Suggestions for free time

Does anyone who has been on this tour have any suggestions as to the best way to spend free time (Tel Aviv, Jerusalem,etc)?
Also, good restaurant suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• I wish there was a way to send private messages. I have put together a word document with info I've collected for the trip, but don't want to take up all the space on here to post it....it's four pages long.
    If you want to share your email address I could send it to you.
  • I'd love to have the document. You could sent it to rdpsdp68@hotmail.com. Thank you so much.
  • I sent you two emails with documents attached. Enjoy!
  • For our "free time", we went to Diaspora museum in Tel Aviv but on the day before tour started. You don't really have that much free time unless you opt out of some stuff. There is a few hours in Jerusalem after Israeli Museum. We opted to stay at museum since it is a fantastic museum and you only see the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Jerusalem model (at time of 2nd Temple).
    There is time to shop since the stores/shops are open into the evening. In Jerusalem there is Mimola mall right next to the hotel and Ben Yahuda street is a5-10min walk.
  • Good restaurants for "free" nites:
    Tel Aviv: Manta Ray, on the water down towards Old Jaffa.
    Savanas near hotel in "upscale" district.
    Haifa: several options right near hotel.
    In Jerusalem: several good options on Mimola mall and we went to a "dairy" restaurant Ticho very nice not touristy in a lovely garden and museum. Hard to find but get directions.

Concierges at hotel are helpful in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.
  • John, thank you for your very informative post. We leave next week. The question I have is about the Diaspora Museum. We arrive in Tel Aviv on April 27 in the afternoon. The tour starts in the evening on the 28th. Will we have time during the day on the 28th to visits the Diaspora Museum before the welcome dinner. I was assuming we would, but from your post, it sounds like it has to be done the day before. How far away is it and how much time did you spend there?
  • edited April 2011
    We arrived the day before at noontime (Delta from JFK). After check in at hotel, we walked up the street (5 min) to Carmel Market (outstanding, got our first falafel fix). Had dinner that night at Manta Ray to watch sunset over the Mediterranean. concierge made reservations.

The next morning (day the tour "officially starts") we went by cab to Diaspora Museum (opens at 10). (Correction to original post, not the day before). Spent 2-3 hrs there. There is a place to eat in museum if you like. Took cab back to Old Jaffa, had lunch and walked around then back to hotel.

The welcome reception is not til 7pm so you have all day to "wander".

The Diaspora Museum is on 4 levels, the bottom 2 are devoted to Jewish Life. The upper 2 are the Diaspora per se. We ambled thru and were able to see it all in 2+ hours.
    Tip: When getting a cab, insist on "being on the meter". (This is actually a requirement but the cabbies want to tell you a flat rate is a better deal (NOT). It still is not that expensive (about 40 shekels). There is a cab stand right where the cab leaves you off.

The University campus is beautiful and the ride up and back goes by the beach which is interesting.
  • Don't know if this post is duplicated. I think I did something wrong when posting.

Thank you for the information and clarifying your next post.

New reports show some more trouble in Amman. I am trusting Tauck will keep us safe--as you mentioned they did not go to the hotel in Amman. I suspect that may be the case more and more as things progress in that region.
  • edited April 2011
    Yes Tauck keeps you out of harms way, not that it is that dangerous.
    Plan on going back to Movenpick Dead Sea after Petra. The food is good there and their Ice Cream is great. It is a Swiss Chain.

That will give you more time for spa, pools, Dead Sea etc. It really is a first class resort. Think beach resort. There is a nice plaza with many restaurant options. You are contained in the resort (there is nothing nearby).
  • edited April 2011
    Hi, schmerl,
    We would love to receive your document mentioned in your post!!!
    Departing for Tel Aviv tomorrow -- what fun!
    Shabbat Shalom,
    Peggy Jones
    Smapeggy@aol.com
  • Hi Peggy,
    I just saw your message so you may have already left, but I sent the documents.
  • To schmerl...we would like to have the document. My email is bufferbig@aol.com. Thank-you.
  • schmerl wrote:
    I wish there was a way to send private messages. I have put together a word document with info I've collected for the trip, but don't want to take up all the space on here to post it....it's four pages long.

Schmerl, I'm not sure I'm doing this correctly but I would love to receive your document. This will be a first time trip to the mid east (May 12th) for my wife and myself. I would also like to correspond with anyone else on this upcoming trip via email: rwaldorf@Comcast.net. Thanking you in advance, Richard (West Bloomfield, Mi).
  • Richard,
    I just sent the documents as I anxiously sit here waiting for my ride to the airport!!
  • edited May 2011
    I would love your list as well. We leave at 2:00 this afternoon, but if you happen to see this in time, please send it to me at newtonjane@aol.com.
    Thank you so much.
    Jane
  • Schmerl: Would also love to have your four pages for future reference....not going until October. Have been there several times but not with Tauck and, frankly, forget what it's critical to see. SandiBHess@comcast.net Thanks.
  • schmerl wrote:
    I wish there was a way to send private messages. I have put together a word document with info I've collected for the trip, but don't want to take up all the space on here to post it....it's four pages long.
  • schmerl wrote:

Would you mind sending a copy to me @ susan.golenbock@gmail.com? Many Thanks!
  • Hi Susan,
    I just sent it to you.
  • edited July 2011
    To Scherml or anyone who has documents with hints for the Isreal Jordan trip. Not sure if I am doing this right. We do not leave until 11/8/2011. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you--David King--reliefchecker@cox.net
  • schmerl wrote:

trying to get to you--not very good at this. would love to have the documents for this trip. Thanks David King reliefchecker@cox.net
  • Trying again. Would love to have the documents with hints on the Isreal Jordan trip. We leave 11/8/11. thanks. David King
    reliefchecker@cox.net

• edited July 2011
    Sorry about that, David; our profanity filter was a bit overzealous, but it's been fixed now. Your email address should be showing up correctly now!
  • edited July 2011
    LOL about the profanity filter!

David,
    I just sent you the documents.
  • edited October 2012
    schmerl wrote:

Good afternoon Schmerl, My husband and I are leaving next Monday, 10/29./12 for Israel and Jordan. This will be our first trip. If you could email me some of your info it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    ellen.perper@gmail.com
  • Hi Ellen (eperper) or schmerl -- can I get a copy of that document as well please?

email address is pcgilchrist@hotmail.com

After just watching the debate now overseas from Australia I can say it is coming down to the wire!

So you soon eperper

Peter
  • edited October 2012
    Hi Schmerl. Could we please have a copy too. We're leaving in 2 1/2 weeks. Thanks.

krpg73@verizon.net
  • schmerl wrote:

Hi
    Please share any suggestions to herbweil33@gmail.com
    We leave Victoria,B.C. Nov 11 to take the trip from Tel Aviv.Nov 13. It will be our first with Tauck
    tho we have taken Swan Hellenic each decade from 1984 when we were on research sabbatical
    in Cambridge.UK.
    Thanks.
    cheers
    Herb
This discussion has been closed.