US carriers apply aren't those generally applied by regular international airlines. Or perhaps you are planning on buying the things you will need for a trip to Australia and NZ when you get to Melbourne?

As for what to pack, given the season, I'd suggest a bit of everything! Plan on layering with something waterproof. You'll need hot weather gear for the Centre and the tropical north. With luck, you will miss the cyclone/rainy season!

Sorry, I don't really understand your query.

Cheers,

Jan

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Sorry if I wasn't clear in my post.

Actually, because the Air New Zealand website is confusing as to baggage allowance (there is a caveat that says flights out of US airports are an exception to carry on allowance), I called and spoke directly with an ANZ agent. She told me that "only at LAX" do they permit only one carry on, even in Business Class, because of the time required to get through security. "it takes too long if we allow people more than one carry on".

My concern was because we do not like to check luggage for fear of it not reaching the destination with us, especially with a connecting flight in Auckland--it has happened. We pack as light as possible and managed to travel to China for 3 weeks with carry on wheeled duffles and smaller hand carry bags. Perhaps what we should do is wait until we get to LA and speak with the check in agent to see if they will allow us to take our duffles on with us. Perhaps it IS different going out of SFO but I was writing based on what I was told by ANZ.

It would be easier to pack if we knew which bags we can take on board especially since we are staying one night in LAX before our flight to Melbourne and will require change of clothes there.

While we are in the habit of discarding some items of clothing as a trip progresses, shopping for all our clothes once we get there was never a thought.

Hope you were kidding about the cyclones/rains!
  • Options
    Hi CL & DL,

I think some of the confusion might have arisen because of the "type" of airline ticket you are travelling on. If you read the Air NZ site, you get a feel for the issues involved. But a I understand it, you will only be transiting in Auckland on your way to Melbourne, so you should be good. If you are overnighting in LA before flying on, you will have to go through the entire security rigmarole. If you were in transit I can possibly understand the point about 1 carry on only (given the propensity of travel agents to never allow enough transfer time!). I've just flown through a few airports in the US domestically SFO, Denver, Grand Junction & Las Vegas and SFO internationally on this past Tuesday morning & nowhere at the security stage was I told I had too many carry on pieces. I had 2 ... 3 if you counted the small handbag I usually try to stash in a carry on before the gate. You get the lecture about carry ons at the gate.

I understand your concerns about lost luggage, but you will be flying on a decent international airline that is not particularly known for mishandling or misdirecting luggage. That said, touch wood!!!;)) Please don't predicate your down under travel experience by US domestic standards! I do understand your concerns ... I make sure I have every possible cable & recharging device in my carry ons in the US!

And no, I wasn't joking about the weather! Not really. The rainy/cyclone season for the Top End is from November to March, but since you are still early in the season, you should be lucky. That's why I always advise travellers to avoid this time ... why would you put yourself through all the trauma of leaving the States just to arrive in the rainy season in the tropical north! There are much nicer times to visit that area than December/January! November is a good compromise. And you will have quite a variety of mini seasons to deal with... so you might want to reconsider checking a couple of cases!

Have fun! You are in for a wonderful trip, but then, I' biased!

Cheers,

Jan
  • Options
    Hi CL & DL,

Your carry-on baggage question definitely caught my attention. My husband and I are joining the Grand Australia and New Zealand tour next year. We are overnighting in Los Angeles before flying on Air New Zealand the following evening. SInce we are flying Business Class I had always thought that we would be allowed 2 carry-ons, so your dilemma was interesting to me. I checked a website for LAX and they did state on their website that only 1 carry-on was allowed, so I called our travel agent and she said that 2 carry-ons are allowed. Definitely confusing! I then called and talked with an Air NZ agent and asked her about the policy. She said that this has been an confusing issue. She did say that 2 carry-ons were allowed with a Business Class ticket. The carry-ons can not be more than 15 lbs for each carry-on. She was so pleasant and helpful with this question and a few other questions I had. So, unless we hear otherwise, we are going with 2 carry-ons for each of us. This actually means a "regular" carry-on plus a personal item which has always included a back-pack for us. The toll free number I used was 1-800-262-1234. Whenever we travel this has also been what we use for our carry-ons. I hope that you find out the same information from your sources. Please let the forum know how your trip went when you return. I hope that you have a fabulous adventure!!
This discussion has been closed.